DH Set Gears Of Dreadlands

It feels like the 4pc is bugged. Vengeance Seethe plus hatred regen on my gear and I’m still running out of hatred when using strafe. Survivability is completely contingent on actively using the primaries. To make this even usable to me:
While Using Strafe:
Proc Wraps of Clarity
Proc Momentum
Proc Gems (Taeguk and Simplicity)
Generate Primary skill amount of hatred.
Yes this makes it a hold right click only build, but that is how the other mobility channeling builds, PoJ and WW, work.

4 Likes

Apparently the intended playstyle is to use strafe as a repositioning tool and a hatred dump but not as the main damage source of the build. Casting primaries outright is the main damage source.

Adopting this playstyle took my GR100 clear times from 10-12minutes to 6-8 minutes.

I found myself playing with the absorb crossbow, I’ve wanted a set hungering arrow fits in for far too long. Once I fiddled pretty much a lot, I settled with Grandeur in cube, using Mantle of Channeling equipped with the other 5, Buriza didn’t seem to work, maybe if I’d gone to much higher difficulty to where things didn’t melt? Wore flavor of time for necklace, primary attack bracers and belt.

The problem I have is that the belt is absolutely required to reach 10 momentum stacks, it’s really feels bad. My first playtest was abysmal. Once I equipped the tankiness crossbow, made my weapon cube Dawn with the DR vengeance of course… it worked. Well enough. I wasn’t super impressed, it really needs a numbers pass, for sure. The stuttering to keep up momentum feels even worse if you’re killing things in one hit, because then you don’t keep up momentum if your primary fired by strafe killed things. It’s insanely clunky, but I really, really want the set to work because I love Hungering/Devouring Arrow. Also make sure it works with Buriza-Do Kyanon/Devouring Arrow, please!

Oh, I also didn’t have Taeguk or Simplicity’s Strength, I was using Esoteric, Stricken, Trapped. Obviously on a final test I would, but I just wanted to get my early, immediate feedback. It needs to give a baseline attack speed boost to Primary skills, or allow the 4pc to keep up Momentum, at minimum. Otherwise it requires the belt like no other build requires an additional piece. At least with Earthen Might, Leapquake can function without Lut Socks in cube - it’s clunkier but it still works. This set does NOT function without supporting legendaries.

I would like to introduce you to the Barb’s set from season 20. It says hello.

I don’t know who thought spamming a primary skill would be any fun. I don’t know why they would introduce sets at this stage that are just weak compared to the other sets available.

3 Likes

Here’s what they need to change to maintain something more interesting than just another WW build:

1. Strafe quickly builds momentum on hit OR 1 per second, not firing your primaries. The current mechanism literally makes no sense and is counter to every other similar system. You move = you build momentum. If you want to avoid the tumble interaction, then keep it as strafe; frankly, I think it’s nonsense.

2. Stacks last at least 5 seconds. That’s the bare minimum of acceptable “feel”.

3. For every momentum charge, you attack 20% faster when manually firing ANY primary skill, but it spends a momentum charge. Casting different primary skills DOESN’T RESET MOMENTUM CHARGES. As you cast your primary skill, you fire slower and slower, so the player can determine when it’s time to begin moving again to avoid losing DR and the appropriate DPS window is now done. This also allows for better COE integration if desired. F&R is preserved.

There. Simple. Then you tweak numbers for performance.

1 Like

Massively disappointed by this set. Of all the options that Blizzard could have gone with a new DH set, they decided that a fast & squishy T16-demolisher that struggles before it even goes past GR100, was going to be the best option?
Guess what other DH set can do that? ALL OF THEM.

It appears to me that they cannot see the DH as anything other than a fast & light unit, designed to rule bounties and Nephalem rifts.

Traditional DH mains have been dreaming to have an Elemental Arrow or Chakram build since forever and they came up with a Whirlwind copy that uses the weakest skills of the class?

