[D4] Toggle on/off option for displaying itemisation stats changes when equipping gear

You mean you would rather plug numbers into a calculator to figure out which item is better?

Issue is that it is objectively better to have more of certain stats in D3 (e.g. Crit damage and chance, except for say Shimizu builds), so there is actually no room to “think and experiment” here. Simply a case of the more the merrier.

What we might actually want for D4 is to do away with these uncreative stats (crit cough cough).

1 Like

I believe you would not even need to do any maths if damage numbers (as you have just stated) with CHD are kept low.

I mean, you actually already got your stats sheet bound right besides your inventory to compare gear when you equip/unequip items, so yeah i believe these red/green indicators are not optimal for game design.

But i really wish that they expand the affixes list to be able to gain strenghts only certain kind of gear can give you and not all items have mostly about the same primary and secondary affixes for every category of items.

Every game involves killing your enemies before they kill you, but you can also run away from enemies in WoW. On top of this, a number of classes and even one race have a way of making enemies forget about them.

Sorry man but every time I get into a “Diablo has become WoWified!” discussion with anybody around here all it does is highlight just how little about WoW some people around here know.

1 Like

Honestly, and I may just be horribly biased from PC, I feel like the game is worse on console (Switch) than it is on PC. The targeting system for controllers is better than PS1 (Diablo was made into a PS1 port, right?) but is still clunky >.>

Well, cant blame it when the company implements many similarities from another game into the other, mostly of this has been as you stated the cartoonish graphics, but the addition of cooldowns and restricted use of spells was never a thing in D1 or D2.
Its clear that your argument about level cap in D1 is 50, but they copied the exact level 60 of wow into D3, and also added another 10 extra levels to 70 with RoS like they always do with WoW add ons.
D3 RoS has really changed now compared to vanilla times, and some changes have been arguably better but IMHO other worse (like the ridiculous high drop rate of items), but i do remember vanilla times being the case where it was the same hit and kite schedule as WoW.
I never played WoW much because it was not my kind of game, but i do remember how it was when i played a bit in TBC.

I mean, adding that roll function in console for D3… i dont even know what to say about it.
It is kinda funny that they even implement such a feature in an ARPG and the same time it looks totally weird being the only ARPG i have known having such a roll function.

The PS1 Diablo version was horrible though, i totally agree that the PC version was way better, but it seems there is someone in this forum that actually played the PS1 version, but i dont know if it was for preference or not.

The thing is that most of the similarities went from Diablo 3 into WoW, not the other way around.

Also while they weren’t very long, a few abilities in Diablo 2 do actually have a cooldown.

On top of that cooldowns in Diablo 3 are meant to be spammed on cooldown every single fight, while in older WoW most of your cooldowns are meant to be more tactical because they’re much longer than they are in Diablo 3.

Lay on Hands has a 1 hour cooldown in Classic WoW for example. That’s not a spell you spam on cooldown. Even some of my “shorter” ones like Divine Shield that’s on a 5 minute timer wasn’t something to be used every fight.

Sure the level cap in D3 was exactly the same as it was in Vanilla WoW but if all you have is “the number is the same!” that’s a pretty damn weak argument that the entire game has been turned into WoW just because a mechanic that existed in Diablo 1 was set to the same number as WoW.

Also WoW isn’t all about “hit and kite” either. There are cases where you want to do it sure, but there are cases where you want to do that in Diablo 2 as well.

It’s fair enough that WoW isn’t your kind of game, but maybe then don’t go around talking about the finer details of how the gameplay works because you clearly don’t know.

It’d be like somebody who never got past Normal trying to tell you all about how Diablo 2 works. More than likely they’d just get 95% of it wrong.

And none of those are longer than 3 seconds compared to some cooldowns from 15 secs up to 2 mins cooldowns regarding D3 “ultimates”.

i dont remember having longer much longer cooldowns with the rogue i created in WoW.

Sure, and which game started with the portrait top left corner? its the exact same resemblance from WoW in there.

There are similarities though, how resources were implemented from the warrior like into the barbarian or melee classes and how you dont use mana potions in fight (until level 41in WoW) like you always did in D1 and D2 from level 1 onwards.
And even this combat potion got a really long cooldown in WoW, so yeah long cooldowns is a thing in both D3 and WoW, its clear that influences are taken from both games.

1 Like

6 seconds actually.

Depending on how high of a level you got to, you should have had some 5 minute cooldown spells which is more than twice as long as your upper limit of 2 minutes from Diablo 3.

