Daily Reminder: Wizard's Firebird is trash

Was doing Years of War Conquest, and this conquest reminded me that the trash set exists.

Cleared GR55 with Hydra Set = less than 3 minutes

Cleared GR55 with Tal Rasha Set + Non-Optimized Gear = took around 4 minutes.

Cleared GR55 with Vyr Set + Non-Optimized Gear = took around 4 minutes

Cleared GR55 With DMO + Non-Optimized Gear = took around 4 minutes

Cleared GR55 with Firebird + Non-Optimized Gear = took me 13 minutes (die a lot, and dealing pitiful damage against scattered mobs)

Seriously Blizzard, please buff Firebird in the next patch or just remove it from the game for being merciful. :frowning:

3 Likes

I really hope that D4 can move away from the constant buff, buff, buff treadmill.

3 Likes

FB stacking mechanic is awful. “In a league all its own of all the class sets in the game” kind of awful. A fire-themed wizard set SHOULD be a ****ing no-brainer. And SOMEHOW they managed to bugger it up so bad that it’s the single worst set in the entire game. And not in the ‘bad joke’ kind of way. They’ve revised and revised and revised the set INTO the garbage it is now. Just look at the 2p bonus. What the hell is the point of that?? It’s a non-bonus set bonus! Every other 2p bonus is actually useful, but, oh no, not Firebird. Its 2p bonus is reflection of just how trash the set is: “DIE! EXPECT TO DIE! OFTEN! HAHAHAHA!!! THIS IS GREAT, RIGHT?!”

6 Likes

A rework to either change Firebird mechanics (nothing overly complicated) or simplify them would be greatly appreciated. As it currently is, it’s a set that promotes clunky and awkward playstyle.

Considering Blackthorne is still in the game, I have my doubts that Blizzard will ever remove a set from a game despite how ill received it may be amongst the communities.

Well the set was made with defensive capabilities in mind, hence the 2 piece revival bonus (which used to be the 4 piece bonus). That said, I think the set revival bonus was made as a homage to the Diablo 2 unique jewels known as Rainbow Facet, as one of them had the effect of bringing down a meteor on the character’s death (this meteor didn’t revive you however).

I mean, I hate Firebird’s as much as the next guy, but I cleared GR55 in like 4-5 minutes at 500ish paragon with my Firebird’s setups. I did FB Twisters in SC and FB Chantodo’s in HC. You probably just needed to tweak your build. It’s still way worse than the other sets (my times with all the other sets were in the 1.5-3 minute range), no debate there. But it can definitely clear GR55 in less than 13 minutes.

2 Likes

If the set’s ‘defensive capabilities’ is built around this set’s autoress mechanic, the set’s designers have clearly no understanding of the game. Autoress is NOT a defensive mechanic. If you’re dying, you’re screwing up. Badly. An autoress isn’t going to fix that, and it’s not helping at all if you’re not using it either. Thus, it’s a non-bonus set bonus – if you’re using it, it won’t help. If you’re not using it, it still doesn’t help. It’s never helpful.

Well if you’re playing hardcore, then I’m sure the revival function would be a godsend. Also, never said that Firebird was build around the revival function, only that at the time of Firebird’s release (which was at the launch of RoS), Firebird was intended to be a defensive set, as out of the Wizard’s sets, it gave the greatest type of defense (Vyr had no defensive capabilities at the time, Tal-Rasha only gave 100 boost to resistance, and DMO didn’t exist back then).

Another thing to keep in mind is that set was designed when greater rifts weren’t even a thing and when sets didn’t give damage reduction, so the one who initially designed the set had no idea how the game was going to look in the future. So rather than say that the maker of the set didn’t have any understanding of the game (which is doubtful), it’d be better to say that the revival function is outdated in the game current form; although I don’t necessarily agree and instead would just say that the 2 piece bonus could use more meat to it.

You’ve missed the point: they’ve revised and revised the set INTO the garbage it is now. What it was or how the game played once upon a time is immaterial. They’ve had multiple opportunities to make it something good as it relates to the game right now, and they’ve completely bungled it. Every single time. In fact, some might even argue that Firebird gets worse with each revision.

And the revive mechanic, on a set this offensively and defensively weak, is no godsend. It’s a crutch made out of tissue paper – all show, no substance. Note that it comes with NO other elements to it, either. You get revived right where you just died and get instantly murdered again. The bonus is simply never helpful.

1 Like

Didn’t miss any point as I agree that Firebird is a horridly designed set. I can tell you that I’ve never considered Firebird’s current form to be good. I was only telling you that the revival function has always been a part of the set since it’s implementation. It’s not something that’s newly added or anything.

And yes the revival function can be a good thing, unless for some reason you don’t have any defensive buffs up, in which case it isn’t the revival that’s bad, but the defensive portion of set mechanics itself that is bad, which is indeed the case for Firebird’s current iteration. This once again falls under the fact that Firebird as a whole needs to be improved.

Hopefully they will release D4 being reasonably balanced, then we won’t have to worry about this.

The revival part is so-so. Okay, you are revived and immune, but you can’t do anything at all, not even move away! Failed design.

I think the set is okay, just add a recipe for Haedrig (each piece only needs 1 reusable parts and 1 gold), then remove it from the loot pool. We won’t see a new version anyway, so just let it rot in peace.

You can do better! I did it in HC, without dying, of course! ^^
And I think it was cruisy! ^
^
That said, yea, Firebird is trash, agreed! :slight_smile:

FB no doubt reigns supreme as the set with the most awfull mechanics. I mean, tripple stacking of a firespell against every target you want dead so you do maximum damage to that target? What is wrong with hitting an enemy with full force using only 1 spell? Towing an ignited elite around so we do max damage instead of slaughtering everything and move on? Tie not only damage, but our DR as well to the already awfull ignite stacking?

Don’t know in which order the became available but it’s like they looked at the Tal Rasha set and thought, hey, here we have a set that needs 4 different elemental skills to work, let’s now make a set that needs 4 (okay 3, but you get the drift) skills of the same element in order to work.

Never liked FB even back then when seasons were still in the single digits, but that was because I don’t like pet builds, but at least it’s damage was adequete back then. It’s an instant salvage a la Blackthorne unless you get a primal which you might consider keeping in the chance the Devs ever get around fixing this pile of junk.

[edit: spelling]

2 Likes

Wizard is basically trash now anyways. :grimacing:

The most simple and easy to do fix for the Firebird set is let enemies become ignited for ~5-10 seconds after they have been hit by only a single fire skill and let your fire skills deal increased damage against ignited enemies, regardless of how many enemies or elites are burning.

4 Piece Bonus

• Dealing Fire damage with one of your skills causes the enemy to take 3000% weapon damage as Fire per second for 10 seconds.

6 Piece Bonus

• Your Fire Skills deal (e.g.) 15.000% increased damage against Ignited enemies.
  • When you attack with a Fire Skill, you take 60% reduced damage for ~10 seconds.

—numbers are examples for the purpose of illustration and can be adjusted—

—Shout-out to Oblivion for the idea of giving the damage reduction buff when attacking with a fire skill, instead of gaining it when there is an ignited enemy around—

This would at least a temporally fix the set to make the set and its mechanics bearable. Later a more severe rework can be done.

I personally would like to have something like this with a Fire Aura that increases in size the more you attack with Fire Skills, but I would also be okay with anything that the devs could come up with, as long as it is better than the current version of Firebirds:

1 Like

Well, except for Hydra Build which I mained for this season, the rest of the wizard set builds that I was using at that time was hastily assembled without doing much research and thought (e.g. I have Arcane Torrent for DMO Wizard when I should have used Frozen Orb but thanks god I have Wicked Wind Twister skill in the skill bar so I just spammed Wicked Wind on everything) , and even so, you can tell how inferior that Firebird set when other non-optimized sets still able to clear GR55 with little difficulty. In fact, the reason why I can even clear GR55 with Firebird Wizard because I found the Pylon to spawn the almighty Shadow Clone before the Rift Guardian spawned. :smiley:

1 Like

One of your worst posts to date. Let’s not hope that Diablo 4 moves away from the balance, balance, balance that d3 did.

Let’s face it. Patch notes are a joke.

Imo it would be better to have your damage reduction bonus to casting a fire spell, not igniting an enemy. Damage bonus could be tied to igniting an enemy, but have it so where it’s durational based, so if the enemy died, you still keep the damage bonus.

For example:

Numbers could be adjusted, but this suggestion should remove most the terrible and clunky mechanics (elite dragging and needing multiple fire spells to ignite for example), while still keeping the ignite theme and such. Now if we’re to disregard certain factors (like the set dungeon), I also have a rework idea on that same thread (actually plenty of rework ideas can be found in the wizard forums by other players as well), however as it’s unlikely that we’ll see the set dungeons drastically changed or removed, I doubt a major rework would be happening, so I won’t post that idea here.

Never mind, a major rework to Firebird would definitely be possible even after taking the set dungeon into consideration.
The Primary Objectives for Firebird’s set dungeons are:

• Ignite or Kill 20 enemies within 3 seconds 6 times (you completely ignore igniting enemies and just simply killing them)
  • Hit 50 different enemies with the meteor that revives you

Since the first objective allows you to choose between either igniting the enemies or killing them, it’s certainly possible to get rid of the igniting mechanic of the Firebird set and make a minor adjustment to the set dungeon where you just need to kill the enemies (or at least make an adjustment to the wording of the Primary Objectives).

2 Likes

trsh for grifting but its the easiest set dungeon for wiz :joy:

Yes, this indeed would be better than having an enemy ignited first, I concur.
I’ll edit this into my proposal with a shoutout to you.

ty

D3 would actually be better if they just remove set dungeons, at elast as a requirement for the season journey.

1 Like