Diablo IV - Please remove Attack and Defense

Please remove the Attack and Defense stats, this system makes common , magic and rare items useless because you are " forced " to use legendaries. Legendaries will have more Attack and Defense than rares which makes common, magic and rare items obsolete . The reason for this is the Attack and Defense stat scales with the quality of the item which removes players decision-making. They should reconsider to take the D2 itemization system instead of their current itemization system

This video makes it clear why attack and defense needs go away.

85 Likes

They’re trying to dumb it down for the casual players. There’s literally no other explanation or argument for this. It’s literally all out of greed for the market.

I will continue to +1 posts like OP’s because it’s the hard truth. All they think about is quantity over quality.

Bring back D2 itemization and stop catering to simple minded casual players. This is Diablo, not Candy Crush. If you’re truly going back to the roots of the franchise then you should know that Diablo is not meant to be simple and braindead. It’s supposed to reward you for your knowledge of the game and be punishing.

47 Likes

I’d rather the devs just make Common, Magic, and Rare items more competitive for gear slots.

Atk/Def being removed or replaced with Str/Dex/Int/Vit doesn’t actually change that.

There’s also no reason not to keep Str/Dex/Int/Vit stats over Atk/Def if those stats don’t contribute to meaningful gameplay. So on that front, unless traditional stats are going to have synergy with other systems and actually contribute to meaningful character building – I’m fine without them.

8 Likes

In my opinion, the biggest culprit is the heavy reliance on main stat or stat in general. Decent Items on D2 had 2~30 stat on them yet, these stats weren’t the focus. If you are missing a main stat for D3, you lost big chunk of damage so the usual formular of main stat and vit is always present and this also dictates the tight frame of attack and defence.

If we are to have meaningful main stat, it will have to compete against other useful affix, not always exist alongside it.

10 Likes

I don’t mind the basic Attack/Defense so long as the affixes & suffixes are interesting. The basic A/D places more of your focus on the affixes & suffixes which was more of the important item details. A large part is what do you what Str/Int/Dex/Vit to do & effect?

Str/Int/Dex/Vit Effects

• Improves damage
  • Becomes a item equip check (which at endgame once all details known has a correct stat distribution & path to allocation of these points).
  • Improves skill resource pool (eg. Increases mana/health).

Removed Str/Int/Dex/Vit

• The primary dmg increasing effect can just be achieved with damage boosting affixes & suffixes.
  • The question is do we want item stat equip checks & what value to they really bring (Bar’s don’t care about Int & would never use any int with Int on it).
  • Improving resource pools can also just be achieved by direct affixes & suffixes (eg. Increase max health by 15%).

Regarding item rarity tiers & endgame usefulness I believe a good way to proceed is by the idea of sockets/customizable/crafted items using Normal, Magic & Rares as the base physical item used (eg. NMRs could be the only items that allow complex Runewords greater then 2 Runes).

Basically NMRs end up with more sockets then what can be founded on Ledendaries, Ancients, Mythics & can have more modified/enhanced power added to them. Where as LAMs are basically what you fine on the drop with maybe the only customizable option for them being rerolling the affixes & suffixes on them.

2 Likes

No it doesn’t. Decision-making among 10 rares and 5 legendaries is no difference from decision-making among 15 legendaries with 3x drop rate. By saying rare items should be useful you’re actually saying you want everyone has less legendary powers on their gears.

1 Like

Agreed. Legendary items shouldn’t be the only “end game” items. It’s like they’re replacing sets from D3 with legendary items. Yes, they don’t force you into a build, but we’ll just end up salvaging rares and magic items all over again. Please take a better look at D2’s and PoE’s itemization.

6 Likes

If you have full legendary setup. At that point why should even get rares if they are useless?

2 Likes

Not at all! What we’re saying is that bestest of the best shouldn’t be dictated by the colour of the item name. All should have a chance to be BiS, depending on the build.

To set up the game so legendary/set is automatically better than rare is mindless, simplistic and shallow. Ancient is completely unnecessary. Give us a reasons to look at the other pieces of gear and not just watch for gold/green/red beams of light. Make all gear exciting, not just the top most gear that falls at the higher levels.

9 Likes

Only a few of them are really exciting. The others are your illusion, and a filter of items by color is really helpful.

