Diablo 4 rune words

Not at all. If there are only 2 runes, we basically get D3 “legendary gems”.
If it is possible to put more than 2 runes, we’ll get those combos POE has. I wouldn’t say it is good, at least, I didn’t like this feature there. In any case, it all will boil down to 2-3 best combos everyone will use. So I’m very pessimistic here.

D2 runewords is that it is just crafting.

No. It is much more than crafting.

I actually agree that the runeword system in Diablo 4 can be expanded, but I wouldn’t say it would need to go the route that Diablo 2 went.

It was a foolish decision not to make D2 rune system return. As it is super successful and popular. If they wanted cause/effects mechanics so much, they could make something new, some new items for that. Or use D2 jewels. Really strange decision.

6 Likes

There should definitely be more than 2 sockets, imo up to 3-4 in rares/legendaries, up to 2 in uniques.

Sounds good.

Only if Blizzard is bad. Which is a strong argument for sure. But if that should be the
argument they might as well cancel D4 already.
We can only hope they dont fail.

It is literally crafting.

1 Like

No. Everyone uses same 2-3 best combos in PoE too. There’s not much variety in this system. Just an illusion of endless combos, while 2-3 used by everyone in reality.

It is literally crafting.

It shares same mechanics with crafting, but it is much more. At least if we are talking about D2,D3 crafting (which is very primitive).

3 Likes

^

Agree. D2 runeword system has a solid foundation, and its something that can simply be expanded upon but still used or combined in some way. D4 should have more than 2 sockets if they use the cause/effect dynamic too.

4 Likes

Imo, any runeword system would likely result in a few runeword combinations being better than the rest, regardless if they’re unique items 2.0 (Diablo 2 runeword system) or cause and effect bonuses (Diablo 4 planned system). Neither systems is going to prevent that. I mean if Diablo 4 opts to instead go for the Diablo 2 version of runewords and expand upon it, I’d be okay with that. On the other hand, if they decide to expand on their current planned runeword system for Diablo 4, then I’d probably be more pysched for that as that seems more interesting to me than Diablo 2 version.

4 Likes

Excellent post!

Good idea; I was concerned the runes do not scale in Diablo 4. Why do I want an 100 HP shield at max level? Are higher level monsters going to drop higher level, more potent runes? The initial implementation didn’t look too promising.

What year are you living in? How are you posting this without the internet? We live in the Information Age. Hint. Hint.

I think a more logical system is better. If X happens, then Y happens. That’s a lot more intuitive then combining Tal Thul Ort Amn by trial and error.

That’s a stretch, for now. But the D4 Runeword system was in it’s infancy. And some D2 runewords were just outright nonsensical. I think it just needs some polish and iteration.

As said in my first post, it is the concept that seems good. If what they have shown is literally all they have; max 2 sockets with cause → effect, and no imagination on what runes can do, then it is no good.

More sockets, a “power” rune type to make us able to chose between “quality” and “quantity”, and interesting causes/effects and it could be a winner imo.

1 Like

In D2 people use all kinds of runewords depending on their build and character. This is why D2 system is so highly praised. Arguably it is the best game feature D2 has.

2 Likes

I would probably agree it was the most popular feature, mostly due to runeword power levels. I would probably disagree it was the best feature. When I played, back in 1.08/1.09, I think I found ONE ohm rune in thousands of cow runs - and it was stolen by a low level leech with pickit.

The "best" system that does not make. I think Diablo 2's best system was it's quests or waypoint system.

I might be mistaken did they not say that the rune system would have 100s or runes. We could make any combination of two (runeword) and they would become more powerful as we level? They really need to elaborate on this more.

Most folks I had played with or against (in pvp) used similar runeword combinations, for example most spellcaster builds used spirit shield and hoto, while most melee builds used either grief or botd. Sure you had a few outliers depending on the build (like chain of honor, bramble, and/or fortitude for example), but for the most part, I usually saw the previously mentioned runewords. So I don’t see how Diablo 2 version of runewords would see more variety than Diablo 4’s planned runewords.

There’s just so much we don’t know regarding the system.

This soo much. Thus far we haven’t had an update to runewords since Blizzcon 2019 (as far as I’m aware of at least).

1 Like

None is forcing you to be a meta slave
People are also using the same runewords in D2
It doesn’t matter which system you have
People will pick the highest stats

People are using much more than 2-3 runewords in D2. This is what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

And people would be using more than 2 rune combinations in this system
The only difference is that you can build unique items on your own and you are not just having them handed to you like in any other game
It’s simply a system that multiplicates the amount of possible items by giving the players an effect sandbox
What’s being used is always the same thing
Meta slaves are using what’s meta and other people are having fun
Choose who you are

1 Like

Joa.
If you could not only upgrade them into a higher rank, but olso transmute them into another rune.
But by the Fact that we haven´t really seen anythink of this System, other than a Sidenote, shows that they weren´t even setteled by themself, how it shall work out in the End.

Just a note in this regard. While it would also be nice if you can upgrade runes to a higher rank, that is not an alternative to “power” runes. Upgrading runes offers no choice between more effects vs. more powerful effect, since you would always want to use upgraded runes.

Whereas Power rune would allow choices like:

Cause - Effect - Effect = When you spend 500 mana => Get 1000 shield & Get 50 dex for 10 seconds
vs.
Cause - Effect - Power = When you spend 500 mana => Get 1000 shield X 200% increased effect => Get 2000 Shield
or
Cause - Effect - Power = When you spend 500 mana => Get 50 dex for 10 seconds X 200% increased duration => Get 50 dex for 20 seconds

Yeah, that goes for much of what was shown or told at Blizzcon 2019. All talk about key dungeons etc too. where clearly just basic brainstorming ideas. Runes were a bit more than that of course, since they had bothered to make some graphics about it, but not much more. They might have removed the entire system again - that would sadly be very typical of Blizzard. “Too much depth, oh noes!”

It really looks more like “Rune Syllables” to me :joy:
As is now the D4 Rune system is pretty underwhelming imo.

In D2 Runewords were an awesome way to make white/gray items meaningful in the endgame content, while giving you a certain degree of control over the items you gain through crafting.

If you have a bunch of runes you can create different Runewords with them, depending on what character you are playing and what your current equip might be lacking.

They should have expended on that by creating even more options and maybe allowing slight variations.

Not that I am in favor of hacked / bugged items, but the Hybrid Runewords in D2 could be really interesting if implemented in a proper way :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Blizz is gonna launch D2R. That means that D4 doesn’t need D2 rune words. It doesn’t need a copy and paste rune word system. That is lazy design if they took that route.

I like the idea that they are trying something new. I am wanting to know more about rune words because they said that they are thinking about a progression system for rune words.

What you need D4 to be another pretty clone of D2. I thought that D2R would be more than enough for one like you. So why not wait till they reveal their rune word progression system before making a final judgement.

1 Like

Eh, if D2 runewords was a great system, there would be no problem in copying it.
Not everything need to be new and different.
Only make it new and different when you believe you can make it better. Which should certainly be possible in this specific case.

The problem is though that if you copy and paste too much then the game will lose its identity. It will become the same little Indian girl that wears a different skirt.

Also D2’s rune system was far from perfect. Just wait till the D4 devs release the info on rune word progression.