Anyone who isn’t aware of the Wolcen fiasco, it’s basically this:
- it was in Early Access for several years, the Alpha was great and had so much promise.
- the Beta removed many of the features that made the Alpha great, like the rotating camera view & the unique elemental staff attacks, and it began a downward quality spiral that the game has never recovered from.
- Wolcen was released with an incomplete story mode, an entire act missing. It was meant to be added in over time, but they focused on stupid fluff content instead, like badly designed endgame.
- Its itemization is plain hideous, nothing worth farming for.
- 2 years after release its story mode is still incomplete with no Act 4 to speak of.
- Wolcen lost 95% of its playerbase within 2 months of release and this year it can’t even manage more than an average of 200 active players.
- Wolcen devs seem to have vanished from the earth. No communication for the longest time since they abandoned their crappy “road map”.
Now look at DI. Less than a month after release it’s already being shunned by the majority of players and faces potential total cancellation in the country it was originally designed FOR. Streamers are abandoning it in droves, and gamers are universally united in their bitter disappointment and almost-hatred for both the game and its developer, who has been on very thin ice for the longest time as it is.
Just when we thought they couldn’t sink any lower, they manage to surprise us. Blizzard seems to be on a complete and total communication blackout, with its community managers & game programmers/directors completely avoiding Discord & Reddit - the very platforms they encouraged us to reach them on instead of the dreaded Blizzard official forums that they fear so much.
All this made worse by the fact that far too many DI features appear to be copied from D4. Just a few examples:
- shared open world with other chumpstains getting in your way and stealing your kills
- Elder Rifts and stupid crests
- world bosses on a timer that will FORCE you to group up with others - meaning you won’t be allowed to solo them.
It’s like being on the Titanic at this stage; damned if you do, damned if you don’t.