Diablo IV Announcement Discussion

Personally, this part about the D4 scares me.

D3 was boring because of its simplicity and monotony. In order to properly pump the charter in D2, you had to try. Why make the game easier? D3 cool simple, you run and press the button and wow …

Mentioned this on another forum but this may be a better place for it. Maybe someone happens to know.

I have one burning question that I want answered before I get excited at all. There’s mention that the game will be completely online. But will it still offer the 2 player couch gameplay? In other words, on console, can my husband and I still play together or are they going to follow the crappy path of so many other games and go to network only multiplayer (meaning you have to have two systems).
It saddens me that so many great rpg and hack and slash have gone this directions. Really makes me miss Dark Alliance and Neverwinter on console.

I think only being able to wear 1 mythic item seems underwhelming.
Right now we can have a full set of primal items to wear.
I would hate having to decide which one to use unless they are just THAT powerful.
I hope they will change this.

First I would like to say that I am really stoked for Diablo 4 and cant wait to play it. I do want to give a little feedback from what was announced in panels and interviews.

Trading: Mythic items, ancient legendaries, and legendaries that drop from specific sources should remain untradeable. Everything else should be tradeable (crafting materials, currency, regular legendaries and lower gear). All dungeons should have at least 2 pieces of loot that is exclusive to that area that cant be traded. This way it gives players to go to that area.

Stash: A shared stash space is nice but I would rather have a lot of stash space for 1 character. Instead of a shared stash, give us an upgradeable personal stash and a mailbox to send items and mail to either our other characters or others. As far as upgrading the stash space, D3 was good but I think a tab or two should be exclusive upgrade items that drop off world bosses (travelers backpack or storage chest). You pick it up and your stash is increased.

Increasing difficulty level: You stated that dungeons can be scaled similar to WoW’s mythic dungeons with keys and affixes but you didn’t state anything about changing world difficulty. WoW has scaling tech that could help with this. Say player 1 wants to play on torment 1 and player 2 wants to play on normal. Player 1 damage does percentage based damage relative to the difficulty they chose. Also monster abilities do increased damage from their abilities to the player. Instead of changing the world to suit the player, have the player change to suit the difficulty. Increased difficulty yields better rewards as usual.

Legendaries: I think making sets less prominent is a good thing. They should be good but shouldn’t lock you into that as the only way to play the class.

Power Creep: I think buffing and nerfing items so they don’t get crazy out of control is a good thing.

Transmog: I don’t particularly care for this but if its going to happen, D3 system with the mystic was ok.

Kanai’s Cube/Horadric Cube: Yes please. Rerolling stats and changing one crafting material to another is my only request. I did like the extra legendary powers from D3 but unless I play D4, I cant tell if that would be necessary or not.

Other that that, I think that is all the feedback I can give without actually testing out D4 myself. So far I think its a good start.

1 Like

What makes it impossible to have single player online? I know at least a handful of games that are online, but do have a single player option (basically locked instance) means nobody can join in your game. Although it still doesn’t answer the issue of multiplayer on a single console.

:japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre:
My feedback and suggestions on Diablo 4.
:japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre:

Hey Diablo 4 devs,

I know you guys are working hard on the game right now. If you do read this, here are some of my feedback based on what I saw.

1. Make the artwork darker, as we walk and explore areas make it like Diablo 2 where the spotlight dimly shines on only your character and the surroundings slowly illuminate around you.
  2. Allow casual players to have something to look forward to instead of GR for competitive players. I love the idea of D2 having hell difficulty and uber tristram with unique drops.
  3. More cut scenes to allow players to feel attached to the world and story. Cut scenes before boss fights or even small characters; FromSoftware does a good job of this
  4. Make lots of different monsters based on the environment
  5. Introduce new classes such as Samurai, Ninja, Scholar, Roman/Dynasty Soldier or even a converted demon monk/asura
  6. Make legendaries based on unique monsters or bosses, and when equipped, a special animation of your character when equipped to really feel the impact of the item, or introduce a glowing aura.

I BELIEVE IN YOU GUYS!

I thought that too. I don’t think it’s the same character, but it is definitely the same voice actor.

All I’ve heard so far is:

• D4 will be available for PC, Xbox One and PS4.
  • There will be controller support for D4 on PC.
  • D4 on PC will be online-only.

I don’t know how that translates to consoles. I don’t own one and know nothing about them. (Sorry).

Mythic items all have four Legendary Powers. Not just one.

