Example of a loot filter, and why they should be added

( i would link the images directly but i cant… somehow this bypasses my inability to have links, idk why but for w/e reason you need to actually go in and click the links in the thread to view the images with filter on, off and the example of items i i turned the viability up on.)

these filters are coded and edited by hand, i made this one from a base filter of another person and modified to to suit my own style. (I’m going to say “made” because its easier, its heavily modified to fit my own style)

as you can see
the first picture is what we see with no item filter on

the 2nd pic is what we still with the filter i made/ on

the 3rd pic is an example of what an item i might want to pick up and i turned the visibility up on to make it more visible.

as you can see… all loot filters do is make stuff appear cleaner,
you can hide unwanted items such as a 2 socket elite polearm
you can change the name of an item how it appears, you can change the color and the name to make the items u want to find more visible.

you are in full control of what you see.

14 Likes

I’d love to have even a limited filter for the ability to hide some potions and trash items. Although rare, I’ve sifted through a huge pile of potions and garbage and found a nice item or rune that was otherwise hidden.

3 Likes

That would put people who don’t use it at a huge disadvantage in pubs, while at least the “enhanced visibility” for the good drops is an eye sore.

Maybe start slow and give a toggle to not show gold, potions and ammunition so you don’t miss out on items that are literally not shown because the entire screen is filled with stuff.

i mean yeah, but thats why its posted publicly so anyone who wants it can use it?

its not like they would be “selling” higher item visibility, you can make you own filter use someone else or not use one at all, that’s your choice, you can even downloaded someone else and then use it as a base to create your own so everything shows how YOU want it to. ( thats what i did).

this filter is literally just a text file. completely open source.

2 Likes

I am not sure if I would use loot filters or not.

However…

It literally has no negative impact to me if I don’t want to use it, and some people really want this. I think it’s one of those changes that they should consider. Of course I also want loot toggle to prevent repetitive stress injury.

4 Likes

When I botted the heck out of D2 in 1.13, I learned to do lots of loot filtering to ensure my bot picked up valuable items so it wouldn’t fill up so quickly.

While I don’t expect or want that level of filtering, some filtering would be great to clean up screens. I’ve always been in favor of putting power/customization in the players hands. Options are always better than nothing.

Wouldn’t it be so much better to have the OPTION to hide arrows/bolts when you’re doing chaos and Baal runs?

To the #nochnages group, did you know you can play D2 unchanged just like you remember right now for $10?

yeah IMO loot filter is a much smaller change than “auto gold pickup”

4 Likes

To add to this, loot filtering has an in-game solution already! Just don’t look at the loot! So it’s a perfect candidate to be implemented in a toggle feature.

I’ve mentally filtered out arrows and bolts in D2 for years, makes sense to add the feature more formally.

Not needed and as stated, it’s an advantage over people filtering less (if anything) loot than you. Keep it like the original game.

1 Like

how is it an advantage, it donest give me “access to something they dont” they can use the exact same filter i do. they can make thier own.

yeah it would be an advantage in term of item visibility to those NOT using a filter but that’s THEIR choice… they can use the filter, they can choose not to… if they choose not to use it how can they complain??

besides it doesn’t “pick up the item”, it doesn’t change what dropped, all it does is make the screen clearer, less cluttered, and easier to read.

how is that any different from when blizzard themselves changed the color of runes from white to orange? it just makes the game clearer.

its not “needed” but it would certainly be NICE to not have the screen so cluttered

2 Likes

I’d use loot filters if they let us in D2R. Less screen clutter would be nice. Wouldn’t hurt anyone.

I think it’s a stretch to suggest it offers a significant “advantage.” You can click an item just as fast with or without a filter. The contrast of the color against all the white surrounding it might even make it pop more on your screen.

Back when I played it was more just whose auto-pickup hack worked faster since half the people in every public game probably had one on. Perhaps in D2R more people will actually have a shot at looting in a public game? lol

Meh, honestly you can use that argument for PoE. But notice that no one does. Because loot filters are essential and I’ve personally have thoroughly enjoyed having them available in PD2.