I want to spend more time play with my gears, not play for them.

I agree, the biggest reward I can get from any game is that I learn something new everyday and deep itemization is the name.

4 Likes

You guys are EXTREMELY HORRIBLE at giving proper feedback, you don’t even explain core things of WHY that is bad, BUT LUCKILY found a video of PERFECT EXPLANATION of that

Ok, so, let’s get straight (or at least slightly strait), ATK/DEF may just be a different way to say Damage/Toughness… But then who knows right ?, I’d guess ATK is primary/core stat, and DEF is Armor or Armor + Vit instead

The GOOD PART is Noxious has VERY WELL EXPLAINED in the vid above why including (and scaling per level and per rarity of item) those core stats on items is a bad idea, and further more how those could get fixed

Yes, agreed (to an extent) with the @OP statement, but don’t think necessarily the core stat is a bad idea, they JUST NEED TO remove the connection of Skill Tree (and skill strength in general) to the Weapon DPS

He also talks about the Crit spam (i.e. the trifecta inherrited problem) from Vanilla D3 but sadly the community didn’t have a problem with, (at least IMO), with that and how the RoS dev team was FORCED to put definition of builds tied to Legendaries instead

Hope this is actually a better way to say it instead of just “spam” without people understanding of how/what/why ATK/DEF is a potential future-defining design problem for the game

7 Likes

You know what the good thing about POE loot is? (And, vice versa, the bad thing at times)

Every class and every build needs significantly different stats, and items can roll with a MASSIVE Number of different stats-- You need to keep your resistances capped, you want either ES or health, you avoid Chaos resistance if you’re Innoculation but appreciate it if you’re health, some builds want life leech, others want stats for casting, You have Resolute technique users who can’t crit and don’t want it, then you have other melee who DO want it, ect.

This means that there’s just billions and billions of ways for an item to roll with different stats, that could be useful for one guy, okay for another, or useless, and they can all be mixed together.
This means that its very easy for a higher level piece to be worse than a lower level piece, and vice versa.

AND THAT is one reason that POE has such high replay value, the various possibilities that you could get with loot.
This just looks way too simple and binary.

3 Likes

if you add actual attributes, how is blizzard gonna convince casual people to spend money in this game.
blizz wants ur money, wants no lifer’s money, wants people who plays 2 or 3 hrs a week’s money. cant make all the money in the world if they ignore even 1 segment of the playerbase. they’ll make alot of money though, but thats not good enough :3

Dang, how did Path of exile ever make money being so complicated and existing solely on cosmetic monetization? I mean, by all accounts, it shouldn’t have worked if only casuals spend money.

is poe making the amount of moneys in the billions every year (like wow)? cuz thats the amount blizz wants to make in every single one of their titles :o!

and once they reached billions, they’ll aim for trillions (for every single one of their titles). then after that is kazillions O!!!

Its been a LONG time since WOW has been raking in that kind of money. Its supposedly at 1.7 million subscribers now, which means its only a (relatively) paltry 387 million from subs per year, which doesn’t take into account expenses to run the servers/Pay support/ect.

Likewise, D3 is basically a dead game at the moment, while POE is still going very strong. I’d actually say D2 has more players than D3 right now.
D3 may have made a big burst of money at launch, but that’s not long term profit. If you have a game that keeps people hooked for years, buying new cosmetics every year or even paying money for their Unique ideas to get put into the game (like how POE will charge a player money and work with them to put in a unique concept they have for an item, which likewise keeps things feeling fresh with new items coming down the pipeline constantly), you’ll have LONG TERM income.

yeah but that line of thinking doesnt work on blizzard. if their revenues are front loaded. then their stock rockets up really high.

blizzard’s customers are the stock holders. and the player base is the cow. blizzard milk us for money and sell it to the stock holder to buy (shares) :D.

This is one reason why I lack faith in libertarian’s unfallible faith in capitalism-- Too often the invisible hand will actually take a path that is DETRIMENTAL to overall Averaged income simply because shareholders prioritize short term income over long term income too much.
If a company fails but you manage to pull your stock out before that and make money from investing in it, what do you care? You got what you wanted, you can move onto manipulating stock in another company, forget the one that died.

1 Like

Like for you too sir!