So, if D4 ends up with 13 item Slots, like D3, would you rather have:

• 13 Primal items with 13 Legendary Powers.
  • Or 12 Ancient items with 12 Legendary Powers + 1 Mythic item with 4 Legendary Powers for a total of 16 Legendary Powers?

I prefer 16 Legendary Powers myself. (Of course, that’s if D4 ends up giving us 13 item Slots).

I would also like to add to my list:

Crafting materials storage: I think this should be a separate account wide thing. You loot them like D3 into a tab that doesn’t take up inventory space then when you visit the towns, you can deposit them if you want into a separate account wide place in the stash. This way you can have access to them on other characters but your entire stash isn’t filled with other characters gear.

Available Classes: The Sorcerer, Barbarian, and Druid were announced. I’d personally like to see Necromancer and Demon Hunter return. As far as new classes, I wouldn’t mind seeing a Rogue/Cutthroat/Assassin class that can pick locks, is fast paced, and can stealth assassinate things. I would have said give the Monk back but that seems more anime and not dark and gritty that I think D4 is going for. The Demon Hunter is more ranged and is more like a WoW hunter. As for how lock picking could work, there could be special chests you can open if you crafted a key, got a key to drop, or brought a Rogue with. There could also be an extra area in a dungeon that has a boss that can only be opened with keys or a Rogue.

Game looks amazing, the design and UI I was really a fan of. Tonally it feels amazing.

Graphics;
I had this one point, where I watched the game on google chrome on my PC and it looked really washed out, and then watched it on HDR TV and it looked incedible. This reminded me of the D3 Dark mod which was kind of banned. Please consider adding filters to the game, or additional graphical options beyond the standard that adjust the darkness and sharpness of the game. It can make a world of difference.

The Characters & Design;
I really liked how the Characters had completely different mechanics, for example the Barbarian having more items which will separate him by allowing extra powers. The Druid shapeshifting allowing for changes in passive ability on the fly.
Perhaps you could consider allowing the Sorcerer to use mana potions exclusively?
Perhaps you could add the assassin with no resource that focuses on combination strikes and cooldown skills?

Boss FIghts;
The boss fights looked good, I think the dodge mechanic use should be limited as much as possible though, I don’t want the dodge mechanic to be a must except in sequenced events, other wise cd on dodge is gonna get my HC character deaded.
Also one of my biggest peeves in Diablo 3, cut scenes and load screens in the middle of boss fights i,e Diablo shadow realm… please make sure this does not happen unless it absolutely is a must.

The world and story;
I have one concern and that is how the story works when there are 30 players on screen, this really bothered me in Diablo 3, where I am the one Nephalem that was prophesized yet there’s four of us in the party. Please just Narate the story for multiplayer.

The Inventory;
While its cool having single slots for everything and arguably more space, because the thumbnails on items are so small, they look like whatever the opposite of epic is, you need to have better images of the items so when I see them in the inventory I am in awe of them. Also the design of these thumbnails in general is pretty bland, you try putting a D3 Azurewwrath in that thumbnail.
Diablo 2 players want charms, this is something that I hated, I have a suggestion, charms are basically jewellery peices, you get 5 charm slots displayed abover the character on the character screen where charms can be equiped.

Skill Tree;
I loved the design of the inventory and skill tree from an art perspective, it’s really paying homage to Diablo & D2, thanks.
I liked the concept of by levelling skills they get new attributes, I think this will add a great deal of extra customization, like if at level 3 leap rather than further buffing damage it gains break, and maybe at level 5 it gets stun & damage boosts. I think I took this away from the panel, so maybe I need to get a break on one of my skills but don’t want to create the leap damage barb, I simply level to level 3 and two skill points are moved somewhere else, I think that’s what David Kim was alluding to and it sounds great.

The Itemisation;
This is a HUGE concern, Diablo 3’s itemization sucked, it sucked in Vanilla and it sucks now. If I could i’d still go back and play Vanilla with the current drop rates I think it’d be compltely playable. But “Smart loot” is not smart it’s actually really dumb.
If the itemization is just attack and defense that would be really sad, so please look into this and add more meaningful stats that have menaingful customization. Diablo 2 should be the baseline for items.

Difficulty and Diversity;
While the damage taken was low in the demo, I liked the difficulty especially that killing each monster wasn’t a cake walk like diablo 3, I think that should be a thing, no one wants damage scaling to be 10000% on anything and 700 monster kill streaks where most of what you kill is trash.
As long as you stay away from that 10000x damage scaling, then rare items can stay “relatively” relevant. Perhaps even allow +25% damage to skills on items and give that a break point of like 200%.

