Diablo IV Quarterly Update - Q4 December 2020

Agreed.
Everything is pretty much always about balance :smiley:
My point just was that different bonuses can be stronger and weaker for different kinds of builds.
Balance is still important here too, obviously, because if you make the proc attribute ridiculously overpowered, you force everyone into proc builds.

No, never said that. Like I said before If I wanted to be an Will Barb for some reason there is no benefit other than what Wis brings to the table. Basically gimping my self going off the recent update. So if I wanted my build to be viable I have to hit Str, DeX, and End breakpoints to gain bonuses to be viable. Just like it always has been, the player canā€™t decided to build how they want because of breakpoints.

Now, if they were to expand what each stat does for all classes, giving benefits all around while adding bonuses on skills for the lesser used ones like Str for a Sorc and Wil for a Barb, that will be different. But as it stands all these breakpoints do is guide a player to what the devs want to see.

Go all in with all stats being viable for all classes or remove breakpoint bonuses.

We dont know that based on what has been shown so far.
We have seen some of the skill upgrades for a single barb skill. I would certainly assume even in Blizzards lackluster version from the blog, that other barb skills have upgrades unlocked from Int and Willpower. Otherwise, their proposed system is outright terrible.

But yeah, it needs to improve a lot, even if my assumption about the current system is correct.

Agreed.
If their breakpoints for barbs is just a mix of str and dex, then the game is better off without any breakpoints at all.

Agree. I also donā€™t think any stat should directly increase anything like overall damage like they do. Maybe they all need to effects thing like the non main stats do.

So for Barb Str increases defense and increases the chance in inflict status effects gained from weapons. Int increases magic resistances and increases chance to CC enemies(which makes the stagger meter fill faster). Iā€™d remove CC from DeX and add reduced crushing/crit damage taken. Will looks fine, maybe remove bonus healing and add CC/movement impairment effects reduced.

But yeah straight damage increases are not really good or interesting.

BTW I looked at your new skill tree. I like it. Kind of what I was envisioning when talking about a kill tree for each skill.

Based on what we know now we do. What they havenā€™t shown is is not known so we donā€™t know. I would say given how things have gone I doubt weā€™ll see benefits for going int or wil on Barb.

I only say that because they seem to want a simple system with a bit of depth. Nothing wrong with that approach, just remove those breakpoints if you wonā€™t have them for all stats. I would even go as far as having a different effect or different passive mode for each stat breakpoint. 4 for every passive to choose.

1 Like

i have made a whole list for that :smiley:

[D4 Update] Unique attributes

1 Like

Hah, yeah, you might be right.
I am usually the one with low expectations for anything Blizzard does :smiley:

I hope we get a lot more info at Blizzcon. While I like these blogs, it is always a big weak on detailed information.

Lol true. What just happened? Role reversal here.

Just going to sneak an idea regarding what I think could work for the Druidā€™s class system.

Pretty satisfied from what they did so far tbh. Except maybe 2 things, but letā€™s talk about the good things about the attribute system first

1 - Main damage is relatively low (quite low actually), if say Max attributes are 200, then max. damage output increase is 100% (pretty sure itā€™s 0.5% per stat point afair), but that also means none of other stats. (Main damage att = Str for Barb, Int for Sorc, for Druid might be both with a diminished factor or maybe Int for Human form and Str for Shapeshift form, or heck even maybe Dex for Wolf and Str for Bear form)
2 - Sustain stat, i.e. increased healing received %, this is WP for both Barb and Sorc. This one would probably be invested into quite a bit for melee/dual-wield builds (most likely at least). Also this stat gives Crits for Sorc
3 - Resource stat i.e. increased Resource regen/return. This is WP for Barb and Dex for Sorc. If you want to gain high cast rate of high-spender spells that have the impact then this is what you spec for. BUT this also means you wonā€™t gain main % damage factor as well as no sustain rate (for Sorc, for Barb both sustain and resource gain are on same stat though)
4 - Crit stat (Dex for Barb, WP for Sorc)

The better side of all this is that ALL of them have a defensive attribute in addition. Str = DEF = Physical/primary damage resistance, Int = AllRes = Elemental resistance, WP = sustain, Dex = Dodge

NOW, the part where things could/should improve

1 - instead of Crit % chance make it so that itā€™s hit-effect chance. Not just increase chance to crit but if equip crit then itā€™s chance to crit, if equip slow then itā€™s chance to slow, if equip root then chance to root, e.t.c.

