DH Set Gears Of Dreadlands

Personally I’d love to watch a D3 dev play this build and get feedback from them…and also the above. Spin to Win Barb is my goto class now and having a DH build like that, but maybe with Strafe proccing other spenders (like how Etched Sigil works) might be fun

I agree with a lot of what you’ve said Apache222.

I think it would be a more fun mechanic if strafing built “new momentum” and casting primaries built a new buff “arsenal” or something like that. Once they get stacked to their max stacks, the buff lasts 10s.

Could be something like the following:
Arsenal:
Casting Strafe grants a stack of ‘Growing Arsenal.’ After reaching 5 stacks, Building Arsenal is converted into Arsenal for 10 seconds. Arsenal increases the damage output of your generator abilities by 50,000%.

Momentum:
Casting a hatred-generating ability grants a stack of ‘Building momentum.’ After reaching 5 stacks, Building momentum is converted into Momentum for 10 seconds. Momentum increases the damage of Strafe by 25,000%.

Building momentum and Growing Arsenal would not have a stack duration. The stacks last until they reach maximum stack count and are consumed to grant momentum or arsenal.

Edit:
We would want the primary damage to be much stronger for single target. Strafe to clear trash, spam primary to down the rift guardian.

People wanted a strafing build.

The strafing itself does precious little damage at all.
The momentum property? - well no need to repeat what everyone else has said.

I am surprised the strafing itself as everyone requested is like a blanket for the primary skills. It does not make sense.

They need to consider what was done with Patterns of Justice and contemplate bringing strafe damage into the mix with increased hatred regen.

2 Likes

In line with what many are saying it seems like this set wants you to build up pressure like a spring by casting primaries then let it go with a strafe. While this play style can work, comparing this to other sets makes that release feel bad. Take the monk’s new set for instance, with that one you build up momentum then you need to keep the avalanche rolling. You get a feeling of power that you are striving to maintain, while with this set you start with your max power and you watch it fade.
Ignoring damage values cause multipliers are easier to tweak lets stick to the core gameplay loop of the set. I see 2 main ways to make this set play better, and only 1 of them should be used cause of how these change the set:

1: make the 4 set cast legit instances of your primary skills, yes this changes the core intent of the set but this is how people are trying to build the set thinking its a channel set instead of a stationary caster set

2: make the stacks and defensive buff last longer, right now the falloff for the strafe burst is WAY too quick, doesn’t have the quick reposition and harass feel that I think the devs were going for

The set has promise, just needs some tlc

Dear blizzard, it’s been said plenty of times across these forums but I’ll put in my 2cents regardless, please change this hot mess of a set. The way it functions now puts it beneath every other single DH build. any sort of change or even a complete overhaul would be praised by the community.

I’m fine with this set being Strafe-centric and would propose a few changes that might make it better:

2-piece set bonus
Strafe gains the effect of all runes

4-piece set bonus
You gain 1 stack of momentum that reduces incoming damage by X% and increases movement speed by Y% for 5 seconds every time you attack with Strafe. Stacks up to 10 times.

(NOTE: Stacks refreshes every time Strafe is cast, whether it hits or not)

6-piece set bonus
Strafe also casts the last generator you attacked with and increase your Strafe damage by Z%

5 Likes

2pc
While channeling Strafe, you gain a Momentum Stack that increases your movement speed by 10% per stack upto 10 stacks; lasts 15 seconds,

4pc
While channeling Strafe, you gain 5~7% damage reduction per Momentun Stack.

6pc
Each Momentum Stack increased your Primary skill damage by 1000% and attack speed by 10%.

Strafe is for mobility only. Primary Skills for the actual DPS.

2 Likes

How about: after 5 seconds of strafing, the Elemental Arrow is charged with +xxxxx% damage.

As everyone has said, the set is particularly bad as it stands.
But in my optinion it just needs 2 littles twicks to be good:

• 4 pieces: Also Strafe must generate momentums (or at least, momentums should last longer)
  • 6 pieces: Also turns Strafe as primary (It will benefit from items that boost Primaries like Hunter’s Warth belt and gems like Simplicity’s Strength) AND consume 50% less hatred OR remove hatred cost OR Strafe become a generator (thoses 3 proposales related to hatred can also be added to another item).

