Diablo IV Quarterly Update - Q2 June 2020

Thanks for the update! Please keep crit chance & crit damage to a minimum this time around.

13 Likes

Yeah, imo like 5 affixes + legendary affix on legendaries, and up to maybe 7 affixes on rares.

5 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:

Really happy with everything except for the Multiplayer aspect, I would prefer never seeing another player outside of World Events or the Largest Settlement.
Itā€™s honestly a real deal breaker for me unfortunately.

Please reconsider having this as an option for players instead, Iā€™m no programmer or designer and have no understanding of what sort of technical hurdles that would require jumping its just my suggestion and hope.

Max.

8 Likes

Was scrolling down reading through this update, looking good, looking good, looking good, then got to the items.

The legendary affixes are not bad, and yes itā€™s ā€˜early stagesā€™ so I wonā€™t be too mean about it. But so far these are really so basic & boring, they worry me much more than anything else and are something that needs to be addressed before i can start holding much hope for this game. Items should be coming first in a diablo game, and people have already gone on about that enough that I feel as ā€˜early developmentā€™ as it is it still shouldā€™ve been addressed better by now before these other things

7 Likes

I love a lot of the things here but man those items are rough. The items shown in the post are justā€¦ boring. The itemization in the game will define its success and right now I canā€™t see how they will fare better than a few weeks of play. There is a severe lack of actual depth. In addition to this, ancestral power, etc., just seem like primary attributes but with different names. Iā€™m not sold. :-/

8 Likes

First and foremost I would like to think the Diablo team for putting all this information out there in the open for us. It really is a treat. I love the direction what you have shown so for.

However, the legendary affixes did seem a tad bit lackluster, generic, and meh. Iā€™m sure you have more on the way but just thought it should be said.

And as far as what we want to hear about in the future? This is a ARPG so the biggest elephant in the room is going to be ā€œWhat is the endgame like?ā€. I really hope that the endgame for D4 becomes something deep, rewards time put into it, and just engaging. None of us want to be drenched in legendaries after like 4 hours of playtime. Give me something to work for.

Love you all and thank you.

7 Likes

Read things under images, items are not final as balance obviously

1 Like

As someone who has played Diablo since the beginning and a fan of MMOs since around the same time, Iā€™m really liking the idea of combining both. That said, the MMO aspect needs to be done well or it may ruin the game. Iā€™ve played almost every MMO on the market since 2000 and many of the more modern ones often devolve into a solo experience where youā€™re basically following quest markers 90% of the time and other players are just a nuisance. So, what does it take to make a good MMO (IMO)? Relevance to group with others, offering something that other players may need- examples would be CC, healing, resurrection, tanking, etc. Itā€™s also important to note that Diablo and ARPG games are different kinds of games than WoW and that some things that work in WoW, Everquest, or DaoC may not work well in an ARPG. I donā€™t know all the answers but I do know that often times people play ARPGs with the sole intention of not wanting to see people spamming in chat, we also donā€™t want to see bots wandering the world killing our stuff. Solo players should be able to find places to solo if they choose (I think you addressed this in the past and I appreciate it). I also know that tagging enemies and having issues finding monsters to kill can really aggravate people to the point of giving up- especially if theyā€™re trying to do a quest. On top of this, a system not solely driven by quests would probably make a big difference. Quests are nice and all but theyā€™re often something you do once and then they just become an obligation afterwards. Give us some options for leveling that are viable alternatives to questing.

-Iā€™d really like to see some sort of competitive systems: PvP, timed dungeons, etc.

Thank you for the update. Overall I am loving what I am seeing. I would like to note a few key thoughts and concerns though.

1. First of all, the artwork and visuals of the classic demon and the rest of the world is top notch. Loving the vibe!

2. The items look pretty interesting, and I am very happy to see interesting stats on items (such as crushing blow) and the embrace of item fantasy, having damage be on weapons and defense on gear. With that said, I am a bit concerned that there is no damage range or speed on weapons. What makes the different weapon types feel different? In addition to this, I am both intrigued and skeptical about the Angelic/Demonic/Ancestral stats. I need to see more on how these function and how they will affect the end game of gearing. I could see it as a great new feature with depth and though, or as annoying restriction that is unnecessary. I am reserving judgement until I see more. Side note: is the item art in those pics from the old item art, or is that updated like you mentioned in the previous update? I LOVED the more realistic looking items mentioned last time.

