Doubt about deathwish

i’ve never played wizzard untill this season, and i got i primal ancient deathwish, its legendary power says “While channeling Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, or Ray of Frost for at least 1 second, all damage is increased by 325”, okay i got that you have to channel for at least 1 second, but, How long does the damage increment last? or it is lost in the same second you stop channeling?? (if so, it’s a shame)

Pretty much this. Once you stop channeling the damage boost ends.

Ahh what I was afraid of, that sucks, the damage increase should also last a second or something like that :expressionless:

Sadly having the duration last could bring out some problematic interactions like bazooka.

ah i see, but bazzoka build is not outmatched by a wide margin by twister and hydras? those builds have more dmg multipliers than meteor?

That’s how it should work, but it turns out that’s actually not true. You retain the damage bonus for a short window starting 1 second after you initiate channeling. I’m not exactly sure how long the window is (I hate gimmicky builds like this, so I haven’t really bothered to test or play it). And interestingly, you don’t even have to channel for a full second. Just quickly tapping it is sufficient to activate the buff 1 second later. You see this with some Frozen Orb builds in season 22, the idea is you stutter channeling between tossing Frozen Orbs.

Lexyu covers it briefly in this video:

2 Likes

ohh thats interesting, yeah the mechanics of how the deathwish increase damage works is a total mystery to me. i didnt understand if i had to fully channel for 1 second and keep channeling, or if i lose the damage the milisecond i stop the channeling, or if if works if i tap quick the channeled skill… i hope understand more with that video, thx

Ah, My apologies Schyzo for the misinformation, and thank you TinneOnnMuin for the correction.

yeah no problems we learn things every day

That sword truly is one of the most toxic items for wizards, it easily outmatches that damn eyesore Aetherwalker in that regard. I really love channeling, but seriously, they should just retroactively delete Deathwish (or rather the legendary power) and literally buff everything that could legitimately benefit from it by up to 300%. Afterwards we can focus on making wizards enjoyable.

How much longer it will it take them to realize this.

5 Likes

Easily and signed. It holds back a lot of power from us. Hydras get screwed because of it, Meteors, Arcane Orb …basically anything that’s not Vyr/Archon or Energy Twister (sort of, still have to manually cast a few Twisters). The biggest issue now is that it synergizes with nothing thanks to the Etched Sigil change. So now it’s just out there awkwardly, almost like a punishment for using it.

It’s almost like because this item exists we can’t have nice things, remove it.

Now, yes, after significant nerfs to Bazooka and significant buffs to Twister/Hydra.

Keep in mind that Deathwish at one point DID provide the damage boost while channelling instantly, and was part of why Bazooka was so powerful. The 1 second delay nerf is exactly why Bazooka fell from the top.

I’m sure we’ll know by the time the next ptr hits. Although I have my expectations set below 0 tbh, especially when it comes to good wizard changes.

As things stand I expect to see no wizard changes for S23.

If so, I would say we’ll get off lucky in that case.

Imagine getting a patch where we have more awkward changes, like
“Hydras deal 400% more damage to enemies in a blackhole”.

I would certainly prefer having no wizard changes over that.

yeah i feel that, after this season that weapon will be almost useless, i cant find any use to it after this, because twister and hydras build cant use it (in non season) so i think they should just remove the chaneled stuff i dont know… yea that sword feels awkward, maybe talrasha or firebird can use it, but those sets are kinda trashy

1 Like

Well, those sets don’t make sense. If LoD can’t incorporate a certain legendary item, none of our sets could. For what build would you use Deathwish? On the other hand, outside season we still have a lot of legacy Etched Sigils… Channel Meteor is still there. And that’s about it. Wizards are in a sad state.

well, i know those sets are trash. but one of my goals in the game is to use each and every set for all classes, and I’ve been trying all wizard sets this season (since is the class im mainly playing this season), and these are the builds that I could find (Typhon, DMO and vyr chantodo are the strongest sets, then talrasha and firebird are the weakest sets)

1.firebird explosive blast
the build i tried: https://prnt.sc/wb2qqq
because the blast is passively denoted, i can perfectly channel the sword and have a damage increase, using the orb of infinite deep (off hand) and the wand of woh (cubbed) and using the deathwish, i did a gr 100 with it, but the damage of those items is not enough (and the set, the damage of the set is the WORST), but still work

2.talrasha meteor:
the build i tried: https://prnt.sc/wb2sjn
actually talrasha is better than firebird, i enjoyed using it, it has fair damage, but still not enough to compare with others, still liked the meteor theme, i did a gr 100 with with meteor shower, since the offhand of talrasha has 25% damage to meteor i decided to use it, and i got a primal ancient nilfur boast i also decided to used them, the grand viezier on cube, Not much more to say…

i tried those build just for fun because those are the weakest sets, i know any wizzard set is outmached widely by LoD, i just had all the perfect set items to do it so i tried… and both of that sets can use deathwish, because as the video above says, you don’t need to channel for more than one second, but the damage increase comes after one second, so those sets can use that sword and still benefit from it. but typhon, DMO and vyr-chant cant use (outside from season)

Wizard has a couple of channeling items, but blizz does not want us to channel at all…

Well, that’s not entirely correct… otherwise they could have made wrEtched Sigil way worse than what it is now. It’s still channeling - only Twisters, yes, but nevertheless. The issue with channeling skills is not so much that Blizzard does not want us to channel - it looks more like they don’t want us to do damage with these skills, which is kinda… moronic given that we have five channeling skills, if you include Electrocute and Archon Disintegration Wave.

What I fail to understand is why they only make half-baked changes or add stuff that’s not really fun. For example:

Let’s take a quick look at Energy Twister for a second. The changed Twisted Sword to grant Raging Storm… okay. They should also have done something with Ranslors in the process (and forget about Valthek, but that’s a different topic altogether). How about adding an effect to Ranslor, that automatically deploys a Slow Time bubble where you cast Energy Twister… and then let that bubble follow the Twister? Like:

Energy Twister now distorts time, deals XXX% more damage and occaisonally pulls in enemies from up to 30 yards.

Pair that with DMO and you are in for some fun. While I mentioned that set… if they go as far as to link channeling and Twisters, they should have also changed DMO in a way that channeling skills can benefit from the 6-piece buff. They’d still be very underwhelming, but nevertheless…

Also, how about Electrocute chaining to Energy Twisters, supercharging them and also gaining a damage buffs from this? That could be done with an item… that very same item should also turn Electrocute into a spender so it can work with wrEtched Sigil…

What about Twisters acting like a Tornado… let them suck up or shred enemy projectiles, and maybe even return them back to the sender occaisonally.

I have a more ideas to make Twisters a fun skill, depending on how they interact with items and other skills. As they are now… well. It’s kinda meh, since you will either use Wicked Wind and Twisters are stationary or you have very little to no control as to how they move.