[Diablo 4] WASD Movement?

The thing people seem to forget is that controllers are analog and make movement feel much smoother. Keyboard is digital and the movement feels clunky in an isometric environment.

I for one prefer click to move/attack and I use NUMPAD keys for my extra skills.

you can WASD in D3 and D2, i dont get it.

If you’re having issues with any game and want WASD movement, you can set it up with a logitech G13 gamepad pretty easily. Even has thumbstick support for movement if you like that.

i am not sponsored, i say this for free.

guys, evolve. we’re future gamers here. get a gamepad, i prefer logitech g13, but razor has some good ones too.

Agreed. Contollers are even starting to become antiquated now with how many ARPGs are using WASD movement now. 30 years is long enough, time for Blizzard to accept the industry has moved on from click-to-move. WASD movement in D4 is mandatory.

Except that Logitech no longer supports the G13 and no longer sells them. The only way to get one is at ridiculous prices from 3rd party resellers. G13 for a long time was the only pad I ever used, until the point I was no longer able to buy them from Logitech anymore. At that point I was forced to go with Razer products instead.

1 Like

dang. Nostromo52 was my first, guess i’ll have to go with razer down the road. Swifty!

It was sad for me too, I had to completely recreate all my game profiles as they don’t convert over from Logitech to Razer devices. I was dedicated to the G13 for many years but they tend to wear out quickly with my level of use and Logitech had stopped selling them the last time I went for a replacement.

1 Like

KB+M WASD is actually superior to just Mouse move+aim. It allows you to aim and attack while moving in completley different directions without the character stopping, rather than Diablo 1-3’s dated system where they conflict. If you had 2 people of the same skill PVP one with each setup, the WASD + Mouse would win every single time (if Diablo 4 allows WASD movement and pure mouse aiming).

It’s pretty much the best of both worlds of mouse vs controller. You get controller’s ability to move while attacking but mouse’s extreme speed and accuracy. The only thing better would be to use controller’s joystick to move with greater accuracy than KB with left hand and use mouse in right hand.

1 Like

I consider mouse movement superior. But completely fine to offer both, as long as it does not result in reduced gameplay quality for both. Which is a risk however.

1 Like

I’ve played a few isometric games that had wsad movement rather than controller, and I hated it. So again, if it’s optional then by all means implement it. However if we’re talking about having either one or the other; I’ll always choose mouse movement over wsad movement every time.

1 Like

With controller support, I would be surprised if it either wasn’t an option or you couldn’t remap movement controls.

Only if you hotkey an force move button. Controller avoids having to use that and the interacting with enemies when the cursor passes through.

Left mouse (or whatever you bind it to, of course) should just be force move imo. Having skills forced bound to both mousebuttons in D3 was annoying.

why would you want even an option for 4 or 8 directional movement? if that is a thing, id thather use the dedicated arrow keys explicitly designed for this function. WASD is just garbage, and awkward as hell, and it overrides the other ways these keys would be used for.

No. Leave it the way it is. I’m a left handed gamer. Right hand on mouse left hand on arrow cursor keys too move. How do I use my NUMPAD to fire off skills. It is incredibly uncomfortable too play this way. I just refunded Weird West for this issue. Using a gamepad made aiming imprecise And using keyboard and mouse made using skills a chore.

K.I.S.S. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. We don’t need to reinvent the wheel for D4.

Also it would be interesting to see statistics, how much better WASD players perform, than click-to-move. Obviously they will have an advantage, but would be fun to see how large the difference will.

Ye, that’s super inconvenient. But you can use autohotkey script like the one below for rebinding left-click to force move and any other key to use the skill, binded to left-click:

#IfWinActive, Diablo III
{
LButton::w
MButton::LButton
e::LButton
$s::
Send, {e down}
Send, {LButton}
Send, {e up}
return
}

Have to use middle-button for “left-clicking” on menu then, but it’s totally worst it.

1 Like

I think it would be cool to have in the game.

If controller has it it could be an advantage in pvp now that Diablo is cross platform.

Being able to move in one direction while simultaneously being able to aim and fire in the other does seem like an advantage to me

As opposed to only being able to click to move in the opposite direction and every time you want to fire in the other, having to stand still if that direction is not favourable for you to move in.

I see no reason for this not to be included. I still want to use my mouse for inventory management so switching to controller isn’t an option.

I would likely still play with mouse click to move for pve but pvp against pad users that are able to use wasd style movement while shooting seems unfair if we don’t at least have this option as well. It’s bad enough we have to play cross platform if this does end up being a major advantage.

Please include this option Blizz.

I’d be very surprised if WASD movement wasn’t included. It’s become an industry standard for isometric ARPGs. Gives more depth to movement dynamics.

I think it’s unlikely about pve :slight_smile: Because playing pve with wasd is much more relaxing, you don’t need race your mouse, just chilly point it at monsters.