Follower surviving without immortality token

Hi guys, put this together today (click follower tab)
What do you guys think? Would it survive for GR pushing? Keen to get feedback from chaps who played in PTR
https://maxroll.gg/d3planner-ptr/446095950

I’m just wondering - will the set bonuses work on the follower? I’m only asking because I thought there was a large list of legendaries that won’t work on followers. I’m not referring to the emanates, but the powers working on the follower itself.

Granted, I just came back to the game last week or so, so I could be mistaken!

wudijo and dmkt both did some testing independently of each other, and I think they both came to the same conclusion: it works in lower and mid tier GRs, speed runs etc. but they just can’t survive well enough for a push.

dmkt’s post + video:

wudijo’s comments (starts around 6 minute mark)

1 Like

I’m not sure either, anyone else know?

Hmm, yeah I see that, but I wonder. With CC centric builds (AKA vyr archon) perhaps followers would be able to survive in these GR’s. Maybe maximus would help also as demon could soak up some of the damage…

The problem with follower survival is the AI. It will walk face first into a meat grinder with no attempt to avoid damage.

So far only Cain’s and Sage’s announced as working Sets that also emanate but if you look at the videos over the web, I think it’s possible for them to wear something like Captain Crimson or even Blackthorne’s.

I think Followers can deal damage on their own up to a degree (Thorns? Stacking elemental damage?) but still that will costs you crowd control and debuffs they can take. When you decide to remove immortality token from them, you also should consider the life sustain and their survival as well.
When they deal damage they will always be weak at crowd control or debuffs, replacing immortal token with any other legendary token only increases their debuff uptime.

The damage and survivability will be too low no matter what the follower wear. So there is no point wearing anything but the immortal token.

1 Like

Sort of. If you can push the envelope on speed farming, even a little bit, it help solo players bridge the enormous mountain of a gap between solo and party. That said, we are talking about a drop in a bucket, if that.

And by that I mean wearing the all skills or reduce CD trinkets so you do slightly more damage, etc.

OK now my question is if they are able to do like 120 or a bit higher and that is your goal GR for your build, is it even worthwhile to spend all that time finding the gear for them that actually makes it possible? Cause it seems like you would need quite specific stats on all of them. Sure you are doing it in unison with your own grind but will it be worth it?

Are you trolling?

Your follower gear has 1k vit Caldesann’s…

Your stat weights are all wrong. And your follower will not survive beyond GR100.

Int/Vit/Armor are the standard. Regen where possible. And you must Aug STR/DEX for additional armor.

They can take a reasonable amount of damage, but the problem, as dmkt demonstrated is recovery. Without the devs implementing some of the DR options available to player characters, making them survive in pushing settings, is not viable without the cannot die relic.

There is no real reason to start this thread, when there was a thread made by dmkt where gear choices were shown. And that with this incredibly bad planner link.

It is possible to make the follower survive in 120s with EXP gear like a zBarb without the cannot die relic.

This in my estimation is a good base to build off of, https://maxroll.gg/d3planner-ptr/551716518 - There are no augments applied, which should all be Armor. With these perfect rolls the DR value already sits at 80%+

You could probably twink some of the rolls, to include slightly more IAS, to reach 2 APS. Which could help recovery a little bit.

I do not currently play anything that would need a Templar or Scoundrel, so cannot vouch for anything that they do or provide. Or the change in gear. It is likely easier to gear the Templar, as he provides himself some healing. And thus easier to make him survive, both with skills and gear additions that the Enchantress does not have access to.

It is interesting to note that Health Globes visually signal on pickup for the follower. Just like you would see on your player character. Though whether its actually providing any healing isn’t something I bothered testing.

What I did notice while testing PTR, is the strange interaction between the chest/shoulders. Seems when the shoulders proc, it immediately applied the chest affix. I could not account for the burst heal otherwise.

No bonuses, damage reduction or leg gems work on the follower besides the emenates sets and legs.
Cain’s and sages, legendary marked items.
Things like auguilds, capt crims resource reduction, enforcer, stone gauntlets, st archews, esoteric or mutation guard don’t work…
You may get the armor, res, life up as much as you can but it’s not gonna survive much higher than 100.
You can do things like frenzy barb build that includes some group buffs to buff the follower but that’s really it unless a ZWiz or whatever but defeats the point of having a tiny pinch of useless damage on the follower when they are to support you

This is not accurate.

There are things that work. You obviously didn’t test. Did you even watch dmkt’s vid. Clearly the Templar is surviving higher than 100…

My own tests in that thread show the Enchantress capable of surviving 120 speeds. With proper gearing.

3 Likes

I essentially have the same stats in Primal(10 pieces) and Ancient gear to a T, but the main stat on my gear is Str. I’m going to keep the Str to my Enchantress more armor and will augment whatever Int she is lacking. As soon Follower changes go live, I will test it.

No I am not trolling… this obviously isn’t real gear, it’s a potential bis.

Ok, fair enough, this is the sort of feedback I wanted, not the rude response initially given. But. I must stress. I have already applied the max regen possible, as well as the max life on hit (unless I’ve missed any) I’ve also applied as much int/vit armor as possible… so actually not sure what you’re getting at? unless I replace iAS for VIT or something? Figured iAS would be more useful for proccing life on hit, but perhaps just focusing on regen & defence would be better.

Augments, gone for VIT, but take the point that perhaps STR/DEX would be better.

I understand. Hence why I’ve tried to focus on that in my planner link. On this note. on this note, does anyone know if this The Burning Axe of Sankis - Game Guide - Diablo III works on followers?

Awesome mate, great feedback. May I counter by suggesting that there is no reason for you to reply to this thread if you feel this way? :kissing_heart: thanks buddy.

I can see your planner has double the toughness of mine, but with less recovery, given mine contains all primal’s and +200 augments, its probably safe to assume yours is superior, at least on paper, but it might be because its inflated via VIT, which increases toughness yes, but not sure how impactful that is without sustain, as we both agree the issue lies in recovery.

On another note, on yours swapping chest shoulders (and maybe even helm) for aughilds should result in even more toughness, I will play around with it some more, thanks for providing this.

For sure saw a vid done by some d3 player, cant remember who, stating mutilation guard and eso works. Not sure about the sets, can anyone confirm?

Awesome! Will be looking forward to seeing the results! Please post back with your findings once patch is live! :star_struck:

Will do. (20 Characters)

Jesus.

What is the point, of making impossible gear on D3planner?

Will this somehow show you that its possible to reach a toughness rating that will make your follower survive?
Will this give others the impression that your d3planner follower is superior? And should be followed?
Did you test this on the PTR?

The tests I performed and likewise dmkt, was done with real gear on the PTR. While his tests show his follower being put through ridiculous amounts of torture, mine was done with a real gameplay in mind. Speeds carried out at a reasonable pace without the cannot die relic.

There is no inflation of stats. What you have shown on your planner is impossible! You cannot have those levels of healing, and toughness. Some of your items are impossible to roll.

Aughild’s does not work! Captain Crimson, does not work! Do you not think you would have seen a streamer/youtuber show you this? Your follower has no resource, so Aquila does not work!

There is no need to guess any of this. It was all tested thoroughly. What you see Youtubers/Streamers show you in their vids is pretty conclusive. The Toughness Number means nothing. You look at the sheet stats themselves and get an idea of the level your Follower is at. Look at Resistances as an idea of how much ele damage they take. Look at Armor as an idea of how much damage they take. Not the Toughness Rating that’s on the Overview.

Esoteric at lvl 100 https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/814479691993841725/815682300024324106/Screenshot_2021-02-28_at_22.29.48.png

Without Mutilation Guard
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/814479691993841725/815682627495264327/Screenshot_2021-02-28_at_22.31.03.png

With Mutilation Guard https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/814479691993841725/815682672991010816/Screenshot_2021-02-28_at_22.31.13.png

My final test on PTR without the Gems. Full XP setup on follower.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/814479691993841725/818570367996002415/Screenshot_2021-03-08_at_21.45.44.png
I died once against the RG and follower didn’t die at all.

I actually new about aquila, hence why I didn’t equip in on planner as it would be a no brainer. Didn’t know about crimson and aughilds, hence why… shocker, I asked for feedback. As you know, some legendaries/sets do work, and others do not.

None the less. I appreciate you informing me. And likely others on this thread who did not know/where unsure.

Alright, taking a step back, may I ask, did any of you guys test rogar’s huge stone? I’d imagine that would be a big boon if it works?