I’d also like if the damage buffs are smaller can make any skill relevant, as I really want to make that Druid wolf build, Druid looks amazing. I don’t want that Diablo 2 skeleton build that fails to scale. Diablo 3 didn’t get much right, but the pet build especially on the necro was awesome, the active management of pets was a great mechanic especially with scaling damage where each hit increase to a certain point to make them relevant.

From my understanding of watching various streams, even the D2 streamers said it doesn’t look like Diablo 3 when playing it, so I am more hopeful. Sure its isometric and 3d, the skills are animated at high quality but that’s where the simlarities end.

There is two player couch co-op, this means you can both play on the same screen together. It’s like Diablo 3 on console.

Do you normally play Diablo 3 with all stats on screen?

I’m curious because I play with everything minimalised, I don’t have damage numbrs or anything after I have my build is complete, perhaps it’s the minimalist vs maximalist view because I have heard both opions alot, I love the bar moved to the left as it makes more of the screen viewable and in my eyes makes the game seem more immersive.

They should definitely add a toggle option.

So far so good.

Awesome cinematic, oldish graphics, darker and bloodier atmosphere, promising gameplay/build customization, runewords (even though I’d like to see some D2 runewords type). Just not a big fan of the MMO stuff but I’m hoping it won’t affect too much end game if not played a lot/at all.

One thing though, about the atmosphere and casual/hardcore gamers thread. I recently started playing Metro 2033. At the beginning, you have to chose between several difficulty levels, one of which is kind of a more immersive version : almost no HUD, smaller inventory, etc. I found the idea awesome, since the game is meant to be immersive, and it does work perfectly.

What if you would something similar in D4 ? Some kind of survivor experience.

Or just letting people play with settings, for example :

• Enable/disable damage numbers
  • Adjust light radius from 1 to 100
  • Enable/disable highlighting enemies when pointing them with cursor
  • Detailed or minimalist HUD (just life/mana/minimap for expl)
  • Adjust spells brightness from 1 to 100
  • Enable/disable quests’ tips
  • Etc…

TBH, my “scariest” gaming experience was Diablo 1, for several reasons :

• you never see where the enemy is coming/shooting from (kinda the same stuff with ballista’s skeletons)
  • you see nothing in early game (light radius) and you generally HEAR enemies before SEEING them (much scarier that way)
  • you walk slower than enemies (for the most part)
  • you never know what you’re going to fall into

To resume : the less knowledge and the less senses you feel from what’s coming to you, the more terrified you are. And this is something we want, at least for HC gamers.

Like you said at D4 presentation, that feeling who everyone had meeting The Butcher for the time in D1 was so thrilling. Because you don’t KNOW what is in that door before opening it up. And THAT’s scary. THAT’s what we want from a game pretending to be bloody/dark/scary.

Of course, I acknowledge that people who will play D4 will be both some good old Diablo fans from D1/D2 (who 99% disliked/hated D3 for the WoWish aspect) and others that really enjoyed D3 for some reasons. So you can’t make the game one way or another, you have to make decisions, disappoint some. But letting the opportunity to chose the atmosphere ppl want to play in would be, I think, a good compromise.

PS : please bring back Javazon. Or some kind of melee/ranged character depending on the build you’re going for.

PS2 : make rare items, with really unlikely affixes, better than legs/sets. Some items in D2 were in that case and they were the most expensive ones. I found it really cool to see a top tier item possessed by just a bunch of people. Not OP but just above best legs/sets.

4 Likes

Diablo 4 looks good but I wonder if goblins will be in d4 and if gems are going to be like they were in d2? And if attack potions are going to be in d4 like in d2 and I hope greyhallow island and the ruins of sescheron and leorics manner are going to be in d4 because those where my favorite areas to play in love the way this going so excited :grinning:

I forgot to mention something in my first post,

But what was so incredibly good in Diablo 2 was the feeling to play a SINGLE-player game that was also playable in a multiplayer mod (aka online).
The multiplayer aspect was just a “plus”, a bonus enjoyable by everyone as they wish, but not necessarily forced to.
I really think this is something to consider in your development of Diablo IV instead of being fully against a single player mod.

In Diablo 2 the online mod was then seen like an extra game where all the things I was doing by myself, alone, a few moment ago, were suddenly doable with others people, friends, or unknown people.

To me it seems much more entertaining than having to do things that require (or is designed to) to be with other people. At the end, even if the game was fully playable alone most of the players ended up going online just to enjoy the game with others. And the whole experience remained the same, things were just slightly easier and faster (but also more funny, in a way), obviously.

