Diablo 4 rune words

It’s already going to be vastly different. The rune system I doubt is going to be a copy of D2s. We can just add more sockets and links. Could be similar to PoE in that regard where you could have 6 sockes but only 3 links so you would have 3 total runewords. or you could have a 6 link chain and have one long runeword, and everything in between.

When you freeze an enemy activate the next socketed rune–>When active, reduce a random skills CD by 10%.

So lets add a third socked and a skill modifier.

When you freeze an enemy activate the next socketed rune–>When active, reduce a random skills CD by 10% and activates the next socketed rune–>When active, the skill that had it’s CD reduced has 0 resource cost the next time it’s used.

Adding a fourth link to the chain.

When you freeze an enemy activate the next socketed rune–>When active, reduce a random skills CD by 10% and activates the next socketed rune–>When active, the skill that had it’s CD reduced has 0 resource cost the next time it’s used and activates the next rune–>After using the skill that costs 0 resources, your movement speed is increased by 10% for 10 seconds.

And so on. That is far more interesting IMO.

3 Likes

Which had nothing to do with the lack of a Runeword system.

Anyone who thinks this… is a fool.

Was D3 a groundbreaking ARPG like it’s predecessor? No. But I can’t deny it’s gotten better and is a good game. It’s just not among the all time greats, and that’s okay.

D2 fanatics are simply unable to appreciate D3 for what it is.

No, rude is saying that everyone who likes D3 is a child like you did.

*Moot. Mute means silence.

Eh. That’s on Blizzard to make a system where we want more than 2-3 combos. D3 is about damage damage damage, so that’s mostly what we use for gems and legendary gems. Hopefully, the same won’t be true in D4. It’ll go a long way if they can keep stats from becoming overblown the way Crit Chance and Crit Damage are in D3.

Oh, really? What exactly would you want in your body armor aside from Enigma, assuming you had it?

And PvP combinations especially were rather static, as pointed out by Oblivion.

2 Likes

D2 runewords were just a cheat code, D4 runewords are a system (a proper one), albeit rudimentary developed it doesn’t have “BS” like the one in D2 had

I have these 5 runes let’s see what I can create, Ith, Mal, Ort, aw screw it, wasted, had to use Ort-Mal-Ith (or whatever)… Like, it wasn’t a “system” that you chose what you get, it was a hit or miss based upon literal content (and order), and had almost zero flexibility of rewarding and impact (for example using 2 Ral and 1 perfect Ruby giving you +250 fire damage per hit or whatever), there was NONE of that, just pre-written “safe combinations” and that’s all, i.e. there wasn’t a “theme” that you can build upon, it was rather like that “theme” being already “prebuilt” for you

At least that BS in D4 system is gone (or at least hope so)… If they can only make it so that there can be more versatility that would be great but already digging it more (at least on paper) tbh…

Simply put - knowing the “secret” isn’t knowledge, and that’s exactly what D2 runewords were, Secrets, almost to the point (if not completely) of being bunch of cheat-codes

2 Likes

Was there ever any doubt about Activision’s complete take over of Blizzard? Did you ever wonder why a company that was making tons of money at the time would sell? The promises made concerning Shadowlands brought a lot of players back. They have since left. Still, the remaining 11.5 million subscribers x $15 per month is a lot of money annually (2.27 billion dollars). With all the b**ching and moaning about Blizzard, we are all still here. Like in the military, maybe Blizzard should start to worry when no one complains about anything. That usually means things are really FUBAR.

Blizzard never sold themselves. They were always owned by someone who sold them to Vivendi, who acquired Activision and merged Blizzard and Activision together. The holding company, ActivisionBlizzard bought themselves out from under Vivendi.

1 Like

Technically they sold themselves to Davidson & Associates in the early 90s, who was over time acquired by various other companies, ending up at Vivendi.

This whole chain of events is both funny and sad at the same time :smiley:

Blizzard Entertainment has changed hands several times since then. Davidson was acquired along with Sierra On-Line by a company called CUC International in 1996. CUC then merged with a hotel, real-estate, and car-rental franchiser called HFS Corporation to form Cendant in 1997. In 1998 it became apparent that CUC had engaged in accounting fraud for years before the merger. Cendant’s stock lost 80% of its value over the next six months in the ensuing widely discussed accounting scandal. The company sold its consumer software operations, Sierra On-line (which included Blizzard) to French publisher Havas in 1998, the same year Havas was purchased by Vivendi. Blizzard was part of the Vivendi Games group of Vivendi.

That moment where your video game company ends up being partly owned by a car-rental company…
In that comparison, Activision is heaven.

1 Like

Just when you think you have seen it all another one comes along. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

More like 15m in 2012.
On Mac/PC alone.

Unofficial numbers. I would venture if that were the case Blizzard would have made an announcement that a 12 YO game surpassed 15M units sold.

esp given the fact, than norm even a MMO with more than 10-20k people playing it constantly, is viewed as a huge success !

maybe they are all blinded by wow with its once 12m players
but normaly, even with 300k sold copies, a game is in a good spot.
just look at the beginning of wow
the monthly costs and servers where layed out for 400k players, wich would have even rivaled the king of the ganre - everquest

I don’t really care for the Diablo 2 rune words. That is why I play classic a lot more than the expansion. They way Diablo 4 has shown rune words so far is neat but definitely needs to be expanded upon.

Official numbers, you just have to do the math.
24.8m all Diablo games sold 30th may 2012.
2.5m Diablo 1 mid-2001. Probably didn’t sell much after that (we may discuss D1 sales, that’s a whole topic).
6.3m Diablo 3 in a week (probably over 7m at the end of may).

That leaves something like 14-15m units for D2.

What’s sure is nobody can honestly compare what D2 sold in one year on PC, at a time when sales were much slower, with what D3 sold in over 5 years on 4 different platforms.

1 Like

Are you talking about sales or over Key generated accounts ?

Sales.
20 characters

And I´m sure you dont mean the 4€ Boxes, that include 6 other Games, right ?

I don’t mean anything, I’m reporting an official number given by Blizzard.

1 Like

naaa

you just trying to get some :cheese: to your :wine_glass:
D 2 was def. something new and special at its time, even though the grafik was as bad as some other games 10 years before.

but it was new and was something on its own at that time.
even compared to gothic from back in 2001, it was special.
but it wasn´t as well recived, till the addon with lod

lod was the great gamechanger, that put this game ahead of everything on the market, even though the grafik was outdated and looked weired since release.

Well I’m sure LoD improved a lot on D2 and is one of the reasons it has such longevity.

What’s your point about the sales btw ?

Ah, interesting numbers. That sounds much more likely yeah.
Although dishonest companies sometimes count expansions as separate sales, so that could change things.

Debatable, but also irrelevant for the sales. A LoD sale automatically requires a base game sale.

1 Like

Yes, sadly that’s a common behaviour. Same for D3 or SC1 numbers.