Diablo 4 Charm Concept - New Item Type

Nah, they’ve been gathering feedback and ignoring since 2012. After they knew best with 60 they added paragons, that’s about the only time I can think of when community feedback altered a core system for Diablo. I’ve complained and been ignored since before D3 was released though I was very excited for D3 cause I thought it would all work out (now I’ve learned, if it looks sketchy it probably is).

1 Like

That was a D3 concept, the D2 fanboys will not like it. D4 needs to come up with something new to appease the masses. No mater what they devise some elitists will complain about it.

I can attest. D4 doesn’t need to come up with something new, just use D2 style charms and fix the inventory interface too. I want this game to be so good that I can’t tell if it’s 2000 or 2020. Make a sequel to Diablo 2.

I like this and the whole purpose of the post was to get a conversation going around itemization and ideas on how to bring back more player choice.

I like your cursed options as they’re totally driven by player choice and not just forced on you.

To add to this, these could be the “demonic power or cursed” bracelets. These could create cool effects like, upon death a cursed version of your character is summoned and you could fight it for potential loot drops. Then you could have “angelic power” bracelets that would come with more positive effects upon death (I.e. a beam from the heavens shines down upon death and resurrects your character” but if you choose this, you will have -20% stars for 2 minutes due to resurrection fatigue. That way there is a negative that balances out the positive.

I’m thinking the “bracelet” or “runic” addition could be a fun way to add customization, new items to grind for, build diversity and give players a new system (that can be “Blizzardized” for usability).

1 Like

I propose this idea for charms. Its much like D2, large, medium, small charms with 1 prefix and 1 suffix unless legendary, which would be targeted like in D2 and not random like legendary items.

There is a 3x4 charm inventory section. Charms have to be here to be active. If that area is full, you can still pick up a new charm and place in regular inventory until you get back to town to sell or whatever but you don’t get the benefit. Charm inventory can hold items though.

Oh, most certainly. They want D4 to be released as a 20+ year old game.

If they were actually serious about wanting a more immersive inventory, they wouldn’t limit their demands to inventory tetris, they’d also ask for weight limits tied to the Strength stat, a much smaller inventory (who would ever carry around multiple pieces of heavy chest armor or two-handed weapons?). Lets turn D4 into a packing simulator like Death Stranding.

Totally fine with that as long as they don’t need to sit in the inventory space.

Great idea!

It’s a lot better than native English speakers on here.

1 Like

Yep, since they’re temporary, they would be treated like every other buff that goes away upon death.

It was a figure of speech pertaining to the nature of the bonus. I mean after all, not every leg power is useful to anyone.

Then do what we’ve all already told you in your multiple lame D4-copy-D2 threads, and that is:

Go back to D2.

1 Like

This is a different development team.

I know that the organizational structure is hard for some people to understand if they have little to no experience with large companies. It is entirely possible to have a team work on a project and be employed by your company, and they do things entirely different than the regime that preceded them even under the same ownership.

Grim Dawn has Medals and Relics in addition to an Amulet and Rings. Diablo 4 could do something along those lines with the charms. Or maybe the charms can be used for augmenting items like current augment system, but with actual abilities/modifiers instead of just a padding to a particular stat.

Thanks
These are really great ideas, thanks to them I realized that my previous examples were very bad. I realized that if the bonus is constant, it will encourage players to grind on weak opponents, so as not to die and not receive a penalty.
Which fundamentally contradicts what I wanted to get, because the whole idea arose from the desire to diversify the game and add risk / reward mechanics. The ideal solution would be for such mechanics to introduce some kind of balance, you do not want your character to die too quickly, in a sense you are afraid of death but at the same time encourages you to try and take on challenges. Personally, I feel the least grind when I have to try not to let my hero die. And when you play on the verge of life and death it’s obvious that you often die. And at that moment I thought that being able to choose a punishment that would be easier for you to accept would encourage you to take on further challenges.
Thank you for the answer, it gave me a broader perspective.

Thanks, that’s nice. Google translator helps me a lot.