1 Like

here’s my suggestions… obviously some people may disagree with me…

-rogue with both ranged & dual wield melee - can use bow/xbow/throwing + stabbing/slashing 1h weapons seamlessly… still 1 less item slot than barbs.
-templar with lance & 1h/shield - charge, zeal, blessed hammer, auras

i’m normally a pet class person but if there’s only 2 more classes on launch, these would round out the archetypes best with the things i miss most from d2. the druid will have to suffice for now.

-followers were well done in d3… allow them for solo play.

-make respec’ing talents cost a LOT a LOT of gold… or require an obnoxious collection of drops for a ritual… better to re-roll a new character for the sake of identity (and keeping low level items or crafting materials relevant) rather than having 1 of each class and collecting different sets of gear to just change who you are as a person with what you wear. but it’s still useful to have ways to fix mistakes in your talent trees

-allow for atypical builds… one of the things that made d2 great and kept me interested was making characters like the shout barb or the enchant sorc… i understand why it doesn’t fulfill class fantasy for a barb to dual wield necro wands but it kept things a lot more interesting for me… i’m the kind of player that tries to make a non-ranged DH… is that so wrong?

-keep rares competitive for stats, and only use legendaries for specific legendary powers… and don’t make any legendaries that both have no special power and also have more affixes than the rares… so if we don’t have a build-defining legendary in every slot, we can still care about the other things that drop. in d2, people occasionally even kept blue amulets with +3 skills for certain builds… it made loot far more interesting to have options and real choices rather than just a slightly higher or lower stat of the 1-2 items that must be in that slot. if nothing else, make certain affixes sell for a lot so picking up certain blues/yellows actually matters rather than just being worthless.

-don’t create build-oriented items for nearly every slot. it makes it so there’s only 1 combination of gear, limiting diversity dramatically…

-make blues/yellows infinitely tradeable (and remember, occasionally useful)… legendaries/sets infinitely tradeable with party members for a set duration after it drops and then only once (to anyone) thereafter, and mythic untradeable.

-the reason why identifying blues/yellows is pointless in d3 is because the items themselves are pointless in d3. hauling items back to town to identify them is still interesting if there’s a chance you might get one that you’ll actually keep. i don’t at all mind having scrolls to identify in a dungeon to decide if i want to take up inventory space or not… but if i’m definitely keeping it because i’m going to salvage it (or if i’m definitely not picking it up no matter what anyway), it won’t matter. not sure how crafting/salvaging will work, but i think it would be best if there were reasons you would want to pick up some items and not others… in d3, you always pick up stuff to salvage or you always ignore anything that isn’t a legendary. you don’t actually care what it is.

differences from d3 i really appreciate: different objectives in dungeons rather than only kill elite packs quickly, variety in monster density (no longer a problem with new dungeon objectives), families and synergistic behaviors, progressive increases in quality of endgame items rather than the droprate of items in the hopes that you’ll eventually find one of higher quality than the last one, skill ranks with +skill affixes, the return of magic find (but not a the cost of power), the return of increased attack (and cast?) speed, the return of support builds, and allowing legendary affixes to include other classes’ skills.

things from d3 i’m glad we’re keeping: treasure goblins, elite packs with affixes, health orbs with potion cooldown, resource and cooldown management systems, crafting (assuming the rest of the itemization doesn’t render it pointless), shared stash, pet abilities that summon and command when pressed again, town portal on a button

things i’m not very excited about but understand why they’re there:

1. having to choose 1 of a selection of spells within each of 6 categories. if i want teleport for travel, i can’t have another desired defensive? what if i want to make a druid with vines, birds, and wolves? is it too overpowered? or is it just a side effect of wanting people to only choose 1 ultimate? perhaps buttons 1, 2, 3 can allow for any combination from those 3 sections… and you still are locked into choosing a primary, secondary, and ultimate?
  2. infinite dungeon difficulty progression (if there are no real distinct tiers of content, there’s no clear mark for what is “viable” and what isn’t… and saying a build is “viable for beating the campaign” isn’t exciting… there needs to be a distinction between the majority endgame and the minority endgame so that builds can complete the majority endgame can be considered viable. a smooth progression won’t allow for anything but the best… there should be a clear maximum end game degree of difficulty where a very diverse set of builds can be viable, and then people can push the infinitely progressive challenges for marginal improvements from there… in d3, it felt more like there were only 4 or so viable builds per class for beating what was considered trivial endgame content, and only 1-2 viable builds per class for the real end-game content, and then maybe only a couple viable builds out of all classes to really push the hardest stuff… hopefully having diverse dungeon objectives will allow for different builds to be more and less viable for different types of gameplay…
  3. talent trees are cool, but not sure how interesting the choices are. it’ll depend on how many points you can allocate, but if everyone definitely gets the final ability at the bottom of a tree branch, how much actual choice is there?
  4. i know rune words aren’t fleshed out yet, but the reason why it was important for us to have mythic-level runeword items in d2 was because you could build up to them over time. finding the runes to put together a big runeword would be better than just waiting for a whole complete item to drop with a massively lower droprate. it allows for more decision making on whether to hold onto them or use them for a lesser runeword or use the runes for one character or the other… perhaps the highest runes could be soulbound and used for mythic items.
4 Likes

