Diablo 2 is still playable and downloadable

Just figured that I’d go ahead and address all these hardcore purists and remind them that Diablo 2 and D2: LoD are both still readily available for download and play, offline or on Battle.net 1.0.

See I mention this because I’ve owned them for a LONG time, and purchased copies of them countless times, and played the game from 1.07 until 1.12, when I quit because it had become stagnant and outdated.

All you other “veteran” players that are shamelessly trying to invalidate other people’s opinions of the upcoming Resurrected can just go back to playing the original if you don’t like changes to the game.

And now I know that you’re sitting there going “But I want the new graphics” completely missing the irony that you want changes, you just only want YOUR changes. You want new graphics, you want no duping, you want no pickit or botting or maphacks, but you’re all crying about features people are asking for that will significantly reduce the draw of such cheats

I’m 32, I’ve played Diablo II for well over half my lifetime, and I support more options and new features for D2R:

• Personal Loot: Make it an option at game creation, and make it so that no EXTRA loot is generated, just that whatever does drop is assigned round-robin to a nearby player
  • Loot Filters: Yes. No reason not to have them, it’s just visual clarity
  • Pickit: These two above features are the best steps that can be taken to prevent Pickit ^^
  • New endgame content (such as Rifts): Yep. No reason for Baal to be the only farmable mlvl 99 in the game.
  • Bots: You know what bots are really NOT good at doing? ^^ Running areas that they aren’t specifically built for.
  • Skill Balancing: Sure. It’s a 20 year old game, no reason not to shake up the meta a little bit. But then you’d lose the advantage you’ve spent 20 years getting.
  • Disable PvP Option: Absolutely a great idea for game creation, and if you disagree, then at least have the self-respect to admit that you participate in this toxic behavior. If you were interested in being GOOD at PvP, you’d participate in duels with other PvPers, not try to PK people mid-Chaos run who aren’t even paying attention to you.
  • Stackable Runes and Gems: There’s NO reason to not do this and you all know it. If you’ve ever played at any kind of consistent high end farming/crafting, you KNOW how many mules you’re going to be making JUST to hold runes and gems. This is a decision that should be made for not only convenience for players, but also for the health of the online servers. Shared Stash tabs will NOT be even close to enough when we start rushing for forges and spamming Countess for runes and keys.

Just because you spent 20 years of your life suffering doesn’t mean you should ruin it for a new wave of players who have different expectations. Remember, you can always keep playing Diablo II: Still Dead.

16 Likes

The community seems so divided about wanting either a pure copy of D2R but remastered, or an updated version with alot of QoL and balances.

Where are all the in-betweeners?

I want the game to stay the same as much as possible, but hey, if they add stackable runes Great, i will stay play.
Charm inventory, sure, that would be cool.
Shared loot? Doesent matter, i will stay enjoy the game.

Im gonna play with or without these changes, but i keep hearing “refund” if the game doesent exactly meet up to a persons every need.

Just enjoy the remaster for what it is, thats what im gonna do.

18 Likes

Dear diary, hur dur ba dur.

10 Likes

I’m an in-betweener myself. I just think that the gatekeeping and denial by these veterans here is the quickest way to watch D2R turn into the bot-ridden ghost town that D2 is: A few hundred players, an overwhelming majority of which aren’t players, just bot accounts logged in so that they can sell items to the small handful of people that do play for real money.

I want the game to be fun, and the simple reality is that a ghost town isn’t fun. If I’m going to play an empty game with nothing but a loot treadmill, I can go download any one of thousands of mobile games that are free.

5 Likes

there isnt

Its not really a spectrum debate but rather Boolean

You think change can make the game better or You dont

ofc the extent of those changes depends on the individuals but when you dont want changes like some, there is no “it depends”, no place for rational thinking, its all emotions

2 Likes
  1. Ok, I can “agree” on game creation for ploot. But for core gameplay, no. However, despite the non-ploot and ploot debate, you need to ask yourself, what advantages does a ploot created game have over a created non-ploot game? The ploot farming would be twice as rewarding than non-ploot games. How do you figure? 100x mobs = 100x more loot. Non-ploot games (core) already have a set RNG loot algorithm. Now, with ploot, you’re upping the loot chances with a new algorithm as the likes in D3 which rains blues/green/legendary items from non-elite to elite mobs. Dev’s would have to carefully play around with a side by side RNG loot comparison within the Cow Realm where it’s most dense to figure out the median between both ploot and non-ploot RNG rewards.

