Failed to Initialize d3d crash and solution

So there is a very common crash in Diablo 3 in which the screen displays the D3 logo, becomes grey and then the game crashes. There are many many reasons to it but my problem was not covered in any of the basic google searches. As it happens, Diablo 3 is incompatable with a certain version of Razer Chroma. That’s not too uncommon but the thing is, Blizzard does not offer a way to quickly self-identify the problem in their guides.

I would suggest to add a simple guide on how to use the Windows Event Viewer, it’s an application which shows you the events that happened on your PC, and if an app crashed, it shows you why, super helpful. As I said in my case, D3 crashed because of a ChromaSDK.dll file.

I’m not sure if a general Razer Incompatabillty issue should be added to the known problematic programs as I know many Blizz games have no problem with Razer, that’s for them to decide. I can say this is not the first time a Razer program crashed my Blizz games (SCII), but I am sure a guide on self-identifcation could help the work load of Blizzard support.

TL;DR: Game crashed on launch because of Razer Chroma, it happens quite a lot but it’s not listed as a common issue. Blizzard should consider making a small guide in their help sections on how to use Windows Event Viewer.

Crashes and hardware issues are technical issues, not game bugs. This should be posted in the Technical Support Forum.

Good suggestion. But, suggestions are considered feedback and that is frowned on in the Bug Report Forum.

How to Write a Good Bug Report

Good to know. You should move this thread to the Technical Support Forum.

Moving Threads

1. Click the pencil icon next to the title of your thread. (See image below).

1. Click the "Category" field to bring up a list of D3 Forums. (See image below).

1. Find the proper Forum and select it.
  2. Save your edit.
This will move your thread to the selected Forum, including all replies.

Thank you, moved the thread.

1 Like