3. I am a big fan of the presentation and story so far, and that includes the choices you have made to have in-game cinematics. It is always jarring to see your character wearing gear then not wearing gear in a cinematic. Also, I assume this means the frame-rate will be the same as if you were playing, which means my 120hz monitor will display the cinematics as silky smooth as the rest of the game.

4. The open world is looking pretty awesome so far, with what seems like a variety of open and more narrow areas. Hopefully this is at least even and there are plenty of fields and such as well as dungeons and narrow mountain paths. My concerns with the open world are the balancing of enemies and scaling difficulties. I am not sure how this will be handled, since scaling can be used effectively to provide more exploration and fun for replaying, but also can hurt the sense of becoming stronger. A balance needs to be found here so it doesnā€™t feel like a constant grind where you never feel powerful, but also one where it is challenging enough in areas that should be. And as noted in the quarterly update, there is always some concern about the shared world experience. Based on what I am hearing, it sounds potentially good, though I am wary of this as well.

To summarize and express some closing thoughts:

• Great work so far! Loving most things I am seeing.
  • Would like to hear more about itemization concerning weapon type identities, angelic/ancestral/demonic stats, and what makes different gear pieces stand out, meaning gloves vs boots, vs helmet, etc.
  • Definitely interested in learning more about talent trees and skills. Loot and leveling are the two core components of the genre, and are a huge part of what makes an ARPG great or not. The other part is the presentation and atmosphere, but I donā€™t have many concerns with that at this point, as you guys are nailing it so far.
4 Likes

Can you guys reimagine ancestral/demonic/angelic powers?

To me it will be just a replacement system for D3 sets.

You gonna be locked in being ancestral or angelic just like being a Immortal king barbarian or Inna Monk.

7 Likes

iā€™m curious if there will be a way to play the game without seeing any other players anywhere at all? in Diablo 3 one of the things i like is that you can play the game either way, public or private. for my initial play-through of the game i enjoyed experiencing everything on my own without the distraction of random people bopping around in my game. also there i times when i want to play on my own for other reasons. will we be able to play D4 privately, or will we always run into other players on our journey?

12 Likes

The images posted are beautiful, the thoughtfulness your all sharing is appreciated as well. I canā€™t wait to see whatā€™s next.

2 Likes

First of all, thank you for this very open and sharing approach.

Personally, I like it very much.
Also the insight in game developing.
(Iā€™m a gis developer myself).

What I always liked about diablo is the godforsaken, dark, loneliness in a doomed world. Full of blood and gore caused by demons. And only you can help.
I loved that bit.

Although not dark enough and missing the blood and gore, in my opinion, D3 did have a great story (except for cainā€™s demise, I hope he makes a full recovery in d4).

So, I love a good story. I know Blizzard can. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure the open world thing is going to be a plus. I certainly would not like mandatory large group play to slay a boss.
Raids have no place in diablo, in my opinion.

Items.
I donā€™t know their contexts nor can I estimate their increase in power to the character. So I canā€™t really comment on that.
However, I always liked having a top tier of items, like uniques (D2) or legendaries (D3).
(Not ancients and primals).
A way to perfect your items would be awesome. Especially obtaining optimal rolls and stats you want.
Would be great to upgrade a legendary to primal in D3 with the stats you want.

Having a tier of which only one can be equipped feels like a mistake to me.

Hopefully that changes in the coming time.

Please ensure we have lots and lots of stash space and character slots in D4.

Testing.
Awesome you took advantage of this nasty bug to test client server tech and even rolling out updates.

Obviously, I canā€™t wait for it to be finished. You too, I guess.
But please do the famous Blizzard thing where you only release when you feel it is ready. Blizzard games used to be so robust, steady and mostly bug free. Reinstate that please. It will be much appreciated.
Yes used to be. W3 remaster was a disaster.

While fully understandable itā€™ll take few more years before release, can you please make some more interesting updates for D3, please.
Perhaps finish the story and areas of the abadoned 2nd expansion. It seems nice given the few bits and pieces in D3 now.
And yes, Iā€™d pay for that.
More character slots would be nice too, btw.

I am looking forward to the next update.
Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be honest: I perused those items and have absolutely no idea what they do, or whether these are good or bad. :woman_shrugging:

ā€œEasy to learnā€? I hope so.

