Freezing Issue installed Fmodex64.dll file - Fix Needed

I have played a lot of games over the years. D3 has had it’s moments with lag in areas, like when in multiplayer, but never in my years 1982 since I was given a Dick Smith System 80 have I experienced a game where you have to modify the programs sound or cpu files to make it playable.

Yes I have had to lower settings, but never knowingly and with knowledge by the programmers and providers had to alter some code to make it work efficiently.

They have blamed windows yet I have not heard of any other game with freezes due to FMOD errors.

I am not going to play without sound, and I am not going to lose another HC toon.

So, I am going to boycott and check back in a month to see if there is a blue post about a bug fix.

IMO, Blizz are too busy working on D4, D2R and D Immortal to waste time on D3. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Please don’t hold your breath as you will wake up in the emergency room.
Blizzard has had the problem listed by thousands for two years and no fix nor any info regarding it except for them saying to not use the fmod fix.

The Fmodx64 fix works for me and I am mainly HC.

Another problem I’ve had for last 5 - 6 years is when ever I launch the Battlenet launcher I get a Windows error message window that says, “a undefined USB device has been unplugged.”

Battlenet has many Windows issues and does not know how to fix them.

2 Likes

seems we have another buggy season coming :frowning: PTR notes have nothing logged for bug fixes. LAckOfVision has ruined Blizzard.

Yep seems so, NO fix at all. This is so disgusting.

lol game works fine in Windows 7 and 11, running spare Windows 11 for D3 now :frowning:

Latest Windows 10, whatever that is
i5 8400
16gb ram
250gb N2ME
RTX2070 super
Couple of 3440x1440 monitors

Random catastrophic freezes unless i make sure i have the 1.6mb version of fmode before starting the game

I have a scary feeling that we are looking into this more then Blizz is…
We’ve heard NOTHING about this in the past patch notes yet almost everyone is affected by it on PC.
Blizz, do you “hear us”?

6 Likes

So i have an old laptop that i was playing diablo on and was wondering, is it posible to fix this issue with an old version of the file? A file from season 13 which worked fine back in the day. Just wanted to know if any1 have already tried this. I would like the game not to freeze but would like the sounds as well if possible.

Central to the freezing issue seems to be Diablo 3’s sound file (Fmodex64.dll). Replace using one from another Blizzard game. I use the one from Heroes of the Storm (fmodex64_4_44_23.dll). Demonstrates how to create batch for launching D3 executable. I have old desktop with i7-4790k for playing D3. Another thing to try is to install video driver only. Set D3 video options to low or off. Web search for D3 performance and windows guides.

Check Levithan’s YouTube posted by Gekke back in November 2020.
[[Diablo 3] How To Fix Major Game Freezes In Season 22 feat. Leviathan's First RIP + Update - YouTube](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prwf8lD9LfE&ab_channel=Leviathan)

I miss playing with sound.

2 Likes

AS usual a lack of response from a Blue, they7 only reply when they can blame our hardware lol

Can you prove and link this official response? It has been going on for WAY too long now.

1 Like

@METALHEAD:

(sorry - I got carried away)

No update since 10-Sept-2020.

Take a look here for a detailed description of what might be the problem…

I don’t know if all of that is factual… but it kind of make sense to me. It would explain why only players on recent Windows 10 builds are having this issue when others, such as me running 1803, don’t. It would also explain why players switching to Windows 7 or using a dual boot with a Windows 10 build prior to 2004 don’t have the problem. It could also explain why @Crinel and @Crusader are not seeing the issue in Windows 11.

The thing that bugs me is… why doesn’t Blizzard come out and say what the issue is… especially if it’s something they have no control over such as the various Windows 10 versions.

3 Likes

Blizzard blamed AMD for Act2 Desolate freezing years ago. Blizzard based their coding on AMD guidance. AMD eventually patched it after months and months. Now Blizzard is blaming Microsoft for sound file freezing issue. Quite a few are using a fmodex64.dll work around. I use the one from Heroes of the Storm.

Just another MS patch, but not a cure all. [Microsoft releases KB5004296 update for Windows 10 to fix game performance problems and more (betanews.com)](https://betanews.com/2021/07/30/microsoft-releases-kb5004296-update-for-windows-10-to-fix-game-performance-problems-and-more/)

they will never fix this , if it’s really a microsoft problem and they fix it then Blizz will just blame someone else and not fix it :rage:

Most likely because of future collaberations, its bad to blame Microsoft because you will allways have to work closely with them for future projects.

And its weird as Developer to suggest your customers to install everything but the “newest” windows version.

I have a intagraded sound system on my win 7 computer. I have had fmod sound not ready 200ms for ever. I have tried most, but not playing with no sound.
New video cards, diffrent video cards. i have a i7 cpu tried the affinity option, i thought that helped but still chattered and fmod sound not ready200ms
Well I bought a creative AE-5 X with it’s own power to the sound card. This worked, I just installed no driver. Then went to windows control panel (sounds) and disabled othes sound systems. Then had to set it to second lowest settings and diable the enhancments, and let app take control. No fmod sound not ready in 103 griffs, I get allot of 3ms to 45ms sound READY. No chatter or freezing.

Dont reply to MealHead , Hes to involved in trying to BAN the BOTTERS lol

I don’t believe this statement has an ounce of truth to it.

The only response I saw from Blizzard concerning the Fmodex64.dll fix was that they strongly disagreed with using it.
And they said, “This appears to be a windows issue and there is nothing we can do about it.”

and yet they have created an entire PTR to try and resolve it :slight_smile:

1 Like