Diablo 4 Charm Concept - New Item Type

Challenge: Diablo 4 devs feel that charms (D2 inventory item) would cause inventory management issues.

Solution: add 4 Small bracelet slots into the UI that we can equip items similar to D2 charms in. With a small, yet separate UI insert (think something similar to ring slots), they will not take up inventory space and add a whole new set of items for us to find/use.

These bracelets can drop from random mobs with different charm affixes associated to them. For a visual reference, think of a magically imbued bracelet that provides specific runic powers to its wearer. The demons use them to harness power, once slain, we can use them for our own benefits.

To take it a step further, you could create unique outcomes based upon how these bracelets are stacked on your arm (think how rune words worked) - specific combos produce specific effects. Even if they were just visual, it would be a nice way to set ourselves apart (when four cursed bracelets are stacked you receive an eerie blood mist aura around your character, or with flame bracelets your character is lightly engulfed in flames, or… characters swords are covered in blood and inflict blood magic damage).

This would fit into the lore, be another way to modify spells, weapons, cosmetics or stats. The options are unlimited and could solve both The rune words and/or charm demand from the D2 community in a “new” way for D4.

13 Likes

A very nice idea.
If it’s okay, I would like to add something from myself.
In addition, there could be cursed talismans / charm containing what punishments we want to receive on death, e.g. you will lose level progres and / or drop gold and / or teleport you to a checkpoint in exchange for better finding gold or items. It can really be a lot of different punishments so that you could choose something for yourself. If you want it, cursed talismans can change a lot how you play the game, but if you don’t want it, you use normal talismans.
Sorry for my bad English.

4 Likes

That actually kind of contradicts their statement of “we won’t make this game similar to D3 or D2”. D3 had gameflow features taken from D2 in a twisted nature because that was the formula which worked in the end.
Many people (including me) gave feedback to them just to add charms in D3, in vain. Either they feared that loothunting would deter player or replace the GR grinding they cared about so much and system was set in stone already. Guess taking criticism of “too much D2” in the end was their limit; making it obvious stopped them.

Even if they add this out of jealousy, fan pressure or stunted creativity, they’ll re-name it to something else. So they can call it “we make it completely original”; but I’m not seeing that happening either. They watered down mechanics to the point of no return from what I have read. They’d refuse to make it “complicated” and that wouldn’t surprise me.

1 Like

Or they can bring back the scrapped Talisman and call it a new feature since the D3 version never saw the light of day.

But instead of permanent charms, it can hold special artifacts whose power gradually runs out. This way we get a short buff of various types (either a straight buff or a bonus to a skill or whatever, like a temporary legendary power), and we swap it with something else once its power is extinguished.

This way we make use of multiple artifacts instead of sticking only with one.

2 Likes

Charms in D2 were annoying because they took up inventory space (which was already pretty limited).

Once you give charms an inventory slot they’re really not different than any other equippable item. D3 already gave you two new inventory slots, and the Kanai cube gives you 3 more “inventory” slots. At this point it’s just wanting a slot for items called charms.

2 Likes

The problem in bringing back charms is not inv space, but power/balance issue. The more sources of power you add, the harder it is to balance. They said they could add charms if they feel they don’t have enough sources of power.

Then again, brining back charms as just more pure power source is a dull idea. If charms are back, I’d like to see some new mechanics behind them.

1 Like

I think Blizzard should just cut it open and let the charms come back. Charm inventories or bracelets defeat the whole purpose of charms. Charms need to come back at 1 or 0, no “charm inventories” that try to bring it back halfway. If Diablo 4 wants to be a good game it should have charms.

There needs to be a sacrifice to holding the charms otherwise it’s just finding them for the sake of finding them.

2 Likes

I like the idea a lot!

Just to be a little silly…I’d like a ‘friendship’ bracelet option that let you trade bracelet charms to people in your friends list :blush:

1 Like

This is funny. 20chars

l like the idea of reincorporating charms since it is another way to give build diversity. I was playing around with the idea in my head of how to make it somehow part of the gear or an equippable item to keep it out of the inventory and it looks like you have a pretty good start on something here. not sure I like the idea of how you are suggesting they drop but I do like the functionality idea.

