Diablo Mobile vs PC

If mobile gamers make up 95% of the market how long do you think it will be before companies just say, “do not waste time with PC games anymore.” Do you think D4 will be the last new game in the Diablo series on PC, assuming they have not already changed direction. If you are a PC gamer, will you jump on the mobile bandwagon?

“Mobile is the largest segment in gaming, with nearly 95% of all players globally enjoying games on mobile. Through great teams and great technology, Microsoft and Activision Blizzard will empower players to enjoy the most-immersive franchises, like “Halo” and “Warcraft,” virtually anywhere they want. And with games like “Candy Crush,” Activision Blizzard´s mobile business represents a significant presence and opportunity for Microsoft in this fast-growing segment.” - Microsoft, January 18, 2022

1 Like

No.

As long as PCs are a thing and large percentages (last I saw, the theoretical amount for the US was 95.2%, around 50% worldwide) of homes have one or more, there will be a market.

TVs haven’t stopped being produced because people can use their phones/tablets to watch.

6 Likes

My first console is a PS2, these days kids’ first console is a PHONE. Hence do you guys not have phones ?

1 Like

Mobile was 52% of the industry in 2021. Still really far from killing everything else.

2 Likes

I’m not too concerned at this point. PC gaming has never been as popular as it is today. Yes, mobile is a huge market, but that’s largely due to so many people who were never “gamers” now becoming part of the the gaming marketplace because they have a phone and thumbs.

One other point, 5% may seem small but 5% of a lot is still a lot, and there will be plenty of companies chasing those dollars.

1 Like

I just hate playing in a small screen, but I think the next evolution will be virtual gaming.

1 Like

people prefering phones over pc… mind-boggling.

sure there are those that hook the phones up to real screens where one may find themself. still i´m skeptical of the quality.
haven´t seen applied yet in person.

1 Like

It’s not 5% tho. The quote from MS said that “nearly 95% of all players globally enjoying games on mobile”, but not that this 95% is exclusively mobile or even spending money on mobile. 48% of the whole gaming industry money in 2021 came from non-mobile games. So non-mobile gaming is safe for quite a while.

2 Likes

It seems very unlikely mobile will kill anything.
I only see two realistic scenarios for Teh Fuutuure.

1. The different platfoms all stay relevant and separate, as today, while becoming more and more similar.
  2. Platforms become nearly meaningless, as you can just use whatever device/screen to play all games. Phones will still exist, PC will still exist. But Phone games, and PC games won’t. The bigger differentiator will be which control schemes a game is designed for (mouse&kb/gamepad/touch/VR/multiple)
1 Like

2 Likes

~https://imgur.com/1UWLpym/~

Can’t include links, but here’s a more recent one.

1 Like

Pc gaming will die when smart phone can exceed the graphics power of pcs. Until that happens, PC gaming will continue to thrive at the bleeding edge. I can see consoles disappearing tho.

Whilst sat on the bus, sure.

2 Likes

Or when going :poop: :toilet:

4 Likes

I question your gaming setup. :eyes:

Don’t ignore the fact PC gaming is the smallest segment of gaming. Console users far outnumber PC gamers. Maybe just before the end of my life time of just after, there may not be dedicated PCs as everything will be on portable mobile devices be it tabkes, phones, or watches.

1 Like

It’ll probably be the other way around. Given those portable devices would be pricey to do everything, while gaming consoles would still provide the best value per dollar.

Although the mobile market is bigger, the PC market has not stopped growing (that is, year after year it has generated more money)

The day PC stops growing you have to be afraid.

A small market does not mean that things are not done for it. There are things smaller than video games and things bigger than video games, and neither are disappearing.

1 Like

Or in the middle of a traffic jam
Or in the middle of waiting for their next stop or train
Or waiting for the food to be served at food stall/restaurant
Or waiting for someone to meet you at X spot

For those who actually have a day job or work outside every 5/6days per week, mobile gaming was godsent.

Also, nowadays mobile device has a similar screen size to Nintendo Switch, so if people are making fun of those mobile gamers for being able to stomach the “small” screen size, they are making fun of Switch players as well. And yes, you can dock the mobile game to TV too as Switch did it.

Not me, not enough time to game there, I do tend to have a look through/ read on the forum.