Echoing Nightmare in HC

This isn’t my video but I couldn’t see it posted here. The game mode needs to be made HC friendly.

17 Likes

Lol, that’s a fail.
It needs not only the effects to be working on HC, it also needs some chance for the hero to survive as the monsters go higher and higher and you CAN NOT stop it by yourself. There must be kinda exit on the level or death here must not count.

14 Likes

I’m thinking that death must not count for this mode. Thematically, it’s about fighting till you die. If that’s the aim of the mode, then HC players shouldn’t be punished with perma death

8 Likes

Maybe it’s just a way to kill ourselves for kicks :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

You can also wait to be overwhelmed, but it’s risky. So i’ll say death should not count in this activity for HC also.

2 Likes

Death should count. You can easily gear to survive tier 150. once the red bar fills up, all monsters die. Using shield pylons accordingly is necessary.

Or offer a powerlevel to our illustrious clan leader only to see them RIP :rofl:

3 Likes

While I don’t play HC, I must agree that this needs to survivable in HC. Before HC fanatics start to moan about permadeath being core part of HC, there’s a major difference between Echoing Nightmare and other gameplay.

Everywhere else, including GRs, the player is in 100% control over the challenge and survivability. One can choose the GR tier and in case of near death to flee. In EN one can’t directly choose the challenge level and fleeing in case of near death is almost impossible. Even in HC there has to be the possibility to avoid death which EN really doesn’t provide.

Even the set dungeons don’t kill players in HC after taking fatal damage, why should EN be any different?

9 Likes

The problem here is not necessarily about having to survive until the bar gets filled up. Rather, that you can rank up way too fast.

I did some testing with a basic GoD build with all level 25 gems. 500k dps. I managed to hit rank 125. In Season 24 though, I barely cleared a GR125, and that was with vastly more dps along with ethereals.

So, I ran another test, and leveled up to rank 70, then tried running away. It took roughly 4 minutes of not engaging before I finally got overwhelmed. That 1 minute got extended tremendously, probably because of thorns and monsters I had weakened before I stopped fighting.

Normally, it takes that character about 1 minute to hit rank 100, at which point everything is one shotting me. And the higher the rank, the more monsters are on the screen.

Meanwhile i just did 142 tier, and simply just got overwhelmed. If you go into this with a DPS build, you should expect to die.

I’m sticking to my original opinion based on my own experience.

3 Likes

They really need to make Echoing Nightmare like challenge rifts or set dungeons (where HC characters death is not permanent), or almost nobody will play HC in season 26…

Yeah, what the hell? Why can’t they make it like Set Dungeons? You do not lose a HC character in a Set Dungeon if you fail it.

I play both SC and HC every season, and no way in hell will I play HC this season, with a theme that is designed around pushing until you die. Unless, death does not count in Echoing Nightmares.

And contrary to Slothics belief that we should all have to play a certain build, and run around trying to dodge attacks until were overwhelmed, I feel that any build should be able to participate in the Nightmares, and not be punished outright.

There shouldn’t be any gatekeeping on the season gimmick.

10 Likes

I 100% agree…maybe not ALL builds in the game should be viable, but the Echoing Nightmare should definitely serve a wide audience and plenty of builds.

4 Likes

Normally i am opposed to poofing around with hardcore rules but a prerequisite for a season theme is open assessability.

3 Likes

LOL just run away untill u get overwhelmend

2 Likes

It’s not as easy as just running away. As I mentioned earlier, I tried getting to 70, and just running, and it took roughly 4 minutes for me before I finally got overwhelmed. The shield pylon lasts for 1 minute.

I was using a GoD build. It doesn’t have a movement skill that avoids combat. So, if I use strafe to escape, I end up lowering the bar, which only extends the time limit.

Plus, as you end up going in tiers, the monsters get faster.

And I was not using a DPS build. I was using my typical HC build, which was designed for survivability. But I quickly rank way past my tier that I could survive in HC, meaning more monsters and faster monsters. (They move far faster than what you’d see in a greater rift).

Blizzard stated, to test what you’d normally focus on. And that’s a problem with many streamers, and just the PTR in general. You get gear way beyond what you’d normally get in a season at that point in the season. With many streamers, that’s where you see “I did such and such with no paragon”, yet they’re running fully augmented ancient gear, giving sometimes 2-3x as much dps & defense as you’d have at that point in the season. I try to do my attempts with as realistic stats as I’d have in the season.

So no, I’m not going to have a build at that point in time which can survive multiple GR150 hits. And within a minute, I escalated to the point where they could one shot proc me. So, in order to survive, I need to use strafe, which then escalates the rift roughly 20 levels higher than I could possibly clear in a Greater Rift. So being one shot is still being one shot. So now, I have 3 minutes of being in one shot territory, to make sure I can survive long enough to pop on a shield pylon to let me survive the last minute.

As I mentioned previously, it’s not the fact that I don’t want to run away. It’s that the Echoing Nightmare scales up far too quickly, way beyond what I’d be capable of playing with my build.

EDIT

One last thing. Greater Rifts also scale health far faster than they scale enemy damage. This could also explain how people are able to get overpowered at higher greater rift levels. That is, if you can make it to 140+, you should be fine and hit the overpowered state. But if you’re at a point where you can only make it to 110, such as what I was at, you’re at far more risk at dying.

5 Likes

If you get overwhelmed you die in HC

so dont die, it’s that easy…

1 Like

I decided to try this out myself. Here are the results.

Leveling from 1 to 60 in Hardcore using Echoing Nightmare

As you can see it is working as intended. You can run Echoing nightmare without dying. The video shows me leveling from 1 to 60 in normal gear and no paragons. Nothing in the cube either. I have ran several 150is tiers in softcore without dying either. Just need to know how to kite mobs and hit the right pylons at the right time. Not just stand there and let them kill you.

3 Likes