I’m looking forward to a Diablo 4 forum where we can help give feedback. For now I’ll add my voice here. Been a fan since Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction. The Diablo 4 cinematic and gameplay trailers look so great and promising!

My main criticism so far is that there seems to be almost too much focus on the theme of “darkness”. I think dark and gritty needs to be balanced with realism and believability. In other words, the world (Sanctuary) can’t just be an inhospitable wasteland. There must be villages, towns, and cities that have some kind of security to chaos. I’ve seen it stated that there are villages, towns, cities, and religions and factions, so I’m not too worried yet. I do hope and assume there will be plenty of world building and background lore involving human factions and kingdoms. I’m thinking (aesthetically) Braveheart, Vikings, and Kingdom of Heaven, in terms of towns, villages and cities, factions, nations and tribes.

I think it’s also safe to hope for all 7 prime evils to feature in this game. They’re so important to the overall lore. And the game just feels incomplete if any of them will be missing. Diablo 3 seemed to feel lackluster knowing Mephisto, Baal, Andariel, and Duriel would be missing from the beginning. Pretty sure I saw Duriel for a couple seconds in the gameplay trailer :smiley:

I’d also like to say that Diablo 3 wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t great, but it wasn’t terrible. You can add a tiny tiny bit of the charm from that game to Diablo 4, ie, good people in said factions, kingdoms, tribes, towns, villages, etc. It looks like you might be doing that with the man speaking in the gameplay trailer, who I assume is a Horadrum speaking at the grave of Deckard. If you don’t like the term charm, then I’d recommend, like I said, believable and realism balanced with darkness.

Also, I’m a Diablo 2 druid fan, so you can say I’m extremely hyped and happy to see the druid return. Some nitpicking concerns (and I know the game is a work in progress, but just to add my voice to I assume others) the wolf animations seem stiff, a little unnatural, and too orderly (the way they walk in unison side by side). I’d say let them wander, like in Diablo 2. Not too far from the druid but a little bit. And the werebear looks awkward or silly on two legs. I’d say put him on all fours and have him on two legs when fighting. And maybe give the werewolf a tail (like the Skyrim werewolf) I think that would look a little better.

Again, overall everything looks so great. Thanks Blizzard!

PS. Tell the Heroes of the Storm people to put the druid in their game already, please and thank you!

2 Likes

In one of the streams I watched, a player chased down and killed a Treasure Goblin. I don’t remember if it was Bluddshed’s or Quin69’s. In a conversation between Lead Systems Designer, David Kim, and Rhykker, David confirmed there will be Goblins.

1 Like

Hi from Germany!

I’m looking forward to the game.

I hope that this game will again be more for the hardcore gamer than for the casual. This game genre thrives on its difficulty, sophistication, and complexity. Therefore, I hope for an even deeper character development, which consistently maintains the player’s decision and ensures diversity between the individual characters of all players. If necessary, offer the possibility to redistribute the skill points at some points of the story (e.g. 3 times during the whole story) and after finishing the story retain the character as a complete work, which has decided the victory over evil with all its skillful abilities etc. (Otherwise possibly only over real money or the leveling of a new character).

Plus an item system that, unlike in D3, has a much lower droprate to emphasize the peculiarity of legendary items. After all, it’s no shame to explore the world of Diablo with rare (yellow) items, and after a lot of work, time, and bloodshed, to find the one special piece by chance that in principle prevails over the majority of rare items.

These are the mechanics in the game, which gave me this unique experience, which before hardly any game could offer me. Wish me this united in one game, Diablo 4 !

3 Likes

I miss the unrestricted trade and the INGAME auction house (without real money). I’d love it if it could find its way back.

The attack n defense i agree with Mr. Llama thoughts on this. Remember most people playing Diablo are adults we like challenges it is what makes the rewards that much sweeter. The attack n defense is very D3. Great job though so far