David Brevik Interview 14. jun. 2017

It really just shows that

1. Having good ideas does not necessarily make for a good game
  2. Game design is freaking difficult
  3. There is much more than one person behind these games

While I had a ton of issues with Hellgate, it certainly did not deserve the death it had.

1 Like

Its about staying classic and not implementing features of other games (WoW) completely changing the original gaming experience, this is why many people dislike D3 too much already.
Its just sad to see a core mechanic of D1 and D2 completely removed into D3 and D4 and every other game copying the origins of Diablo.
What you are basically asking is telling blizzard to implement even more stuff from WoW into Diablo, with the only difference of having isometric POV instead.
Diablo is Diablo, and not World of Diablo.

MMORPG=/=MMOARPG

Then tell me why Grim Dawn, Torchlight, Titan Quest and PoE keep using this system? Outdated?..lol
Old implemented mechanics does not even mean its bad mechanics.
Its just like saying the mechanism and functionality of cars or airplanes are old and therefore bad, yet still being used since their invetion to this day.

Its not only me, many people dislike the fact that you cannot use mana potions as ressource management.

You are free to listen to anyone, just saying that without him you wouldnt be even in this forum, makes sense or too hard to understand that?
0 respect like everyone in this thread to the creator of this series… people like you are sad.

3 Likes

Grim Dawn got a bunch of cooldowns instead. Its mana system is mostly useless.
PoE might as well not have a resource system, it hardly works.
D3s system is not necessarily better, I mean, D3 doesn’t really have a resource system either, since end-game itemization destroys it.
But I think the concept of generators and spenders are just fine. However, it should not be a forced system, but an option, with different strengths and weaknesses. Some builds might only use generators, some only spenders, and some weaves the two.
Only using spender or generators might likely require a lot more specific gear to work, than weaving the two of course. As long as it is not substantially more effective to do one or the other, that would be fine.

Arguably even in Diablo 2 it hardly works. Most builds wont bother putting any points into Energy and mana was still a virtually unlimited resource because potions were both cheap and unlimited from the NPCs in town.

There is no managing to be done of mana in D2. You just endlessly spam your abilities at will.

They could have removed mana and I’d barely have noticed it.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, certainly.

Then why does Mind over Matter exists to begin with in PoE?
Its basically mana shield taking magic resource as damage instead of life for casters, making them more durable instead of pure ES.

You are mainly speaking of end-game items with shako sojs, and insight RW.
But i do agree that energy points was very bad implemented it should have had another extra gain like increase spell damage per point or FCR per point instead of pure mana.
Its the same with D3 end-game items regarding CDR and resource reduction.

Certainly nothing was free spammable during the character progression and low levels during D2 and this is something that everyone seems to overlook.
The leveling process is so important to motivate the player to keep playing the game, for that reason alone i dont feel like even starting a character to reach to level 70 in D3 because i personally dont enjoy it, it feels very slow and repetitive.

Taking away player actions in the character progression through automatic mechanics doesnt not feel rewarding and motivating, its very similar to the slow repetitive grind action from WoW when you engage enemies one by one on leveling stages.
Increase at least the skill slots and the game can get at least more dynamic.

1 Like

Adding secondary uses for mana doesn’t mean it works as a resource imo.

1 Like

No I’m not.

Thanks to potions resource management is not something you have to deal with in Diablo 2. You don’t even need to buy potions all that often thanks to how frequently they drop, especially from elite monsters.

I played Diablo 2 again recently on a character with no help of any kind from other players. No rushing, no items, nothing.

The only time you can’t free spam your abilities is at the very very beginning of the game. It should be a complete non issue when you’re about half way through Act 1.

and that’s on a “Mana intensive” class like Sorceress. My Assassin didn’t even bother stocking mana potions.

So long as I can infinitely restore a resource and the mana potions restore it faster than you can use it, you don’t have to manage it.