2. Loot Filters: Agree

3. Pickit: Very annoying esp with bots on Baal runs in original D2. Loot disappears b4 you have a chance to pick up anything.

4. Rifts: No, that’s what Ubers are for in D2. We honestly don’t need “rifts”. We already have endless Cow King grinds coming at launch so, that’s pretty good for a start. Cow King can drop a good amount of loot including sets/rare’s/legendary as is. Ubers the same.

5. Bots: Not sure what to expect, as long as D2R isn’t being overran by bots and kept to a very minimalistic population on a separate server or something.

6. Skill Balancing: Sure, would like to see some improvements on non-meta builds to be viable especially for end game gear.

7. Disable PvP Option: Agree. Nothing’s more annoying than some 10+ level player coming into a game and hostile everyone and kill them for their gold. Happened in D2R beta a few times during Tomb Runs, very annoying. There should be a toggle for a “Accept/Decline” option when “player” has chosen to be hostile with you" is displayed. Instead of being hunted down regardless if you’ve never provoked to be hostile towards the player, they can just toggle it on. This should be a “core” option, including game creation.

1 Like

Why are people so upset that most players want to play the original game on a remaster lol.

Do you think if the game sucked they would put the resources into updating the graphics and MINOR qol changes ?

It was sold as an original d2 experience and you get upset when people want it that way.

Not our fault you hate everything about this game. Just don’t play it ?

10 Likes

Ok, I can “agree” on game creation for ploot. But for core gameplay, no. However, despite the non-ploot and ploot debate, you need to ask yourself, what advantages does a ploot created game have over a created non-ploot game? The ploot farming would be twice as rewarding than non-ploot games. How do you figure? 100x mobs = 100x more loot. Non-ploot games (core) already have a set RNG loot algorithm. Now, with ploot, you’re upping the loot chances with a new algorithm as the likes in D3 which rains blues/green/legendary items from non-elite to elite mobs. Dev’s would have to carefully play around with a side by side RNG loot comparison within the Cow Realm where it’s most dense to figure out the median between both ploot and non-ploot RNG rewards.

Like I said, my idea of personal loot would use the exact same loot generation formula with zero changes. The ONLY “personal” part of it is that it would “tag” the item to an individual player, meaning only that player can pick it up for a short period of time. Under NO circumstances do I believe that personal loot should yield MORE loot than normal. The term personal loot is probably best changed in this context to “temporarily reserved” loot.

Rifts: No, that’s what Ubers are for in D2. We honestly don’t need “rifts”. We already have endless Cow King grinds coming at launch so, that’s pretty good for a start. Cow King can drop a good amount of loot including sets/rare’s/legendary as is. Ubers the same.

I’ve given the idea of rifts a LOT of thought, and I think that the number one advantage that these would provide over any other form of endgame is that all the current “run” areas are all heavily dominated by a single or small set of builds. Rifts, being a randomized selection of mobs pushes players to create diverse groups. Elemental resistances and weaknesses are a MASSIVE thing in Hell difficulty in D2, and because of how the current endgame is laid out with virtually no variation, Hammerdins are always going to be good for everything but Pandemonium Event, Lightning builds are always going to run Countess, Smiters with CB are always going to handle Ubers, Orb sorcs are always going to run Ancient Tunnels, Barbs are only ever going to be support builds, etc. Some take on rifts will push groups to create more varied, versatile comps because the possibilities of what you’ll run into in “rifts” would be so open.

I know people are afraid of the idea of rifts in D2 because they have become so dominated by certain comps in D3, but D3 has a fundamentally different set of mechanics, and I believe that randomized dungeons will have an entirely opposite effect given D2R’s mechanics.

Why are people so upset that most players want to play the original game on a remaster lol.

A remaster isn’t just about graphics, it’s about bringing a game up to more modern standards. Everyone has gotten better at both playing AND making games in the last 20 years, and I want to see D2R improved because I want it to compete with more modern games. I don’t hate the game, I love it to death. I’m talking daily about being excited for release, but being excited for a game doesn’t mean there aren’t still improvements that can be made.

