Diablo 4 will flop without endgame economies and trading

It should be fairly obvious at this point that we’re going to be let down if we’re looking for a true successor to this franchises golden age. The economic factors of a publicly traded company ensure this in multiple ways, compounded by Blizzards general lack of innovation since the golden age. Share holders want revenue and increase earnings per share… they don’t care about the games and likely don’t play them (the big share holders)

That’s why I’m begging blizzard to build the economy into this game. Take some off the top. If I have to grind out gear in this next game the way we do in diablo 3 It’s a non starter and more evidence Blizzard has completely lost touch with what made it the best game publisher of the 90s and 2000s.

Study the existing Diablo 2 economy, study jsp, that’s the answer to your cash worries blizzard. Please dont deliver another game with no personality and no plan to improve or maintain over the 10 years that follow.

Take the time now to build compelling mechanics that drive trade as much as end game bosses/events.

32 Likes

So, your argument about having unrestricted trade in D4 is to mention a website that’s been dedicated to facilitating third-party trading of D2 items for real world cash for over a decade?

22 Likes

I flat out won’t buy it without open trading. I learned my lesson with Diablo 3

18 Likes

More server space for the rest of use.

13 Likes

No thanks. Really. That would be horrible.
Vanilla D3 all over again.

Do not allow trading.

21 Likes

Why is server space a concern when D3 can’t even match the average player count of D2 on battlenet?

8 Likes

How about this, you get your gear from playing the game and killing demons, not by having others give it to you.

32 Likes

Nobody wants an auction house. The reason the social aspect of D3 is basically non-existent compared to D2 is because they killed trading which was fundamental to player interactions

5 Likes

Because it’s a multiplayer game.

5 Likes

As in, people playing together to kill monsters and take their loot.
Not free handouts of gear for everyone.

Sounds like OP want something fairly close to it.

But even without a Blizzard-approved AH, the result is the same. You end up with poe.trade, jsp etc. instead. You cant exactly close down the internet. Player-made AHs will appear.

5 Likes

The vast majority of D2 players never even considered using those third party sites and probably didn’t know such things exist. Sure there are a few, but nowhere near enough to act like it’s a game breaking issue where the “fix” is 10x worse than the “problem”. Blizzard could always just put effort into bot prevention and ban characters that are associated with the sites. If private D2 servers can successfully stop botting, I’m sure a billion dollar game developer could do it as well

2 Likes

Good cause OPEN trade means 3rd party sites which means Garbage

7 Likes

poe.trade and jsp has nothing to do with botting afaik.

Blizzard cant exactly ban people for using websites.

Diablo 2 is an old game, the internet has changed. A new Diablo with trading would end up like PoE.

1 Like

How can anyone NOT know of it if they ever played a public game? They would bounce in, spam your whole screen, and bounce out. A minute later, another would show up.

4 Likes

I see you made an account to post yesterday and have no profile. I guess you missed all the other posts that the ONLY one who knows the player base of D3 is Blizzard. You don’t have that info, nor does anyone else.

Everyone here knows that.

8 Likes

How do you think those companies GET their items to trade? Botting up a storm. Either in a private game, or in a public game with other bots.

1 Like

There’s really no need to over exaggerate the impact of third party websites to the game enjoyment for the vast majority of players.

2 Likes

And another sweeping statement not backed by any factual data. You have no idea what the majority of players liked. You don’t have that data, nor does anyone here. You are making empty assertions.

6 Likes

poe.trade and jsp are not companies who sell items (well, maybe they also do that). They merely facilitate trade.
Are some of the traders botters? Sure. But a bunch of them are normal players, who might or might not have used bots.

1 Like

No more empty than “open trade equals third party sites so the game is automatically garbage”. Show me the numbers on the percentage of d2 players that bought off a third party website since everyone here claims it ruined the game

2 Likes