1 Like

Indeed it does not but secondary uses add meaning to ressource management, the same can be said with heralds and another cast auras lowering your max mana.
Either spam free spells and be a glasscannon with barely survability or lower your ressource ammount to gain benefits like transform curses into auras for example with blasphemy without the possiblity to free spamm spells.

Thats not something that works with the sorceress when you are using mana shield which is something most of players will end up using for extra survability.
Plus mana potions regen are totally useless against minions in nightmare and hell that burn your whole mana on hit.

Its just a matter of balance between the different tiers of mana pots drops/vendors.
You dont always get the best tier mana/healing pots on elite monsters.

Its not infinite, even if the mana regen from pots is very high its definetely NOT infinite.
I repeat, its just a matter of mana costs and mana pots tiers balance.
Just like Path of Exile tweaks with your mana as ressource/benefits im sure D4 can do the same regarding mana.

Do not forget that mana is a global resource so any class can profit as well for items, giving them more importance being able to be used globally and not making a specific class-item only due that one wrong affix resource type for your class.
There are already class-specific items theres no need to even make more items redundant for other classes.

1 Like

One build using mana as a health pool does not suddenly mean that resource management is a thing in Diablo 2.

It’s close enough to infinite that it makes no real difference, considering NPCs in town sell infinite amounts of them as long as you have gold(and it’s not like gold is scarce or used for anything else important in Diablo 2) and elite monsters drop them like candy.

A game could make mana management a thing by balancing mana costs and potions, but Diablo 2 is not that game is the point I originally had.

I’m also not sure you want to invoke Path of Exile here considering it’s even worse than Diablo 2 is at this. All of my characters have not only no mana problems while free spamming abilities long before end game hits, I’m also reserving anywhere from 50-80% of my mana pool for passives.

The problem is the same in both games: My ability to regenerate mana far exceeds my mana consumption rate even when spamming abilities.

and that will not change so long as the game also lets me spam mana potions like Diablo 1 & 2 and PoE do.

This is pretty easily solved by having a global stat that increases secondary resource for each class.

That way you can have it on items without class locking it while also being able to balance the different numbers of each class’ secondary resource pool.

1 Like

Seriously? how difficult is it to understand that mana is just a resource, like rage, energy, hatred, or whatever they want to call them, so all that needs to be done is change mana on items to resource and problem solved.

2 Likes

“Classic” does not necessarily mean “good”. Which things like wow classic demonstrate very well. Or if you play D2 vs D3.
People do play “classic” games. And they do enjoy them.
Only the number of such people is tiny compared to modern games.

Classic, most of the time, means “morally aged and with lots of design mistakes”

Because it also works.
Because they set out to copy d2.
Because it is easier to implement.

But the fact that something works - doesn’t mean that nothing else can work, or that nothing can be better.

Doesn’t mean it’s good either.

It is boring when every game uses the same resource mechanics.

I’m sure they do.
Many other people at the same time enjoy d3 resource management better than the need to chug potions every 3 seconds.

Not true.
He’s not the only guy who single-handedly made Diablo. He was part of the team. And not the brightest one, as his other projects clearly show.
He may have contributed to Diablo, but that doesn’t mean that without him it wouldn’t have existed.

1 Like

Even in the worst case scenario, you can open instant town portal and talk to the healer in the town, and now your mana is full.

There is no resource management if your character can restore mana so quickly either with mana pot that can be gotten from everywhere easily or the insane mana regeneration that your character has.

If the game want to focus on resource management, they must get rid of mana regeneration, the mana/rejuvenation potions and item that remove mana cost or reduce the mana cost significantly from the game.

The only way to regain mana is to hit enemies with your basic attack or generator. D3 got the generator part “right” until they introduced items where you can restore your resources without a generator, and that is where D3 threw out the resource management part too.

1 Like

there’s no game vs game because both games are basically the same except poe leagues might last 1-2 more weeks than seasons.

not gonna watch the videos because I wont change my opinion regarding this topic.

Sorry mate but i disagree, inventory space for mana potions is not infinite - and yes im naming tetris inventory management as well here.

