David Brevik Interview 14. jun. 2017

The Diablo 3 and D2 Expansion 2 that never was: David Brevik Interview

4 Likes

Old news (2017) they also wanted Diablo to be turn-based claymation.

1 Like

Hey now, Marvel Heroes was at least a good idea and fun, if not horribly optimized. Playing as Captain America in a Diablo clone was great. Cant speak for It lurks Below though.

2 Likes

It was great until they decided to chase the console market and completely ignoring the PC player base. As soon as they did that, it tanked that game hard. It was sad.

I miss running around as Cap.

3 Likes

well, they created diablo, diablo 2 so right off the bat heā€™s not a one-hit wonder.
Hellgate London was one of the most advanced arpgs for its time. it was actually mindblowing. i pulled so many quality hours out of that game and i do believe itā€™s deserving of some recognition for giving gearbox all they needed for borderlands a few years later. it was something that simply didnā€™t exist at the time. they were very ambitious and pushed the envelope. itā€™s what blizzard north did. unfortunately the system requirements were very high (it looked gorgeous for 2006) and it was riddled with bugs causing it to slowly die off. it was revived over and over but couldnā€™t gain speed again. check this out Not Forgotten - Hellgate: London | The Original Looter Shooter by the Devs Behind Diablo - YouTube

i canā€™t speak to marvel heroes because i havenā€™t tried it but iā€™ll tell you brevikā€™s ā€˜what lurks belowā€™ is a gem with 9/10 on steam. so yeah, i donā€™t see how heā€™s a one-hit wonder, jay wilson in disguise.

1 Like

I hope this video broadens some peoples point of view regarding this topic.

1 Like

The claymation bit is a bit false. He liked they style if clay fighters and was considering modeling each movement but upon realizing how much work that would take that ideas went innthe garbage.

3 Likes

Meh on Hellgate, maybe Iā€™m being clouded by the bugs, but I loathed it when it came out. Marvel Heroes was bad but was a Marvel game, so people were interested.

Thing is, you can TALK a lot and sound smart.
Actually making a good game is by far not that easy. Bright ideas are everywhere - more than the game industry can ever work through - but making them work is much harder than thinking them up.

Which Brevik demonstrated well with his other projects.
Heā€™s basically a guy who to this day rides on the Diablo popularity and has never moved on.

This is NOT a good man to listen to.

Highly opinionated.
You can make a video that goes the other way around just as easily.

4 Likes

LOL OP where you in 2017 this news is ancient

2 Likes

Seems to me that devs of D4 are smart then because they are following Breviks exact words when it comes to trading, no straight checkpoint areas and open MMO which were their actual plans for D3, and yes this video was released in 2017 way before D4 announcement.
But yeah, nevertheless even if his ideas of making Diablo 1 turn based would have turned diablo into a different direction, its still HE and the Schaeffer brothers that delivered the Diablo game to even begin with, so without them you would have no Diablo and no Torchlight series (which are still a success and being worked on).
Loathing the original creator of the Diablo series paying no respect to him just like Jay Wilson. I have no words for your poluted biasism.

5 Likes

Seems to me that D4 devs are playing scared of their own audience, and falling back on known constants rather than moving forward.

At this point, Iā€™m not sure at all that D4 will be as good of a game. They are messing up too much for the sake of appearances. That plan clearly works on people like you - who listen to the words and think that theyā€™re so smartā€¦
But those are just words.
They even went as far as doing the ā€œall your favoritesā€ move with classes - instead of giving us something new and exciting. I mean, we all saw the Druid. We enjoyed it. We love it. Doesnā€™t mean itā€™s the only thing we want to keep playing forever!
To my mind, the game will be good, polished, well-built - but underwhelming feature-wise.

No wonder they are scared after reading the mass disappointment of consumer reviews everywhere in the internet with metacritic and youtube being a good example. Just like they did with Diablo Immortal and BFA. They are playing it safe promising classics because thats what the majority of Blizzards fanbase wants.
It wouldnt surprise me if in 10 years later no one asks for a D3 remake with even better gfx.

I dont know either, the gameplay video of D3 looked in 2008 way more promising than the current D3 without Mana/ressource potions (yes barbarian had mana in D3 gameplay trailer, no one expected to scrap mana for all classes and implement forced auto attack generators and kiting as ā€œressource managementā€), the promised PVP which was never balanced and implemented properly, the real money auction house trade imbalances and forced online play for a mostly SSF game experience with no real lobbys or channels like in old battle.net to be able to interact with more people.
I do hope D4 team do not follow the same D3 team politics.
I have to say Jay Wilson managed to bait pretty well the diablo fanbase with a lazy job with D3 and then just insult Brevik.
Signs of a mature developer without being able to take constructive critisism.

In this videos they discuss regarding the PVP experienceā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s bias based on you fantasizing too much about it, and fantasies are always way better than reality.

Every class with mana - way less interesting than different resources.

Potions - are just a clunky feature that overcomplicates the controls while giving nothing in return.

3 Likes

Sorry, my mistake this trailer seems to have been released to the public in 2010.

Seems if i am biased the people liking this comment are also biased.

[ The Honorable MrPrezident ] 3 years ago

why does this look so much better than diablo 3ā€¦ i like the slower gameplay, grungy gothic atmosphere, and the better animations, wtf happened??!

802 likes

It seems to me that you are a just a troll feeling the need to contradict people and to provoke to start flame wars because to the oposition of others opinions is a must for people like you and the other people posting in this thread.

I am sorry Mr-know-it-everything but it seems the ARPG genre is not meant for you since every other ARPGs use mana/spirit/ressource potions as a ressource system with D3 and the current D4 being the only exception and copying WoW ressource management.

4 Likes

Always blaming consoles.

The game was already dying when they started the console versions, hell, the money they received to develop the console versions was probably the only thing keeping it afloat.

Marvel Heroes was a fun game, but it had problems from the very start.

Marvel Heroes was fun for a bit and had great potential. Just didnā€™t quite hook me.

1 Like

ALL people are biased.
And then 90% of them donā€™t know how to tell WHEN they are biased.
So yeah. Likes are subjective.

Are you one of those ā€œanyone who disagrees with what seems obvious to me - is a trollā€ kind of people?

I am sorry to bring this to your attention, but potion use - is NOT a genre defining mechanic.

ā€œEveryone does thisā€ is not a valid argument if you want to argue that something is good. In fact, this is always a logical fallacy.

I would much rather prefer ARPG games to be different, than all of them copying Diablo 2 as much as possible. Weā€™ve already got POE. Thereā€™s nothing to be gained by making another game who follows the same ideology and implements the same set of mechanics.

3 Likes

The only draw was Marvel, the game was garbage IMO from my time spent on it early on.

No idea if this is true, but D3ā€™s generator/spender system is far superior to D2s outdated potion system.

Why? Graphics is fine. Actually the remastereds like Starcraft with their new graphics and same old clunky gameplay are a disappointment.

Why would I listen to that loser.