Kinda sad there wasnā€™t more screenshots of the world. I know it is a work-in-progress, but the sporadic release of screenshots and concept art is all I have to slake my appetite for Diablo 4, until a playable demo becomes available. Feed me, dammit! :plate_with_cutlery:

1 Like

I think my main hope here is that when they use Angelic/Demonic/Ancestral stats as a prereq for other affixes they let it be random. For example, I donā€™t want Crushing Blow affixes to always be tied to a high Ancestral score, because then you canā€™t experiment with Demonic Crushing Blow builds, etc. So if an item can roll a Crushing Blow affix with any of the three as a prereq, that could potentially be fine (albeit annoying) because then you just need to grind to find a version of that item with the affix that fits your build.

1 Like

My main concern about this game revolves around the Druid. Ever since LoD Druid has been my favorite class being able to choose between a summoner/elemental/werewolf/werebear. I like the direction the game is goin, however I always liked playing as a werewolf with an EbotdZ and just tearing through things. I would like to know if there are any plans to make the Druid stay in werewolf form besides using the skills that change between forms. While it looks cool, Iā€™m not too sure Iā€™m going to like it. That may change when I get my hands on it, but after watching(and rewatching ) the blizzcon demo multiple times, I began to feel discouraged about the Druid and how this change will make my favorite class in the Diablo franchise become my least favorite.

2 Likes

I can see two main solutions here.

1. Random. Sometimes Crushing blow requires Ancestral power, sometimes Demonic. On the other hand, why bother with the system at all then? It only adds RNG.

2. Tiered affixes.
    (a) Like 1-5% crit chance do not require any ADA power. But 6% crit chance affix requires Angelic Power or whatever. That way, if you want that last step on the affix tier, it comes with a cost/tradeoff, but you can do perfectly fine with just the second highest affix tier too.
    (b) An alternative to this version would be scaling affixes, if you have 0 Angelic power, the affix gives 3% crit, if you have 30 Angelic power it might give 4.5 crit, if you have 60+ angelic power it might give 6% crit. That way, you have soft scaling instead of hard breakpoints. Both systems can work imo, just a matter of preference.

In any case, yes, it would be really bad if each affix is tied to a specific ADA power. That would be D3 sets all over again. By locking players into a few pre-defined paths of where they can go with their builds.

3 Likes

The new update didnā€™t feel like it had a ton of information. A lot of it was ā€œwe are playing the game, come see how we develop games and the iteration processā€.

With that said I am VERY concerned about skills in Diablo 4. You mentioned the talent tree being a hot topic but I think if players can only choose 6 skills the game is doomed to suck. Please talk about the skill bar some more.

There werenā€™t any new photos of heros in the real world so Iā€™m just presuming you all are still running 6 skills. Itā€™s not enough. My barbarian in D2 this season uses 11-12 skills PLUS the run toggle key. We need combat complexity. Also a weapon switch please for magic finding/buffs/dual playstyles/spell charges, etc.

Also, Iā€™d like to hear more on resource and life regeneration. I hope that spamming abilities without having to use ā€œresource junk movesā€ is a thing.

I do like that you all added crushing blow and +to skills again, it seems so obvious that itā€™s frankly annoying it wasnā€™t in vanilla Diablo 3. A nice addition to items.

The legendaries look like a lot of the affixes may be random, I hope many of these items are more static with their mods. I like that in D2 you can say unique item x and people know roughly what it is. Also, can we please call these uniques again? Why did we have to adopt WoW terminology, D2 named these and it was absolutely fine. We donā€™t want Diablo to blend anymore with WoW, they need to be very separate games.

Please talk about runes some more and socketed items, please elaborate on this system. Will there be runewords? Socketed gray items role if any? What is the max amount of sockets on an item? etc. The runes seem really underwhelming right now, I hope this isnā€™t a case of being too proud to bring back runewords. We get it, Diablo 3 suck and Diablo 4 is a new game; not Diablo 2 again. That doesnā€™t mean scrap runes and make a bad game again like Diablo 3 just to be different.

Crafting and charms would be great additions to talk about as well. Will we be forced to carry trash items again to the blacksmith? Can we have something much better please? Charms easily beats hauling trash around.

9 Likes

Pretty good update, seems like the team has the idea not to make the game an MMO.

Like the inclusion of camps, right out of ā€œThe Witcher 3ā€ (which is fine BTW). More immersive stuff like that gets my vote.

2 Likes

Iā€™m loving what i see! Great job! Talents and skills are really what we what to know more about. As someone said above itemsā€™ descriptions are not clear at all.

An idea: you can upgrade roll of a chosen affix though some kind of blood magic (idk) so you have progress bar on weapon and you need to kill monsters to fill it and slightly increase chosen affixā€™s numbers

4 Likes