Thanks for reading and sorry for mistakes, English is not my native language :slight_smile:

1 Like

The fact is that most of the movement channeling builds tend to be this way… look at WotW WW Barb. No one stopped to use Rend until they made it auto apply from WW.

Sure, Monk has got the nuke with the cold rune but that rewards you when you stop channeling TR.

I still reckon Nats Strafe has been the best implementation of strafe thus far… RoV was a nice nuke. The only problems I had with it was that 10sec DR and damage buff after firing RoV was a little short. I would have liked at least 20sec… preferably 30sec. That and the need to tap a generator to keep the hatred up as well as proc FnR.

The new set seemed to have emphasised on one of my two dislikes from Nats Strafe to the nth degree.

2 Likes

They do what ? they generate hatred…but don’t generate momentum stacks…my point is that if shooting primary skill generates momentum stack, it should be generated while strafing too (automatically) since strafing shoots primary skills too…

2 Likes

Had it been me, I would have made this set the following way:

• 2pc: Strafe gains all runes and an additional 50% movement speed.
  • 4pc: Casting Strafe against enemies will automatically shoots your last used generator, and also give 60% damage reduction while strafing and for 10 seconds after. (the auto generators will proc Wraps of Clarity and FnR)
  • 6pc: Strafe and generators deal 25,000% more damage. Casting generators grants a stack of damage that increases damage by 10% for 4 seconds up to a maximum of 5 stacks. (the generators cast by the 4pc won’t create stacks)

Such a design would make it a spin to win build for casuals but the wudijos of the world will have to work for maximum damage output for pushing… thus making satisfying for pro players.

It would also allow us to focus on either generators or just buffing Strafe if we want to run a pure strafe setup just for fun.

6 Likes

Probably the best middle ground suggestion I’ve seen for those who want it to be a 1 button build vs having to manually cast generators.

I would still like the set to be slightly more interesting than just another strafe build + generator, but any big rework at this point probably isn’t going to happen. Have to be realistic about these things.

3 Likes

Great ideas…

1 Like

Lots of great ideas here. While at work today I was thinking about this (obviously more interesting than work) and came to the conclusion that if they are dead set on this playstyle, to reverse the synergy of it.

Strafe should generate the momentum stacks, and primaries should be used to unload them. Imagine spinning around, gaining stacks, stopping at an elite, then unloading your damage on it. It makes 100% more sense.

7 Likes

Really like this idea. But hopefully while you strafe you deal damage as well

1 Like

I like the set, I just feel the stacks should stay longer or get generated by Strafe.
I mean you only get movement speed and dr. Don’t get me wrong, Its very usefull, but the fact that Casting Strafe against enemies will automatically shoot your last used primary skill, should normally trigger the first effect as well.

If not, I would settle with “Strafe gain 100% more damage per stacks” without the automatically shoot primary skill.

Personally, I would prefer Longer stacks, would make it a bit more active then a regular “Hold channel and win” build

It was one that was suggested, however no one plays a odd system of stacking primary damage and then seeing it barely last when moving with strafe. I thought this would work like shoot primary, strafe would used that for type of damage for so many seconds, subject to repeating strafe. Instead it’s a mess of activity. People that are casual players will avoid this as it presently works. :slightly_smiling_face:

That I like a lot better then what this set is trying to do. Hope it gets changed to that.

After reading the forums for some more build ideas with Gear of Dreadlands set, seems Hungering Arrow is the way to go, although this set is still too squishy.

Two key things I think need implementing with this set:

• primary skills automatically fired with Strafe need to stack Momentum as well
  • Momentum stacks should not be lost when firing with two different primary skills (eg. Hungering Arrow and Entangling Shot)

On a side note, Bolas looks like it could also use a bigger damage boost to compete with Hungering Arrow.