Advantage or not, I think loot filters are good for the game.

No. If they do this, it messes with the core game. If you can loot filter, then (random item) is no longer rare. Using it would be an auto if you were farming for one item. It wouldn’t be avoidable as it gives a clear advantage to those that use it.

Stop trying to turn this game into Diablo 3. Go play Diablo 3. Remember? That’s what everyone says on the d3 forum when it’s compared.

So go do that. Go play Diablo 3 with their filtered loot, and leave this remastered alone.

1 Like

Personally I don’t like the idea of an item filter. I am in favor of shared loot and no filter because I like the old school challenging way to play that the original game had. I think it is a lot more fun to find items and split between your team and help each other out. And I also think sorting through all the various items is just part of what makes Diablo 2 what it is.

I cannot say enough how important it is to Diablo 2 fans that the game remains close to the original. I do not think item filters are a good idea. We don’t need D3 fans and bot players from D2 to ruin this remaster for everyone who wants to legitimately play it the same way it was back in the day with small adjustments that are perfectly reasonable like a bigger stash.

Who cares if there’s a ton of items on screen? You may not realize it but it will mean a lot more to get those special items if you get a bunch of garbage items with it. That’s just how Diablo 2 is. This isn’t diablo 3 where you beat a rift and you are looking for a specific set or legendary item out of the 10 that dropped. If it’s not such a big deal (like people are saying) then just let the original fans have the remaster they want

wtf… do u have ANY idea what a loot filter is?

it doesn’t change what drops… it changes how you SEE the items that DO drop,
did u even LOOK at the pictures?
facepaw

diablo 3 doesn’t HAVE a loot filter

i literally showed u an example.

it doesn’t magically make “better items” drop, you don’t “pick an item” and game the game search for that one…

it make it so your screen isn’t cluttered by item with really long names. and it makes the screen more visibly appealing.

2 Likes

Loot filters are fine for single player. However, in multiplayer, it has huge implications on the current system of loot. If your screen is less cluttered than other players, that gives you the advantage to see a piece of loot and react faster to grabbing it. To make loot filters work in multiplayer, you either need to change to instanced loot, or make the UI change to how loot is displayed universal to all players.

except you are giving it to EVERY player.

each player can pick what filter they like, they can modify one they like to fit their own style better or they can make one from scratch.

if dont want to see “arrows” u choose to “hide” arrows

if want a specific item to look purple when it drops, you can make it look purple

its entriely based on what YOU want.

by making everyone “see” the same that would be even MORE of a disadvanatge

suddenly i join the game of someone who uses a different filter than me that is hiding an item i want to see? and im forced to use his?

or to just have blizzard make one? where i cant edit it? what if blizzards filters hides something i WANT to see?

everyone can downloads the filter they like best. and see what THEY want to see.

MY filter was just ONE example.
u can see the changes i made to the previous original version in my gamelog.

i tried a bunch of filters and i took components from all the ones i liked and made by own. useing the one that would need the “least” amount of changes as my base.

and yeah not everyone can do that so i made it public

If upon game creation, you chose a filter and that filter was applied to the game and everyone joining, then it would be fine. However, for example: If player A pops open a gold chest, and 20 items pop out (stacks of gold, potions, arrows, white weapons, a unique and a rune), you filter out arrows which are hiding the display for the unique or the rune (lets say it was a HR), then you will see that HR first before another player without the filter can either grab enough of the useless junk for the screen to display the HR, or adjust position for it to display. Obvious advantage to the filter player.

no it wouldn’t be… because that would FORCE other players to you YOUR filter,
i dont want to be forced to use a filter of some random person who may be a lvl 95 hiding items i want to pick up, i dont want to be FORCED to use a filter of some guy who coded wrong and has the screen filled with complete gibberish. or some guy who made a filter to change every item to the same name to troll people.

THAT would be MUCH worse than having NO filter at all