Incredibly disappointed…

7 Likes

new set is trash, worse than nats in every way with identical playstyle

make strafe generate momentum stacks

played for an hour and uninstalled ptr since blizzard is incapable of salvaging the set

1 Like

It needs a few things like the monk, sader and others received. I think they are moderately obvious.

I managed to get to 91 but not without a lot of fiddling around with skills and choices to do it using under 2K paragons.

For only this set and using only this set, the primary skills and strafe need a decent damage boost. Strafe as well. This is like the monk only having sweeping wind and tempest doing nada. Both skills need the damage boost. The set and only the set, is opened up to more possibilities.
As it stands, the LoD will do what every season has at some point and make the equivalent set look tame and continue to do so, if something doesn’t change. People will use the legendary boosts in LoD. It makes no sense not to.

1/ I couldn’t figure out a playstyle to keep the momentum up in the the Keep Depths rift. Just doesn’t mesh/flow.

2/ Hard to know what the damage is like when I can’t even make it around a corner without dying. Lacks survivability. I don’t believe HC is viable with this gear.

3/ Imo, set is color-challenged and not appealing.

1 Like

Another comment I have with regards to the set and to the barbarian comparison of WW/Wastes, which is fair, is that WW doesn’t default apply rend with the set - it does so with Ambo’s Pride - BUT: WW also is cohesive without Ambo’s Pride, Skull Grasp, or anything else. It works self-contained without even casting Rend. You can self-cast rend on elites and stuff and go back to spinning, and you keep your frigging dr for 3 seconds between WW’s which this set’s current iteration has absolutely NO carryover of durability, which is complete QoL nightmare.

Hence the variety of defensive legendaries feeling required and awareness being procced in GRs if a mob even is on-screen and you’re not strafing.

In other words, this set is just plain hot garbage.

So much for saving it for the last and making the set feel like it’s thought up in the very last minute.

4 Likes

Very disappointed with the new DH set. The play mechanism doesn’t synergize at all. Strafe should not auto cast primary skill and should cast spender skill with more smooth play. Momentum play is really no good. Garbage set and dono what to say.

1 Like

I don’t agree, Strafe casting primary or generators would be a nice synergy if it comes with all the perks of actually casting as a primary/generator (resource generation), which would have Strafe’s uptime almost indefinite.

But currently the set doesn’t have proper synergy, or there’s a coding error that makes it super duper clunky to play.

And yes, I’ve played WW Barb and this set is similar in that sense, minus the multitude of utility that comes with the skill that Barb has.

2 Likes

the 6 piece is also bad. Its worse than natalyas 12000%. Not only is it 2000% less but it also doesnt increase all damage. I just can see this set being used at all as 6 piece. Maybe mixed the 2 piece or with nats but thats it.

1 Like

It’s even worse, Nats is 14,000% and 60% DR without needing to hold the strafe channel. Marauders has a 12,000% buff per sentry too. Someone mentioned they always start out the new sets at 10,000% so it’s possible this will get changed, but it was mentioned in this post that it can hit 4 times per strafe tick, which would potentially mitigate the lower base percentage?

Very sad, the set feels damage wise very underwhelming, also the need to use a channeling skill “alongside” with a primary skill is very unintuitive and breaks totally the flow for me.

Suggestion: I would like to see that this set turns strafe into a generator which triggers the last used primary skill (eg. hungering arrow) permanently while channelling, So if you want Strafe as “carrier” for the primary skill.

And yes this set needs of course also a significant dmg buff.

What a waste of a set when this could totally be focused on traps/devices as many people suggested over the past months. I think that would fit better the steampunk engineer fantasy that the set portrays. Aren’t generators (primary skills included) already buffed by the Unhallowed Essence set? If you want to buff those skills wait for the next patch dedicated to balance the old sets and give this one something actually refreshing in terms of play style.

4 Likes

wait, was it steampunk engineer? I thought they copycated from Fallo*t lol

besides, really agree with you. Trapper build would be better than this point-lost set.

Hate to admit it, but I agree. As much as I love strafe thematically, I’d rather see no new set this season and a functional one next season than see them try to go live with half a set

1 Like