Ethereal First Impressions

Well He aint wrong. Say You want to play an Amazon with a Windforce with a Nef Rune. Good luck getting both of those in the 1st year of playing.

They showed us a concept, the power is determined by tweaking numbers, so I don’t think that’s relevant to talk about balance at this point (no matter I also suspect that they’ll be less powerful).

My gripe is that the only similarity is that “they’re socketables” but for the rest, the system is completely different. For example, in D3 they wanted to reintroduce the D2 cube, they iterated it, and it’s fine, it’s an evoultion of the previous, no matter whether you prefer the old or the new one (that’s up of everyone’s taste). They also figured a completely new system for socketables, they named it “legendary gems”, and it’s also completely fine. But I still don’t get why they’ve taken a completely different system and skinned it as runewords. It’s not a new iteration of the previous one but something that has no relation with it.

So, back on track, D2 ethereals were a very attractive concept which had a lot of flaws, they had a lot of room for improvement, so that was what they could do. For example, ethereal belts or boots were a nonsense, as they couldn’t neither be given to mercs (items on mercs didn’t lose durability), nor socket a Zod rune, as they weren’t able to get sockets (a Zod rune turned an item into indestructible). Horrible merc balance also helped with that, as whatever ethereal item that could be useful for A1, A3 or A5 mercs was irrelevant as the only viable merc was the A2 one. They had a chance to iterate and make a similar system without all those flaws. Example: ethereals can’t be repaired, but when the item loses all durability, it turns into a non-eth one, losing the extra power from being eth forever, but being able to be repaired as a regular legendary… Or whatever, this is the first dumb idea that crossed my mind, but I believe that it should be something that really makes that to look like a sucessor of the previous system. If It doesn’t resemble it, no sense to randomly drop that name.

While I like the ode to D2. IMO this is not what ethereals are or should be. What made these God teir Runewords so valuable is the trading. I don’t really want to fish and maybe get lucky or maybe not.

To those who say this doesn’t shake up build viability. Maybe wait for PTR and see. We don’t even know what the legendary/passive combos are or the base stats - if it’s true to D2 150% base damage on ethereals. That alone can change builds… let’s not jump to conclusions on whether or not they are playable.

The big issue here is the implementation atm. No one wants to fish for something they can’t keep, this is like Dungeon Mastery 2.0. The devs should’ve known it wasn’t going to be well received…

Agree.

Idea: 10/10.
Execution: 0/10

2 Likes

I’m a fan of it, I’ll likely be playing S24 just to collect them.

1 Like

Just to lose all of them at the end of the season, that will be fun.

3 Likes

I play Strength in NA, Intelligence in EU and Dexterity in Asia, so the collect them all from 7 classes to keep transmorg is not working for me.

1 Like

Well it is honouring D2, that’s pretty much what happens.

I dunno maybe I can collect enough to get the transmogs, then they get to live in my heart.

For me, anything that goes to standard is sort of lost anyway as I only really pop in for seasonal play.

They already did that it’s called D2R.

1 Like

They can do this too, some people might not be interested in D2R but might want that seasonal chase feeling that’s not really in D3.

It’s not going to be for everyone but I think the legacy team is pretty small so they can only do a little on D3 these days.

1 Like

Sure. I have not played a non seasonal character since seasons started pretty much.

I figured the ethereal items were there to make that pair of shoulders useful or something, at least with emenate. Unfortunately, if they dont make them either normal dura, indestructible or have their own type of repairing, it would effectively make them useless. I think they should have made it to where you needed a cube recipe to repair them. At least that way it works KINDA the same. Perhaps a singular enchantment you can add where it restores 1 durability every 33 seconds or whatever that D2 did.

My first impressions are, that the devs just went full tropic thunder.

And so did you…

Like I said… full tropic thunder…

3 Likes

Since the items disappear at the end of the season, that’s the “Ethereal” part.

3 Likes

Let me guess, the first time you watched that movie was yesterday?

4 Likes

What a joke . So UE Demon Hunter as an example requires Dawn in Cube and the UE bow to work. So if I was to magically change this to an Ethereal Weopon I risk loosing an affix for a ethereal one which could just ruin my build.
I honestly don’t think the Devs thought about the impact of this at all. Another Joke Seasonal of get Guardian and leave

no … i assure you, they have no idea what even diablo3 is.

1 Like

hahahahahahahahahaha sorry !!! but that is so realistic.

Seem like it be a weapon affix so it can roll dawn affix. In other words u can most likely drop it.

“Each Ethereal has fixed affixes and rolls one random Legendary Weapon power and one random Class Passive Skill.”

If its a amu for DH u can just drop squirt and have free weapon slot in cube. Or if its something else u can use RoRG and drop whatever it is. Also LoD rapid fire.

I know it says weapon-type. But doubt they mean only weapons. We will see though

“Powerful affixes”

This leads me to think they will be primal stats on steroids, they already know they need to be useful.

Bottom line, the fact that these items can roll so random, and yet be so powerful is really enticing to me.

Out of all season themes, this is the one that they need to perfect and bring into the game. ARPG’s are about loot hunts, hunting for various combinations of items and passives would add a lot of excitement back into the game, I know for certain it would have me wanting to play every class again and put in hundreds of hours getting the right variants for all the builds I want to play.

I am legit excited about this, and I really hope they listen to our feedback, having an additional loot hunt is AMAZING!!!

2 Likes