1 Like

What matters is not having more power but a different way of getting it. Charms are not just another item slot, they are one or two-affixes items to help balance holes in your stats. Typically resistances because they have a cap of +75%. More of a mini-game that hoping for a perfect roll of 6 affixes on a rare.
If it did not amputate the inventory space, charms were a very good system. PoE had a smart way to implement a similar mechanic in their passive tree so why not D4 ?

2 Likes

That just sounds like gear with extra steps.

Charms were an interesting idea but I don’t think they ultimately worked, and I think that making a special inventory just for them basically turns them into another gear slot. Might as well just give us trinkets from WoW.

I really like that idea.
Makes them different from normal items.

Could maybe lose all the charms (or just make them lose more of their power) whenever you die.
Build in death penalty/survival bonus system.

I dont think they should give actual legendary powers (we are already going to have a LOT of legendary affixes on gear).
Give various bonuses to the character; resistances, Magic Find, etc. like the charms did. Since having temporary resistance bonuses would not be very useful (too unreliable, couldnt really optimize gear around it), maybe it could be small resistance bonuses that can go beyond the normal resistance cap (like 75% fire resist at cap, plus a 2% fire resist charm = 77% fire resist). If there is no resistance cap, D3 style, then it would work regardless of course.

3 Likes

The only thing I want is charms that are various sizes and sit in your inventory, I think all of these other ideas for charm substitutes frankly suck.

This is probably moot for me anyway though, the combat system looks identical to D3 so that probably means I’m out. I don’t want zoomed in 6 button arcade fest with resource regen skills. The zoomed in camera and 6 skill bar are a no go for me.

Diablo 4 needs to go back to Diablo 2 roots, not just talk about Diablo 2 and make the game darker and try to squeeze something out of itemization and call it “D2 Roots”. It truly needs to be a lot like Diablo 2: zoomed out, run/walk, blocking, faster, 8 players, optional skill bar, mana (i’m so sick of overly complicated resources that don’t add anything and make me have to use one of my skills to regen), no paragons, runewords, charms. These things are core to pretty important and as D4 is now I’m not excited.

1 Like

Then give it another name than charms. The name is unimportant.

Bad game design is bad game design. If you are willing to ignore your fanbase and what their needs and desires are, you are going to create a flop, hence Vanilla D3. They slowly added in schemes and mechanisms that fans suggested, and there were even leaks of charms etc… if they would have released a 2nd expansion.

The bottom line Blizzard needs to understand, you are only what your fans will make you. If you do not appeal to the fans, as a company you will fail! Does this mean you do exactly what they say, no. What it means is that if fans say they want something like charms, maybe you come up with something similar and creative yet innovative and which speaks more to your team of developers. They have tried this with their unique take on runes, and I applaud them for it. The system lacks that innovation we would want for true build decisions, but it is a work in progress, and our voices were heard.

Based on everything since the D4 announcement, I have faith this development team is going to try their best to balance our desires with their vision.

If D4 is not a D2 clone, the D2 fanboys do not want it. Some of them even want a charm to take up 3 spaces in the stash, immersion they call it, more like stupidity. It was stupid in D2.

2 Likes

Really? I’m not excited about innovation if it results in an inferior product. You can’t convince me that any rune system in Diablo is as good as the D2 rune system. You also can’t convince me that removing charms was positive innovation. I’d call it ego or naivety.

I’m not down for changing the best things about Diablo 2 for the sake of being different, especially if the replacement is nothing. The story of Diablo 3.

I would recommend you read my post again. I was saying they made mistakes in D3 that led to a lot of the issues and doubt present now.

But this D4 team appears to be willing to listen and adjust based on the direction their fans indicate.

Just use D3’s talisman system that Jay and company talked about. It could hold up to 13 1x1 charms. That should be enough to handle charms for D4.

3 Likes