1 Like

More than just the paragons, even the itemization was something that they listened to us on. If not the legendaries wouldn’t have their special powers nor would sets be king either. I wouldn’t doubt there is more than that, but I am not able to remember atm.

Oh so charms must hog inventory space where if you pick up a weapon or two its back to town again. I don’t think that will cut it these days.

probably using some kind of durability on the charms would solve this problem, making you want to keep adventuring and find another charms.

i think that using the name CHARM would be great even if the mechanic would be a little different like you guys explained as another item slot, look at the Horadric cube from D2 when they brought the Kanai’s cube, it wasnt the same but gave the game more D2 vibes and most of the players enjoyed (i guess).

D3 had so little of Diablo besides the camera and lore in the begining and i think that what made us so angry, using a few mechanics with improvements from D2 (wich we 90% love) isnt a bad thing and would greatly appeal the fandom.
For instance:
1 - Inventory tetris: i though was fun thinking what should i take with me and not just go grabing everything in my path. ow but it will use all my inventory space with less itens… so just give somewhey to increase the inventory like my idea for the saddlebags in the mouts.

2- runewords it was already a good system but as seen in poe can be improved. instead of using this dicotomy 1 suport run for 1 activation rune, use the links to suport more runes, ore make 1 activatvion rune more powerful that needed more suport runes then 1, this could give more slots for runes and giving us the runewords we so much want to come back.

3 Angelic/Demon/ancestral powers, instead of making them just a static value, make them become somekind of currency that you need to waste to change or adquire new skills or improve the ones you already have, lvl 20 whirlwind cost a huge amount of power, this would mix the D2 system with a new one and would turn avalable someking of respec without turning in to futile it would bring a cost for the player but wasnt necessary create a new char.

Why would it not copy D2?

Go back to your one button wasteland (of time) Diablo 3, your kind of game. I’m glad that you like things that are given to you and wasting your time going to an end that is defined. I’m glad being put in a box doesn’t bother you.

Yes, that’s the whole point of charms. If you need someone to hold your hand maybe charms aren’t for you.

This is why we don’t have charms. If you take them out of the inventory then they’re just gear and shouldn’t be in the game and if you leave em in the inventory babies will cry. This is your fault why we don’t have charms.

If we were really to blame for not having D2 charms, I think I’d wear that “responsibility” as a badge of honor.
I’d very much like some sort of charm concept to be in D4 (like MolaRams idea for example). But D2’s charms, as much as I enjoyed it for what it was in D2, is not a good idea. There is zero reason to copy it in D4 other than for nostalgia imo.

Though simply taking charms from D2 and add it to its own inventory is not a good idea either. That is just “more stuff/items”. It needs to have some unique aspect to it, like it did in D2.

Yep, and then D3 developed the talisman and cancelled it cause it was just more gear to find. Charms have to be implemented or not, 1 or 0. There isn’t some sweet idea that solves this without adding another inventory slot. I’d like to see charms again and varied sizes of items in the inventory.

D3 tried to do this and came up with a bad solution and then ultimately it was nothing cause they couldn’t decide on anything. Just take off the band aid and let it burn for a moment. D2 without charms isn’t as good, same with D3 or D4.

Imo the unique aspect could have absolutely nothing to do with a “inventory space tradeoff”. Pretty bad tradeoff anyway, as seen in D2. You will nearly always value more stats higher than inventory space, if the game offers any challenge.
Could instead be how charms interacted with each other, depending on their position, color or whatever (heck, the old D2 runewords could find a reuse there), or maybe each have a stat requirement you had to fulfill (like a charm requiring 10 Demonic power, and another requiring 26 demonic power. If you want to use both, you would need 36+ demonic power), or turn it into a temporary survival bonus/death penalty system.
Since the game could really use a robust survival bonus/death penalty system, I think the latter would be great.

Avalon That was a D3 concept, the D2 fanboys will not like it. D4 needs to come up with something new to appease the masses. No mater what they devise some elitists will complain about it.

The poster quoted here is a🤡Not only that he has issues with spelling as well