2 - use the UNUSED (ofensively) stat for hit-effect % power, i.e. crit damage % amplifier, root/stun/blind hit-effect durationsā€¦ The unused (currently unused, ofensively) stat for Barb is Int, and for Sorc is Str, so yes, make so that Barb gains extra crit % damage or hit-effect power from Int, and crit % damage or hit-effect power/duration from Str for Sorc

THAT WAY, all the stats will have lots of impact/useā€¦ Currenltly some may be too low (DEF per Str for ex., there are rings that have more DEF in the late game lol), and some may be too high (not sure but think crit % chance was 0.25% per stat point, add some Dex gear and this can snowball)

I also really like/love the fact that there arenā€™t connections to AS/FCR from primary attributes, that gives a really good amount of control to not have things snowball fast out of control

So yes, pretty satisfied and quite pleased at the direction currently things are going onto tbh, some improvements could be done sure, but even without that things feel quite well balanced overall :slight_smile:

It might be more than that as one of the Whirlwind upgrade nodes required 225 strength and dexterity.

Maybe thatā€™s 225 combined.

1 Like

I hadnā€™t considered that.

I only day that because it says 225 Str and DeX not 225 each.

40 levels * 5 = 200, ofc. there is gear but even with a near all-in gear Iā€™d doubt you can get more than 320 or somewhere aroundā€¦ Like top top top gear and all-in really good rolls would give around that much

Which isnā€™t a low amount, for example thatā€™s 160% spellpower (bonus) for primary attribute, or 54% all res (from Int alone), 54% crit chance, and probably 54% dodge chance also (first one is 0.5% per stat and the rest are 0.2%). The only thing (again) that is too low is the DEF ratio per Str stat (I mean come on, a ring has more DEF in late game than 320 lol)

Ofc, all these are an ALL-IN in one of a kind stat, chances are most of them would cap before getting to the 50% mark or more like before 40% mark evenā€¦ And even like this the numbers feel a bit too high tbh but I guess still fine overall

Regardless, point being: the Primary stat % power increase isnā€™t the most effective one to invest into, which is what we were analysing the most

That would make it even weaker than it already is :smiley:

Still, would have been more correct to say 225 str OR dex, if that was the case.

I have said it before, but pretty much all Blizzards blog post pictures look like they are created for the blogs, rather than being actual working systems.
How the number of affix points does not add up, is another example of this.

Either that, or you get a lot more attribute points from gear, than Blizzard claimed in the blog.

You can supplement your characterā€™s stat build with items to give you a little more Willpower here, a little more Strength there, but the vast majority of your stats will come from how you choose to spend your points.

1 Like

Yeah, kinda noticed it too, Barb has a lot more of everything than the Sorc (in general)ā€¦ I guess theyā€™re still ā€œexperimentingā€ with character-power vs gear-power ratios and stuff but the ā€œratio per attributeā€ seems constant though

Thatā€™s assuming that we only get 5 stat points per level, along with no side quests that grants stat points as a reward. If 200 is the most stat points you could get or the highest you could plot in a primary stat, then it wouldnā€™t be possible to unlock some of the upgrade nodes, unless itā€™s like how Beefhammer said whereas the upgrade nodes could be unlocked through the sum of multiple primary stats, like the 225 strength and dexterity requirement) instead of needing to get both of them to 225 individually.

It would be possible, through gear.
I hope that the skill upgrade breakpoints ignore gear. I know some people like it (since that is how things worked in D2), but imo it would be a mess if you can gain and lose skill upgrades when replacing gear.

Another thing is; we might not start at 0 attribute points.
The lowest points on the pictures (if they can really be trusted in any way) is 20. Maybe that is the bottom. Maybe they all grow automatically by 1 at each lvl, because Blizzard cant totally give up on their desire for automated points :smiley: