Freezing Issue installed Fmodex64.dll file - Fix Needed

I got hyped by Rogue announcement and, after long time, tried to play Diablo 3 a bit today.

This problem is still not fixed. WTF.

Can confirm this still happens - I stopped playing during the last season because I lost multiple HC characters because of this issue.

Please Blizzard, fix this with the upcoming season…

1 Like

The current PTR running now has the freeze bug too.

I’ve installed the Fmodeex64.dll on both PTR and live D3 and am able to play “freeze free”.

This is a big deal.

Too bad Activsion got rid of the trouble shooting team with all their tricks, bangs and whistles long ago.

2 Likes

I play with a 4 player group. We have been playing togeather since D3 started, some years now. The Freeze problem have affected 3 of our 4 member party. The one player who has no problem is running win 7. 2 players use the FMODE no sound partial fix. I had to roll my Win version back from 20H2 but now i must update due to win requirements. Seems the problem is caused by something in the windows update. Seems such a far spread problem would be a priority to most credible businesses. What good is a game if you cant play it. Seems like a bad business model. Oh well im off to upgrade windows and get my Lagg then to the FMODE no sound fix.

2 Likes

Replacing Fmodex64.dll is not the player’s responsibility. I choose not to. The same applies to area damage in groups. If Blizzard doesn’t patch a long term game issue, that is their decision. Note: everyone that has replaced said file could potentially get banned.

Blizzard EULA (https://www.blizzard.com/en-us/legal/2c72a35c-bf1b-4ae6-99ec-80624e1b429c/blizzard-end-user-license-agreement

• License Limitations. Blizzard may suspend or revoke your license to use the Platform, or parts, components and/or single features thereof, if you violate, or assist others in violating, the license limitations set forth below. You agree that you will not, in whole or in part or under any circumstances, do the following:

1. Derivative Works: Copy or reproduce (except as provided in Section 1.B.), translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on or related to the Platform.
    1. Cheating: Create, use, offer, promote, advertise, make available and/or distribute the following or assist therein:
    1. cheats; i.e. methods, not expressly authorized by Blizzard, influencing and/or facilitating the gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;
    1. bots; i.e. any code and/or software, not expressly authorized by Blizzard, that allows the automated control of a Game, or any other feature of the Platform, e.g. the automated control of a character in a Game;
    1. hacks; i.e. accessing or modifying the software of the Platform in any manner not expressly authorized by Blizzard; and/or
    1. any code and/or software, not expressly authorized by Blizzard, that can be used in connection with the Platform and/or any component or feature thereof which changes and/or facilitates the gameplay or other functionality;
1 Like

You realise the main thread about this has a blue post where they suggest using the replacement of the .DLL as a workaround until they come up with a fix.

I’d consider a Blizzard post as express authorisation.

1 Like

I miss sound. Pretty absurd that I have to give that up to avoid lag and survive on HC. I guess this can simply be considered one of those seasonal changes that got implemented permanently into the game.

I have to say I have not experienced this freeze bug, but only the usual horrid lag that accompanies this game. :rage:

Suggest players start posting their system / windows information and D3 settings.

Older system. Intel i7-4790k (not overclocked), MSI z97 Gaming 5 motherboard, Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400 16gb ram, MSI RX 580, Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250gb. Win10Pro 19042.867, 20H2. D3 video settings (windowed full screen, Low FX checked, quality low or off), sound / music enabled, set 1-5, low 32, speaker HD, stereo. Realtek audio not installed. Fmodex64.dll not replaced; so I will freeze occasionally in higher GR group games.

Post your system / windows information and D3 settings.

I’m only posting as I’m not having issues at the moment:

Intel i3 7100
8GB DDR4 (2x4GB currently, plan to upgrade soon)
Silicon Power NVMe 512GB SSD
Samsung 850 Pro 2TB SATA SSD
Western Digital Blue 4TB HDD
MSI ITX Gamer B250
MSI nVidia GTX 1660 6GB firmware 90.16.34.00.1D driver version 460.79
Windows 10 20H2 up to date as of today
Acer Predator 24" 144hz gSync monitor (gSync enabled)
Vizio 24" LCD TV 60hz on HDMI

Now all that said, the D3 game plays from my Silicon Power drive.

However during PTR I saw the same freezes and that game runs from my Samsung SSD.

I do use analog connection for audio at the moment.

Just remembered that. But I have never had an issue with my live game to date.

Hi. Would you like to take a guess as to why I’m posting in this thread again, blizz?

3 Likes

I’m having the same issue…

No point crying about it. blizzard clearly have no idea how to fix this and the players have found a work around

1 Like

Lol i confused blizzard for a multi billion dollar company not a 5 man indi developer… Figured they could fix something that Players were able to fix.

Friking blizz whiteknights. wipe off your chin you got some stuff on it.

How is this still an issue when it was first posted in October 2020… I have to copy over the DLL file multiple times a day because the client keeps auto updating to remove it.

Can we at least get a blue post about it? At what point can we start a class action lawsuit?

The first post was earlier then this. Like June?

I’m simply referring to the first post of this thread. Which was Oct 2020

I’ve been having this issue for years. Glad others are finally having it so maybe in 3 years, Blizz will fix this…

Except we didn’t fix anything. We just found work arounds. I wish people would be more precise when blasting someone or someplace.

I also wish I knew why it doesn’t affect more players. Sucks to be those of you with the problem I guess. But its not like I want you all to have issues either. Just would be nice to know why it is happening in the first place, when it clearly doesn’t affect all of us.

Not all players are pushing mp high gr’s. Not so obvious when the screen not busy with mobs :smiley: