Fine, you can have Personal Loot

Hey, speak for yourself.

Have you heard the saying “negative publicity is better than no publicity”? Many of us would prefer the “negative” aspects of FFA loot over the dryness of playing together with personal-loot. Some people may enjoy the thrill of it, the edge or brings, if you will. Anyway, I don’t think it’s that simple to define a positive interaction…In many games people are competing.

Also, you guys should stop making FFA sound so terrible, because myself and many others don’t remember it that way. D2 is a much beloved game…for all that it was. People make it sound so bad that even I start to become skeptical myself, then I go “Let me think back to MY experience… nope, not as bad as they make it sound”. I can remember my worst experiences in D2. It wasn’t being hostiled or having loot stolen, I don’t even remember having loot stolen… to be honest. It was getting scammed (got scammed bad once, I was young and naïve), being afraid of buying duped gear to have it disappear, being impatient to trade my gear and making bad trades, being POPPED, which happened at least once to me, leaving loot I need to transfer in random games to have them end, etc. Diablo 2 was never fair. Did you ever PVP/PK? No balance. Man, I loved it though. Maybe that is what made it great.

3 Likes

True; however, D2R represents an oppportunity to make optional changes that remedies “negatives” in the original. I want to stress the optional part (you play either FFA only or personal loot only games. If you like FFA, nothing changees for you). Alot of people want to keep D2R FFA loot only. Alot of people want to add a personal loot option. If the reddit poll is representative, at least a 1/3 are in each camp where more want personal loot options. If you like competition and the “negatives” of FFA loot, you still play games with only FFA loot.

D2 was my favorite game at that time. I was not young when it released. I hade 20 years of playing video games at home by that time (Pong, then original atari, and then PC games and then console games). At that time, many of us complained about FFA loot as well as other aspects of the original. Time moves on. It has been 20 years. It is not a bad thing to incorporate optional changes based on modern preferences and technological advances.

I think games are better with balance. If players are at a competitive disadvantage in relation to each other, it does remove some of the joy to me.

2 Likes

But isnt the DH in your example faster than the wizard? Or do you think that the dh being quicker at groups and the wiz being quicker at bosses (or vice versa) evens out in the end?

Yes, it is hard. I found my own counterexamples now.
Service Player game with sorx participant. Sorx deals 75% dmg to boss, service player deals 25%. Sorx gets 75% dmg. Is it justified, because she saved the service player time or not?

Another counter example: Lower resist necro with sorx.
Without the necro, the sorx deals ~100 dmg and 0 dmg to immunes. With the necro she deals ~200 dmg and 100 dmg to immunes. The necro plays curse only. So should the sorx get 100% of the loot or the necro get 50% or some other ratio?

Same with auras from paladin, shouts from barb, spirits from druid, etc.

So yes, you are right, it is alot harder to measure participation than just using the damage dealt.

But that would leave us with plain 1/8 split (including activity check). Which might also have its disadvantages.

There have been drops where i have not even seen an item on the screen:
diablo loses last hp, lag, floor is cleaned spotless, some player drops an el rune
So you are saying this never happened to you? Lucky you.:slight_smile:

Close this topic please, I’m getting sick of all these same threads all over again.

2 Likes

Faster, yes, but not necessarily capable of dealing more damage, which was the criterion you wanted to go by. It’s just that under certain circumstances the Wizard might not be able to deal the damage.

I’d take that, though.

Nobody is forcing you to read any thread. Stop clicking on the ones you don’t want to read.

4 Likes

This is a forum, you will find every kind of stuff below. It’s not easy to not read what people make as a thread. Even if you do not click on a thread, you still see what is written.

#close topic

If merely seeing a thread title on the front page bothers you then you’re screwed, dude. You’ve got 2 choices: Get over it or stop visiting forums.

1 Like

bound to account items are the worst thing to ever happen to a video game. all it does is make the game not let u trade anything. then items have no value and the game has no end game currency based of items or runes. if the game doesnt have PUBLIC loot it will change the game to much. and it will also ruin it. one of the only reasons the game has lasted 20 years is the games end game item currency system. if blizzard wants to control all 3rd party items being sold. then maybe blizzard should DO THAT??? makes sense IMO. in diablo 3 they tried so hard to understand this and made the RMAH the worst thing ever. this time just control all items if u wanna have a perfect BOTD rune word then pay blizzard 20$ for it
problem solved. just learn from diablo 2 LoD 20 years STRONG. and still going. make diablo 4 the world of diablo we want and deserve. thank you blizzard.

Since personal loot does not mean account bound, I do not know why you bring this up.

As an example, D3 has been instanced/personal loot throughout its history. In D3 early days, items were tradeable and there was even an auction house. Later and currently, trading was restricted to players in your party when the item dropped.

Since we are asking for optional personal loot at either game or character creation, if you want FFA loot nothing will change for you as you will only play multiplayer games with FFA loot.

Personal loot =/= account bound. We are not asking to remove trading from the game.

You can have trading wiithout a auction house. We are not asking for an auction house.

Part of the reasons that the same things get said repeatedly is to clarify that personal loot does not mean account bound or 8x total drops. To date, I bet the over/under for these two misperceptions are in the hundreds. Once this is remedied, many are far more favorable to optional personal loot. Also, some incorrectly claim that we want personal loot to replace FFA loot which again is inaccurate as we want both as options. Some claim that no one wants personal loot options, and then we show them the data from the reddit survey that demonstrates otherwise. Once the facts are recognized and accepted then it is much easier to discuss merits and pros/cons.

4 Likes

Exactly.
It’s not as if we were not trying to come up with our own Cons. Actually, i am a bit distraught after coming up with several cons on my own suggestion myself. :confused:
But that’s what a nice debate should have. A back and fourth and a constructive direction.

Literally everytime somebody opens the door of this thread, he says the exact words that microRNA has just listed. They are Cons that maybe count as opinions but not as a counter argument on a conceptual level. It would be nice to have some more of those.

Imagine you were the meanest cheater in the world. How would you abuse the pLoot? Let’s see if you can destroy our suggestion.

(just keep these points in mind:

• same number of items (loot does not change)
  • items are not player bound
  • players can opt-in/opt-out on char/game creation
    )

I would have loved to keep the activity check on that list, but after the recent brianstorm, i dont know what a fair way to detect activity would be.

2 Likes

People should just click faster if they want loot. SMH.

D2R will have global servers (and have gotten rid of regions).

Hypothetically speaking:
My game latency is 50 msec, since I live close to the host server. Your latency is 200 msec. You click faster than me by 50 msec. With everything else being equal who gets the loot?

1 Like

Well, if this is anything like WoW where I get sub-40 MS thanks to fiber internet and being close to the server… good luck on you clicking fast enough to beat me.

Good thing nobody is asking for BoA items, then, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Of course that is not true.
With this kind of thinking, I could say that with this generation of old grumpy and frustrated guys we would still be playing Diablo 1. Or maybe having no industry and candles instead of light bulbs^^

FYI, I’m probably the same generation as you, maybe older…started to play in 2001.

It’s like when I read “My click My item”. Well, it’s a whole team, that mindset is very selfish. What about the Necromancer curses that lower the resistances or the one that amplifies YOUR damage? What about the Paladin auras that help you??? The Barbarian’s warcries?
It’s not a one man job.

1 Like