Diablo 2 remastered - blizzcon 2021

It sounds like it according to that article. I checked Pete and Matt’s Linkdin, they are both still there, Pete is “Lead Producer” and Matt is “Game Designer, Classic Games”. If Diablo is in fact being remastered like the article says, then Diablo, like W3R and SCR, will no longer be a classic game, as Blizzard considers the first 2 remasters as “new games”, thus ends the need for the classic games division.

2 Likes

Heh, yeah I also checked Matts linkedin a moment ago. Still referring to themselves as the classic team, but if it was only dismantled a few weeks ago, it is probably hard to read anything into that.

I’d guess it returned to the Diablo team. Just like they moved the supposed D2R back there, before moving it to the external team.

1 Like

I’m sure the classic games division is tired of getting endless support tickets about getting restricted for VPN usage anyway.

If they fix only one thing, fix that! Waiting in line has returned on US West. :anguished:

Oh really? Surprised West is getting hit first instead of East. Here we go again. :man_facepalming:

I rather play D2 rm before D4 comes out.

You’ll be able to farm paragon until the servers shut down.

After that they can choose to make D3 open source (or bury it into the ground for all eternity).

Never said they were. But parts of WC3R were made externally so it’s possible they work on several games at the same time. Not really an argument in one direction or the other though.

About SC, your point is, because there is a new game in the works, it’s impossible to remaster another from the same franchise ? I don’t see why and anyway the Starcraft franchise is just its own situation : Blizzard release two remasters in the Warcraft franchise, even though it already had two thriving games (WoW and Hearthstone). Why should Diablo be an exception ?

No it’s because it was one team working onnthe remasters and SC had nothing going on so it was first. One small team wasn’t going to be working on all three or even 2 at once.

You’re probably right about that. There was a good 2,5 years between SC and WC3.
So that would mean, if the Bloomberg article is wrong, that we shouldn’t expect a D2R before mid-2022.

yeah 60 fps+ and 1080p would be kinda sick, but thats not something we will get unless its a complete remake of the game

Since it’s been revealed it is being worked on that feels like a good time frame provided D4 is released holiday 2021 or early 2022 with D2R being a summer/holiday 2022 release. I cant imagine both coming out close to each other, or, D2R being a panic button release if D4 hits a delay.

I have a feeling d2r is already done and they’re going to announce and release at blizzconline.

I think it still might be too early to release. An announcement could be possible. Remember this from June 2020.

Blizzplanet | Diablo III » Diablo 2 Resurrected: Vicarious Visions Wants a QA Tester for… Rated M Game

I would rather it be released as a polished game instead of being rushed.

Yes, it’s unlikely D2R would come close to D4. I would only add one year to your estimated D4 release date. ^^

Not sure about that. The report sounds as if they just took over. Doubt it’s something that was close to ready if they switched teams.

It would be difficult to do considering how they rushed Warcraft Reforged due to pressure from the higher up. The higher up doesn’t care about quality as long as they can get the money first or bonus.

If a game like Warcraft 3 Reforged, a remaster, that had been developed for 2 years and it still wasn’t enough to complete it, D2Remake would need more than 3 years or more for a completed game.

In fact, where is Overwatch 2? It had been like 2 years since the announcement and I barely heard anything from it.

You may want to look at the link my earlier post. It sounds like Vicarious Visions was hiring at least one QA tester back in June. Presumably, the game was already in development at Vicarious Visions by that point or at least they were helping out already…

1 Like

If the old d2 forums still existed, I’d link a post by Nevalistis back in early 2019 about an “upcoming platform update” for Diablo 2, and mainly that it will not support running on XP/Vista.

Something was already brewing back then.