There should be indeed a balance between mana consumption but at the same time not exactly limited like D3.

Even though your idea sounds interesting, you are still are going to have a disadventage for another class in the item - making the item lesser global, even if its a smaller affix.

That sounds like a rather good suggestion… add a potion for every kind of ressource and name ressources global and theres no problem.
However i bet that many dislike the names and resource system taken from WoW.
Let Diablo be Diablo, and not World of Warcraft please.
There is no problem being innovative and improving resource system for D4, but please stay away from WoW.

Sure, youtubers comparing BFA vs Classic totally approve your statement

/sarcasm off

Its just as this guy is saying it, if WoW BFA feels like a soulless game, the same can be said at D3.

Thats right, as stated Diablo is Diablo and using WoW resource management isnt fun. Let WoW stay WoW and Diablo stay Diablo as it used to be.

Although we have no safe numbers for D3 players since Blizzard likes to hide their current playerbase numbers its clear that many already switched to PoE and will also go for PoE 2.0 instead of D4 if they implement D3 resource system.
Blizzard will not win the D2 community that they want only by looks and feeling.
A game can look amazing but gameplay mechanics are in this regard more important, and PoE already proves that.

Plain example: twitch online people watching numbers

Currently D3 RoS: 823
Currently Path of Exile: 15.684

Roughly same ammount of followers for both D3 and PoE

So sorry to disappoint you, but he was in the team of condor games (blizzard north) that fused with old blizzard which was previously founded by Mike Morhaime, allen Adham and Frank Pearce and named it Silicon & Synapse which was later renamed to Chaos Studios and later to Blizzard Entertainment.
Condor Games was a totally separate studio from Blizzard (Blizzard South) when they fused, and it was Brevik who named Diablo due to Mount Diablo (source GDC diablo postmorten in youtube) and wanted this gothic feeling for Diablo… its even said on this threads video i posted… so yes in this regard its still his core idea together with Condor games which breed Diablo to begin with.
Everyone from Condor games left in 2003 Blizz North, and even Mike Morhaime founder of Silicon & Synapse left Blizzard after 2018 Blizzard’s fiasco.
It feels like you are defending a game where you have no idea of its history to begin with mate, sorry to say.

3 Likes

um, he created the best games of all time. have you played the disaster that is d3? it’s the result of not understanding what an arpg is. if the creator of the arpg genre isn’t a good man to listen to, who is? xD

i lold, good one

3 Likes

I should also note in all my “I get by with zero problems” I don’t use up real inventory space on potions. My belt is more than sufficient.

and it’s not like I can stick a helmet I found in there.

I’m not saying exactly like D3, but if you don’t limit it in some way then it’s very likely going to be spammable with no consequences.

A lot of the D2 crowd hated the cooldown on the health potion in D3, but that would limit it as well if mana potions had one.

There wont be a disadvantage if the numbers are balanced correctly. Everybody gets an increase to their secondary resource from that stat, it’s just not always the same number because we have to acknowledge that +50 Fury may not be the same thing as +50 Spirit.

Otherwise the stat should be balanced to be roughly equally useful to every class.

He created the “best” game with the help of his team and Blizzard money. See what he had done after he left his “team” and stop relying on Blizzard funds.

In my eyes, David Brevik is just “Inafune” of the Diablo series.

1 Like

Who cares what they say? They’re free to like or dislike whatever they want.

Doesn’t change that 100x more people play retail than Classic.

The “disaster” that is D3 us a good game that I would play over D2 every time.

Don’t get me wrong - D2 was good in its own time. But side by side - D3 is just incomparably better. More features, more content, better, more polished mechanics, more build diversity - the list goes on

He was part of the large team that created one of the best games of all time - that’s more accurate to say.
Him being part of that team doesn’t mean anything. In fact, looking at his later “accomplishments” I can’t help but ask myself if Diablo’s quality is thanks to some guy who vetoed a good chunk of Brevik’s creativity.

I wouldn’t call Diablo the best game. Even in its time - it wasn’t the best game by far.

2 Likes