[Diablo 4] WASD Movement?

Just for clarification, I’m not asking for them to remove click-movement, but rather for there to be an option.

Has there been any confirmation on whether there will be WASD movement as an option? After playing things like MXM and Battlerite, I’ve come to prefer the flexibility WASD offers for combat, so I hope they add it to D4, again, as an option.

10 Likes

Not against options but personally, I would find WASD awkward for an isometric game.

14 Likes

Considering D4 will have controller support on PC, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to have WASD-movement as an option as well.

5 Likes

I’d find it awkward too. But seems fine as an option, especially when there is also controller support.

2 Likes

It works really well actually. For example, Hades

2 Likes

And some MK-style fatalities like

• Back, Down, Back
  • Back, Forward, Back, Back
  • Forward, Forward, Forward, Down

-)

1 Like

I don’t see why it can’t be implemented, especially if it’s optional.

2 Likes

I agree that, for a isometric Game is not optimal. But I like to lay down on my bed to play with my laptop, so yeah WASD is the solution if I want to play those games in my bed

1 Like

As someone who’s played a TON of wasd games wouldn’t mind, but at that point i’s obvious that a click-to-move option becomes inferior

ALSO the whole keyboard layout changes, instead of keys like Q, 1,2,3, R, T and so on, keys like J, K, L, B, N, M, O, P become more relevant (for 2-handed gameplay of both simultaneous movement and actions), or maybe even C and V but those would probably be something like a gear or consume swap

So yes, don’t mind it personally, in fact I think would thrive under it, but the gameplay would kinda feel different/awkward for those that aren’t used to though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that’s the biggest thing. It sounds weird for those here who haven’t tried it. I actually have played WASD isometric before and it feels WAY better. Like I said above, Battlerite and MXM both had those movement schemes and being able to strafe and such while attacking felt glorious, plus you don’t have to concern yourself so much with force-move versus accidentally attacking. Your movement becomes centralized, which is good. The only argument I do agree where it falls short is that you have 8 movement directions versus “infinite” but the pros greatly outweigh that con for me.

1 Like

I’ve tried it in similar games (like Maplestory 2), and I didn’t enjoy wsad; as a controller or mouse worked better imo. So as long as it’s optional, I wouldn’t mind Diablo 4 having wsad support; however if we’re talking about changing the main control to wsad; then I’d have to disagree there.

1 Like

I would use WASD for sure. Holding down 1 button for movement all day makes my hand hurt if I play too long.
I would also swap skill 1 away from left click if possible, to have separate keybinds for looting and primary attacks.

Even better would be holding a controller in your left hand for movement and 2-3 skills, with a mouse in your right hand for the pc aim.

3 Likes

I removed Hades from my system after 30 mins of gameplay due to WASD. I have never played a game with worse feeling movement. That being said, if D4 had the option, it would not bother me, as long as mouse click was the default.

edit: I prefer WASD for FPS, but for isometric, I can’t stand it.

2 Likes

If controller support, I really hope they do something like that or else with controller, you need to use it to “turn” to a direction then “move” to the direction. Pretty clumsy if you ask me.
Plus I really hope now they advance the combat, so you could like dodge big attacks, not just “walk out of the NPS that is casting to a direction like a blind zombi”.

The more I think about it, the more this gameplay feels very outdated in 2022. They have to advance the mouse to move system or it just not really a “new” diablo game. I mean, you can add new graphics but… I’m still okay to play D3 from time to time, I don’t feel the need to pay for a new Diablo X with same features just looks nices. :frowning:

So I really hope the game evolves more, not just graphics and gear change and skills. But this is honestly far fetched expectations, I … I lost hope I guess? :frowning:

If a controller can be used, and it has been stated it can, then I plan to use a Power Pad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Pad

Read that as D3. I would expect was or arrow movement in D4 since there is controller support.

I hope they have the option for both. With melee I’d like to play classic click to move but with ranged class I’d like to use movement buttons to allow for moving while attacking in the other direction. Ideally you would be able to seamlessly transition between the two ie. you would not have to open the menu and change settings.

Either WASD or being able to reallocate movement from Left mouse button to another button would be great for reducing strain on hands.

Would be bad if mouse movement wasnt available.
But it would be okay to have an alternative WASD movement of course.

I would worry about having to make the game work with multiple control schemes however. There is a real risk of ending up with a worse game because of it. Due to having to design stuff that works well with all of them. Same issue as with controllers too.

I have been playing some DI and I couldn’t play without WASD input anymore. Click to move feels outdated to me. I might consider not playing D4 if there is no WASD option.

3 Likes