Death Proc'd While Shield Pylon Active

I had a shield pylon active (emanated from the follower with the flavor of time).
Killed the Rift Guardian.
Started picking up loot and suddenly death got procced. Luckily damage was prevented for a few seconds thanks to follower passive.

1 Like

Emanateā€¦ love it :100:

I got 3 more examples. Some of them have shield pylon active, some others not.
I think this is self-inflicted somehow (how else one would explain when shields are active?).

This happens to me too. It either has to do with the cheat death or the enchantress. Iā€™ve only had it happen with her, so idk about the other two since I donā€™t use templar and donā€™t use cheat death with scoundrel. Might have to do with an interaction of FB and the cheat death, canā€™t really say.

When this was reported during the PTR, the most likely reason put forward was that the order in which the game checks to see if damage should be applied or not is wrong, i.e. itā€™s checking to see if the damage caused would reduce your HP to zero (which procā€™s the ā€œcheat deathā€ ability) before it checks to see if youā€™re immune to the damage due to a shield.

1 Like

Noticed several times this season that with Firebird wizard sometimes I would take damage when having an active Shield Pylon. Today I even proced cheat death while having it. have a clip of it. Would be nice to be fixed, not safe for a HC player especially.

Clip : http s://youtu.be/RN8UGZod7_4

Please learn how to post links in these forums correctly. Thank you.

Hereā€™s yours: https://youtu.be/RN8UGZod7_4

How to Post Links

1. Upload your image or video to a free hosting website, like Imgur or YouTube.

2. Paste the "Direct Link" to your image and/or video in your post. (See image below).

1. Select the link you just pasted and click the Ė‚/Ėƒ button on the Reply Editor toolbar. (See image below).

1. Click Reply. (See image below).

Your link will look similar to this: https://i.imgur.com/AQIKfWw.gif

I am reporting a similar episode, where Templarā€™s Guardian skill procced while a Dimensional Shield was active.

This occurred in a solo Hardcore greater rift, on account Vidici, wizard named Eterna. I activated a Shield Pylon. Approximately 30 seconds later the Rift Guardian spawned and procced the templarā€™s cheat death skill.

Here are screenshots demonstrating that the Dimensional Shield had been applied prior to Guardian. Both were of equal length of 120 seconds, due to doubling of the shield by emanation of the Templarā€™s Flavor of Time.

https://i.imgur.com/ryz2UNK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/W7HKYOK.jpg

(Added: I am unsure why the two images are not shown, as I followed the instructions provided by Perusoe above. A message appears saying that I am not able to post links.)

I was about to post the same thread. I have dispensed with my characterā€™s life-saving passive in favor of the Templarā€™s ā€œGuardianā€ ability.

The first several times this happened I had the Maximus equipped on the follower, which spawns a demonic slave randomly. I thought at first that the slaves spawned by the Followerā€™s weapon were considering me an enemy and hitting me, because I ā€œdiedā€ in hard-core and the Templarā€™s Guardian skill saved me. But I couldnā€™t identify anything that actually hit me. That was playing a Wizard.

Now Iā€™m playing a Demon Hunter on a different account, the Templar has Thunderfury equipped, and in the middle of a Greater Rift with an active Shield Pylon, extended by the Flavor of Time equipped on the Templar, I ā€œdiedā€ once again, when it was impossible for anything to hit me, period.

Based on my observations, this is what I think is happening:

Previously, during normal gameplay, Followers would use their skills randomly based on the situation and the individual skillā€™s cooldown cycle. I think that in recoding these skills for the lifesaver, the Followers still have the power to activate their lifesaver skill (the skill in that particular slot) at will, and because of the way the lifesaver works, our current health is reset to zero, which causes the screen to flash red for a moment, the skill restores the designated amount of health, applies whatever other specific effect goes along with it, and starts the timer.

Now, Iā€™m assuming that the Templar cannot activate Guardian while itā€™s on cooldown, which gives me some level of confidence that the Templar himself wonā€™t actually kill me, but having that kind of thing happen in a high level GR, and then being in danger of the next lethal hit definitely killing me, it makes for some occasional tense moments.