We don’t play on 800x600 resolution monitors or 28k modems anymore, and there’s no reason to be stuck to other outdated things either. And the fact that people want different things is fine, that’s why we have options menus in games now that amount to more than Gamma settings. :rofl:

Last I checked, so is Diablo 3. So instead of directing the original fanbase back to the original, how about you direct yourself to the modern version of this game with all of the features you seek.

You pre-ordered THIS game. If you didn’t want THIS game, why the hell did you preorder it?

10 Likes

and just because the newbies have no idea of good gameplay YOU shouldn’t ruin and break D2Res with your stupid ideas. Remember: There are many other games you can play WITHOUT ruining the REMASTER of one of the best arpgs.
(Remaster : NOT A NEW GAME FOR YOU! the new stuff is coming with D4!)

9 Likes

You completely smashed it right here. They can go play the games that have the features they want.

Clearly they didn’t want this game.

8 Likes

I’am rather neutral on the rest you are asking for , but this one i would disagree with. i’am not a pker , i don’t like it (outside of Pking Bots that is)
But it’s part of the game and of many others games , why remove this ?
I’am pretty sure many players play for that specifically, i wouldn’t call them “toxic” they are just roleplaying as the bad guy, atleast for some of them.
In most games i was usually a PKK (player killer killer) hence roleplaying as the “good guy”. Was fun sometime ^^
Also this feature somewat exist if you are scared of higher level : you can select the level differences at game creation.
Also, there was many pker at beta but it was simply because there wasn’t much to do once you killed duriel and hit lv 30.
In actual game , Pk are rather rare or rather : Extremely rare you might see one every ladder (6 months) xD

1 Like

Completely agree with OP. Played D2 for almost 2 decades. Game is out dated. Don’t change any core mechanics, just add small QoL changes for better user experience. (selectable ploot, charm inventory, more stash space, stackable runes, balance skills, balance mercs, skill bar for M/K)
After 1st ladder reset start adding things (maps/keys/rifts, act6, themed seasons, etc.)
Keep this project alive for another 2 decades!!
Let’s GO!!

This is so they can talk all they want with zero repercussions. They won’t get a toggle or a handshake. Its a glorious thing too. You over-reach, you get ganked.

Remember: There are many other games you can play WITHOUT ruining the REMASTER of one of the best arpgs.
You completely smashed it right here. They can go play the games that have the features they want.

The best ARPGs that doesn’t have a playerbase of more than a couple hundred active, REAL players across the world?

This whole set of comments is a giant banner just saying the same things that I have already addressed. You’re not partaking of a discussion, you’re just screaming and hoping that you’ll win the debate by being louder.

I want this game. I have played this game for more of my life than I’ve played ANY game. I want this game to improve because I’m not interested in playing it with nothing but a bunch of bots and if you REALLY played the current D2, you’d understand that. I promise that if the “purists” win out on this, D2R will die a very fast, very public death at the hands of botters/pickit users/maphackers/real money item selling sites.

No, you didn’t want this game. You want this game IF it conforms to what you want, not what it is. If you pre-ordered a game with a feature-set, that’s the feature-set you can expect.

I can respect that you want more, you just aren’t going to get it. Much like WC3 Reforged and Starcraft remastered, there hasnt been any major system changes or additions since release.

You’re absolutely correct, this won’t be a common occurrence even without the ability to disable it. I personally know enough to know that if someone pops in to PK, that’s the quickest TP and new game ever. But for a LARGE number of people, the first time they lose 10% of a level at 90+ to someone PK’ing them, it’ll be the last time they play the game, and my primary concern is the long-term health of the game and the playerbase.

I feel the same way and that’s exactly why I don’t want people like you to ruin the game.
Say what you want: it’s a remaster and won’t get any fundamental changes.
The Door is right there
:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

you don’t lose exp when you get pk’ed though , only gold on you and your ear (which you have an infinite amount of )

why wouldnt i play D2r? afterall Blizzard promised a faithfull remaster and so far it seems like thats exactly what i will get minus some minor QoL updates that are fine.

you are mixing something up i think?

So far D2R is pretty much exactly what we purists want, if you are not happy with that i would like to return the favor for that reason to you, as it is needed more by changeists:

Diablo 3/Diablo Immortal is playable right at this moment and D4 is in active developement. Enjoy, while the purists are getting exactly the D2r they want as it currently stands.

6 Likes