Ethereal First Impressions

Based on this:

Ethereal Weapon Details

Season 24 introduces Ethereals , a new weapon-type that players will be able to acquire and hunt for in their upcoming seasonal journey. Ethereals will roll a powerful set of affixes, a random Class Weapon Legendary Power and a random Class Passive Power .

Post Last Updated on 6/21/2021 with Link to PTR Feedback Post

It turns out those Ethereal item affixes were strong, however, they buffed the Damage of All Skills making the strongest builds even stronger.

See my most recent opinion(s) here:

7 Likes

Not to mention, if you want to keep its transmogs, you actually have to play all 7 classes in this Season, earn the loot (which the drop rate is anywhere between an Ancient and a Primal), otherwise poof, nothing.

Making us work so hard just for a bunch of transmogs would just make people complete the Seasonal Journey, push however far they want and quit the game like Season 23 has shown.

16 Likes
  • Ethereals only drop in Seasonal play, and will not transfer to your non-seasonal character when the season ends.

This is not good.

No 300th or Skulars buff.:roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I think the Ethereal idea is great in theory, but could maybe use a bit of work. A few points…

• This is going to be RNG on top of RNG trying to find a good one. Not fun.
  • As mentioned, class power is up in the air at the moment and some classes will make better use of these than others. Barb could shine due to strong passives.
  • Seasonal only. Bit of a letdown, although understandable.
  • You unlock transmogs only if you find them all. Honestly, this is a bit of a slog. You also need to delete a character if you’re at the max since you can only rebirth 3 times. This really sucks for those of us who don’t want to delete any of our characters.

So yeah I dunno. It’s nice, but you need to read the fine print.

3 Likes

I sure do hope they make an exception that these ethereals drop for every class (foregoing smart loot) and rolls the stats as it should for its intended class instead, otherwise this idea as what Tandem has said is good in theory, but completely terrible in implementation.

Are the devs even playing this game? Do they understand what it is about at all?

13 Likes
  • Ethereals only drop in Seasonal play, and will not transfer to your non-seasonal character when the season ends.

No thanks.

8 Likes

This theme just further illustrates how totally out of touch the current Diablo/Blizzard team is with it’s previous games and brand.

18 Likes

Edit:
Misread your post about the smart loot part.

What … are you even saying?

Smart loot gives you about 80% rate of legendaries and sets that drop for your class while 20% is general or of other classes.

It’s 85%. I read your post wrong as you want class stats in those nin smart drops

I love super powerful over-the-top random magic items that could either be the most amazing thing ever, or hilariously broken. Can’t wait to read all the QQing about bad finds in chat.

3 Likes

Personally, I just want to play some competitive builds that I previously couldn’t before. I want to push new builds, I’m not interested in playing a safer version of Bombardment that can clear 1 or 2 GRs higher.

That is the big miss IMHO. I wanted to play Shield Bash, Phalanx, Smite, Chakram, Elemental Arrow – these Ethereal items won’t enable those skills. They won’t shake up the C-tier and D-tier stuff either.

20 Likes

Their wide range of rng can be good (hope so). Also i like that they can be dropped only and their low drop rate.

• Ethereals ignore item durability loss.

It looks like the trend of “do whatever thing you want and apply a random D2 name to it” keeps its way. How can this be a tribute to D2 if it’s THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what D2 ethereals were?

D4 runewords have nothing to do with D2 runewords, but at least they’re not antonyms like in this case.

This is not a tribute, it’s a spit in the face.

9 Likes

True.

They are still runewords, but less powerful.

If they have achieved this with Ethereals together with making these break on 0% durability that would have been a top Theme.

The community has been vocal about the changes that bring life to this game, but they give us what’s temporary and wasn’t asked for. These Ethereal items could have easily been designed as Rune buffs for lack luster dead skills. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

you are certainly an unpleasant individual. Please put me on your block list now so I never run into.

True.

Well, it fits the rest of D3 vs D2 then.
Maybe the theme is meant to make you want D2R even more.

1 Like

Or maybe it’s the last ever D3 Theme and that’s why Ethereal? That would be a true D2 reference.

1 Like