I hope the devs will look into this behavior, and correct any bugs or errors in the coding for it.

FYI, thatā€™s because you donā€™t spam the message boards with hundreds and hundreds of original posts and replies, and spend hours reading voraciously everything posted by everyone else, so that you can raise your ā€œTrust Levelā€ to 3, which is the level that allows you to post active links in your messages.

In the meantime, youā€™re stuck with all us normal plebeians who actually have a life and want to enjoy gametime while sitting at the computer, who have to post links as preformatted code.

Very counterintuitive to what is intended to be a helpful environment.

Seeing this issue all the time. Enchantress triggers it once per a couple of rifts, on average, even if there are no mobs around, or at least those that can potentially one-shot me. Rift difficulty doesnā€™t matter, once it was triggered in GR 35, when I played Wizard with Galvanising Ward + Ashnagarrs cubed, that gave me about 1.3 M shield. Like, seriously? What could have possibly one-shot me there?

At first, I thought itā€™s some sort of check order that Meteorblade mentioned, with followerā€™s check happening before the shields check. However, recently I switched to Necro, and the situation didnā€™t change a bit.

As I see it now, these abilities just donā€™t worth it unless you are pushing way over your head.

Both the Enchantress and the Templar have legitimately saved me several times, but the ā€œKiller bugā€ is definitely concerning when you play hardcore.

I should mention that during normal operation in a GR, I have just under 1 billion Toughness, and buffed up I have 1.5 billion Toughness. Yes, thatā€™s BILLION.

Didnā€™t matter, with a Dimensional Shield and 1.5 billion Toughness, my Templar still managed to kill me and save me at the same time.

Oh yeah, that happened to me, too. Like, once or twice, when I was actually pushing.
Apart from that, itā€™s a downright backstabbing.

Same happened to me, playing Wizz with Templar - emanated FoT, Shield Pylon, Cheat Death still procā€™d:

Same thing happened to me today (EU server). After clicking a shield pylon and spawning the champion pack I noticed an odd dip in my health pool and thought ā€œwhat?ā€ and then I noticed the Templar cheat death ikon was up and it was clearly started after the ikon for the shieldā€¦ First time Iā€™ve noticed it.

Iā€™m so glad this is already a known issue I thought I was going crazy.
Same thing has been happening to me.
Enchantressā€™s Fateā€™s Lapse is randomly triggering, even when I have a Shield Pylon active.
Playing a Wizard w/ 558m toughness in combat, + 1.5m hp shield. Squirtā€™s Necklace increases damage to me by 50%, so that 1.5m counts for about 1m hp.

Iā€™ve gone from full toughness + full HP + full shield, to immediate proc only on GR80 wondering why Iā€™m so squishy until I realized it was a bug.
Thankfully Iā€™ve got two more death procs after this.

Anyone had the issue with the Scoundrel? I use him in GRs, and Iā€™ve never had an issue. His cheat death has procā€™d several times, but they were all legitimate (damn dervishes). Never had an issue with the shield up.

Not with cheat death, but Scoundrel also seemed to have some follower related bug from my experience. When your cheat death procs, in that fraction of a second, it seems to consider you as dead, as in followerā€™s ability/emanate being disabled (when you die, follower dies thing). I had pylon not spawn an elite pack from Nems bracers (around the time when my cheat death proc when I clicked the pylon. was playing DH).

I had my necromancer proc cheat death while in templarā€™s cheat death immunity bubble. But that mightā€™ve been a double proc, canā€™t remember much now.

This has happened to me also with templar.
Templar cheat death procs and I lose some health while shield pylon is active.
But hasnā€™t happened when there isnā€™t follower cheat death available.

I have stopped using the Templarā€™s ā€œGuardianā€ cheat death skill and changed it instead to ā€œInspire.ā€ It triggers itself too randomly, and the cooldown is far too long for it to be useful. Iā€™ve gone back to using just the standard cheat death passive.