Diablo IV Quarterly Update - Q1 February 2020

A few years ago, a company made a game and hired me to create a Game Design Document and a Technical Design Document after the game was made just to impress the investors. I’m sure this is what Blizzard did, this excuse of “We studied the best design based on human behaviours” is just a bunch of designers trying to impress people and hide any information so players can’t ask for them later like in Warcraft III: Reforged.

I always say that, but we HATE surprises. Is much better you tell us that the game didn’t evolve much from Blizzcon and you’re having trouble to merge players feedback with developers ideas than just hide everything and release as a “big surprise”.

1 Like

Can we also have an option to fade in and out the UI so that its not always 100 max in your face. Once I have my skill binds to my keys I don’t need to have that UI constantly on my screen. I would rather have an option to fade it out when not needed so that I can have a bigger picture of the world and enjoy the immersion.

2 Likes
https://imgur.com/bsHdMlc

How bout this?

It’s not my leak. I just linked to it.

When did we speak?

2 Likes

I noticed on the inventory screen the character has 203 health potions. You did away with mana potions in diablo3 due to each class having a unique resource, you also did away with scrolls of ID and TP. I think its time to rework potions, it seems like a useless item to need to pick up and for the game to need to track how many you have. The system should be reworked in some way either by just having potions be an equipable item and you can have different unique effects like in diablo3 currently or try to come up with a variation of path of exile potions. PoE potions kinda stink in terms of boss fights as they rely on the massive amount of mobs in the world refilling them then in a 1 v 1 fight theres very little potion recovery and you just run out of the ability to use them.

1 Like

Instead of making the action bar position mandatory why not just make it a toggle that players can choose? Diablo as well as many diablo clones have stay with a tried and true bottom center of the screen. personally from playing world of warcraft for over 15 years i RARELY look at the bottom left of the screen as thats where chat is im more focused on my action bar in the center and even notice the bottom right of the screen more than the bottom left. Wow has gotten us used to UI customization and addons I think diablo4 could use some more options. Like Jay Wilson said in the diablo3 initial reveal trailer “Diablo3 will have so many options it will make your head spin” well that never came to pass but giving the player freedom of choice is never a bad thing

1 Like

Absolutely! Did you do that, or were those like that, and I missed it. Either way I like those alot. I like have multiple visual cues for things like this.

1 Like

I did the bottom ones. Used some d3 textures :grin:

1 Like

The proof-of-concept Huntress looked badass.

I bet they’ll announce the last 2 at Blizzcon 2020.

3 Likes

Will the skill shrubbery that is presented in this update grow into an adult skill tree by the time D4 is ready for launch?

Right now the choices look a little sparse.

Please do some market comparison in the ARPG genre to find examples of the depth and variety of choices that can be offered.

Thanks

6 Likes

Woah, can’t wait to customize my character with a wide variety of stats like Health, Defense, and Armor!
The possibilities are endless!

/sarcasm

I’ll stick to Path of Exile, thanks.

7 Likes

You forgot about 3 other main stats and there are more stats under Details. :wink: They talked about this on blizzcon.

Agree with everything you wrote. You make some really good points, and I found your post to be the best in this thread.

The design direction all looks to be aimed at dumbing the game down to the least common denominator, IE. console controllers and mobile support.

4 Likes

He’s talking about the way enemies on the screen blink white when they’re being damaged. He’s right, it totally kills the presentation. It’s something that kills the “dark corners” vibe you’re going for because they blink outside of the light radius as well. It does remind me of an arcade beat 'em up. I think we can determine when we’re hitting monsters by their health bar, the blood coming out of them and the audio queues. Do we really need them to trigger epileptics?

11 Likes

Yet again your art team is killing it and your game systems team is phoning it in. Give them a week to go play POE and D2 so they can actually see what made this genre popular. It’s not the over simplification of systems to make them more approachable. It’s depth of builds and skill synergies coupled with complimentary stats that make weird builds possible but only when you finally get that last piece that brings it all together. D3 with sets was way too simple and made every other piece of loot in the game feel worthless if it was not Green.

Blizzard used to be the one to push the envelope and refine what was already out to a much higher standard. Now you guys are barely able to make anything that does not feel like a mobile game.

11 Likes

no, i mean the way the enemies light up like christmas trees when they take any damage whatsoever! it’s just so ugly in such a well-crafted world. at least give us the option to turn this blinking off, it’s one of my main gripes with the feel of the game

the artstyle is beyond amazing and more than i could have even imagined. it looks sooooo good! don’t let the blinking enemies take away from it!

6 Likes

It really depends how their schedule goes. I hope they announce open Alpha with invites at Blizzcon 2020, which would mean the 2 classes will be known (either announced together at the event or separately - one before the event). If their work is going slow however they might announce just 1 class at Blizzcon. Of course, the worst scenario is some big internal problems and 0 new classes announced in 2020.

I would love to see more equipment slots and other things that make this style of game more challenging and complex! No matter what it is but please challenge us !!! It’s clear what I’m seeing! Diablo 4 is more focused on console players than PC! The simplicity is so great that I am concerned if my neurons will be used! I apologize for the irony but it is the reality!

5 Likes

You are right this is Diablo 3.5, or even worse, a downgrade of D3.

6 Likes

One of the things I want to see in more details is… the DETAILS button in the character screen. What will it show? Will it show a wide range of stats and how they affect the character? Faster Attack? Faster Cast? Stun? Individual Resists? The traditional Attributes?

I want to know more about that button.

5 Likes