Economics tell us "Why personal loot is better"

good internet to nerves is not the reason people get the drops. The real players that get the loot is the melee characters and the ones with Telly. As a ‘back line’ player, necy, trapazin, bowazon etc the loot is gone before you can get close. The Hammerdin, Zealot or barb got the drops because the drops happen where the monster was killed, or the sorc telly’d in real quick to loot. FE Hell monsters were the only equalizers on this as everyone ran like hell and let the ranged player finish it off.

That said, personal loot would throw the whole game drop/play system to hell. As is maybe 6 items drop for a full run and this gets divided between the 8 players. Or Generally the Barb got it all. For personal loot you can’t keep the same number of items dropping for each player or you would flood the market with too many good items/good drops would be non-existent as most of those 6 items would be blue. You would end up with maybe 1-2 item drops per kill which then nerfs the hell out of solo farming

The other side of it is you would lose the incentive to farm in more ‘full’ games. Many times I would drop into a ‘Act 1 gogo’ game and run through act 4-5 area’s solo for drops and exp. If they needs help with a boss I jumped down to help out. Yes this pisses off some players but many of the others like the extra exp and drops of an extra player in the game. If they nerf the drops for solo farming, it will also kill much of the farming play. I actually prefer games that have solo drops as I usually played a necy etc, but I don’t see it working here.

TLDR: The loot system of D2 is designed around communal drops. To re-design this to individual drops is a job bigger than what they are doing ‘re-mastering’ everything.

2 Likes

does that matter? is a d3 player a lesser diablo fan?
my first diablo game was D1, then D2 and have also played alot d3, cant wait for this, also diablo 4 and immortal.

but i got most hours on D2, and thats not even close to the other 2. so whats the deal?

you are not more of a diablo fan or have anymore to say about this remaster than anyone else no matter what game they have played, when they started, or how many hours they have played.

what kind of diablo fan are you? i would not say a great one.

also kinda fun thats all you had to say, ran straight out of arguments to come with.

2 Likes

If you aren’t comfortable with a stranger out-looting you in a game. Do not play with them. No one is making you play with anyone you do not trust. Play with your friends in a locked game if you do not want to have to worry someone will steal something you want. Or play singleplayer and not worry about it at all. This is a non-issue with the tools that already existed in D2 more than 20 years ago.

2 Likes

Blizzard is not making D2. Blizzard is making D2R. D2 =/= D2R. Even if an optional change in D2R made it D2.1, you can still opt not to select that option and stay with D2.0 in D2R.

1 Like

To me you sound like a person who wants to change everything in Diablo 2.
You sound more like a Diablo 3 fan who wants to remove what was original in Diablo 2 and change it with something that already exists in Diablo 3.

I have played Diablo 2 since I was 11 years old. In middle school, I started playing Diablo 2 every day for several hours. I do not have the count of how many hours, but if I am to compare all my games I have, I have the most hours in Diablo 2.

If I were not a true fan then I would change the game the way I want it. ’

This is something you want. Not me, so discussing who is more of a Diablo 2 fan would be silly.

What kind a person? A person who loves Diablo 2 and does not want any drastically changes.

Unlike you who want to change a masterpiece game, which made the game good at first.

then i suppose this remaster is nothing for you, becasuse it will change the game. like it or not , but maybe stick to the og d2?

everyone knows deeps inside that d2´s loot system is bad, and it would not hurt to have an option next to the original design. other then some people would be so butthurt that d2 changes a little, but it already is changing so much in this remaster. someone is always going to cry that its changing to much, if its the gold pickup, the graphics, if they balance some skills etc. every one will not end up happy with this.

and i dont really care when you started or how much you played d2, makes you no more of a fan than anyone else who likes the series as a fan. no more voting power for you mate.

1 Like

I was one of them who was hoping for a Remaster, a game with improved graphics. Not a Remake, A remake change everything. But D2:R is a Remaster, why did Vicarious Visions say Remaster. They never said anything about a Remake.

You asked what kind a Diablo fan I was, so I answered. Your fault, not mine :man_facepalming:

its a remaster, with changes. they are changing things not just graphics, thats why i have my hopes for great stuff in the future even after it launches.

they have said themself that based on feedback they will look for changes later on. either way how it turns out im glad we are having it.

5 Likes

Remakes may change many things but not everything. VV said D2R is a remaster with changes. Many of those changes can be selected on or off. Shared stash is always on. Auto-pickup of gold on/off. 3D graphics on/off. Many more game changes can be made on/off. If you want the most “pure” experience in D2R, turn off all modern updates. If you want the original, play D2.

1 Like

Even if they dry run the first season with almost not change I bet they do change stuff further down the line maybe a season or two in. fingers crossed I suppose.

3 Likes

Ofc the guy who stop damaging the boss few seconds before he dies and click the items on the ground instead gets the loot in D2.

I guess with some macros it will become even easier for those players. :wink:

2 Likes

I will admit that I have done that as a ranged character. The funny thing is that then the boss does not die until I start DPSing again. For giggles, sometimes I would just stop attacking and then see that the entire party could not even kill a trash monster. Ultimately, I was carrying a group of leechers the whole time.

1 Like

Friendly reminder that this question I’m self-quoting (and was also already asked by several people already) is still left unanswered by personal loot beggars for quite some topics.

1 Like

You can still do magic find runs with your friends irrespective of the loot drop method. I assume people are not answering your question because its premise is fundamentally flawed.

If it’s flawed, then it means you enjoy doing sub-optimal runs with randoms in public games. That’s it, I have my answer, thank you. Unfortunately it’s even worse than I thought.

There are times when you want to play multiplayer and your friends have other commitments. My friends do not schedule their lives around my available D2 playtimes. :man_facepalming:

If you only play with friends in optimal groups, why do you care about the loot system? My friends would share their loot whether it was FFA or personal loot if I needed something.

3 Likes

They implemented a shared stash because people were already using friends as a work around. Maybe they will implement fair loot because people were using friends as a work around for the multiplayer loot experience.

2 Likes

I think simply shuffling between the players the current random drop rate could work, coding it so each player sees their own loot may be tricky with the old code running underneath but I am sure they could figure it out. Make it an option for game type. I think it would be an amazing option to have, and would encourage amazing groups killing stuff together instead of feeling like being robbed simply for being further away from the frontlines.

You are still avoiding the question. Why are you doing sub-optimal runs for loot when, even if your friends aren’t available, you could do them solo ? I understand and support joining public games for exp and showing off your character if you want but it is your responsability and thus fault when you earn less loot.

It is unnecessary work for the developers,and it has already been explained (so please read other topics instead of wasting our time) that nobody smart enough will ever join “personal loot” rooms : if they’re high level, they won’t make such room because leechers would just get loot by going mostly afk, and thus high level players will only create public games with shared loot.

Also, with personal loot, it raises the question (and I don’t want you to answer, I do not care because there is already no point in discussing personal loot since it won’t happen) to the developers on how to handle MF. If MF is still applied as it is already, it is even more a penalty for high level players with high MF as leechers are now sure to get items based on an hard-earned MF they do not deserve.

The conclusion is that people who are still asking for personal loot are obviously leechers who never cleared normal+nightmare+hell in full solo, and got rushed until end-game. That’s the only explanation possible, you can’t defend yourself on that and you should feel ashamed.

2 Likes

Oh man, brilliant post! This is an extremely important element of Diablo II’s vitality and success. Thanks!

2 Likes