Rogues had quite a few cooldowns in the 5-10 minute range, which is more than sufficient to knock them out of “Use this every fight” like you do in Diablo 3.

Oh no, not a UI element!

Barbarian Fury works nothing like old school Warrior rage did. Maybe it’s similar to how rage in BfA works, but that change was implemented after Diablo 3 did it.

Also while 41 is an oddly specific number and I’m guessing you’re thinking of potion from the PvP vendor I assure you that you could use mana potions well before level 41.

Half the reason my Priest was an Alchemist in Classic was to start crafting myself mana potions, among other kinds of potions, from the time I got outside of the starter area.

Also the health potion in Diablo 3 works quite a bit differently from how they work in WoW.

Both games have cooldowns longer than 6 seconds but that’s where the similarities end. They implement cooldowns in completely different manners.

What’s clear is that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

1 Like

Not at all.

I’m convinced GGG just can’t get it right.

They have tried many times over the years to improve it, and they have, but it still feels like :poop:

Since they are staying in the same engine, the combat is going to feel the same no matter what they do.

That there, is why I stopped playing it. I revisit every few seasons, but quit shortly after because it’s still the same.

As for the topic…

I fully support an option to turn item comparisons on/off.

Win/Win, so why not.

2 Likes

Never claimed otherwise.

And you think thats a weak argument? For someone used to cooldowns like you sure, but dont throw longer cooldowns into Diablo when you never grew up with it and forced them in D3.
Its a reason big enough to not play the game at all you know.

Thank you mister WoW pro, i already told you i did not play WoW much but kind reminder that mana was a global resource for every class in D1 and D2 and it seems mana isnt the only resource present to cast abilities in WoW.
I remember using energy which restored automatically over time (in combat) in my rogue and never used any mana potions during my leveling stages until lvl 30.
Now if this is not something similar how automatizised mana restoration works like on wizzard then you totally lost me man.

Whatever, you are clearly the WoW pro here, not gonna keep argumenting how there are indeed influences in both games, while combat might not be so similar like you claim in the end.

Thanks for supporting this :+1:

1 Like

Saying Diablo turned into WoW because of having cooldowns above 6 seconds is like saying DIablo 3 is still just like Diablo 2 because it has loot with randomized stats on it.

The Diablo 2 fans like yourself would be tripping over themselves to tell me all about how “they’re not anything alike” if I tried to claim that.

Yet when it comes to WoW the slightest similarity and you go “See? It’s just like WoW!”.

If you want to insist that Diablo 3 is nothing like DIablo 2 because all the finer details are different then me doing the same for WoW is fair game.

Are there some things you can point at that probably were taken from WoW? Sure, and there are things that aren’t just cosmetic too. Arcane Power may have a few things not exactly the same as a Rogue’s Energy but yeah, they work very similarly to each other.

but my point is that to claim that Diablo was ruined by the influence of WoW is just being dishonest, especially coming from the group of people who insist Diablo 3 is nothing like Diablo 2 because of all these finer details.

but when I start bringing up the finer details of how WoW works, you go “Oh well they’re still similar. There’s still influence there”.

By that logic, Diablo 3 has a lot of influence from Diablo 2.

Slightest similarity? Cooldown the only similarity? Not buying it. See other similarities listed previously. It’s like a WoW hero got warped into Sanctuary. Even if it is just an aesthetic similarity (which it’s not, the skill bar feels like WoW to me too along w lvl 70), aesthetically it’s a striking resemblance to WoW and doesn’t look like it should be in Diablo. I hate the size and scale of the game, it’s nothing like D1 or D2; it’s a clone of WoW. I don’t want to focus on how cool my character’s animations look when I press 1 on the skill bar, I want to see my surroundings and plan my moves.

You know, there is a thread (which I stayed out of cause it’s D3 related and not D4) about the ladder and somebody asked something like “I know there’s a ladder in D2 but I have no idea what it’s for.”. Well listen up young gamers, gather close ye teenagers and listen to some life experiences from a millenial. Back in the day in D2 the level cap was 99 and the ladder tracked the highest level characters (cause high 90s is hard to get to) :scream:

It’s like that’s what Blizzard knows how to make (WoW) so they decided to build on their strengths and left the Diablo universe behind and created WoW Diablo.

I enjoy WoW, but I prefer Diablo. This new one though is between the two, a psuedo WoW psuedo Diablo. It doesn’t feel as good as either of the other two games.

You’ve only run 22 GR’s???

Yes. Because you collect them all and they are pretty useless until you actually start upgrading them. They aren’t supposed to be rare drops, but instead designed to assist the player in the end game.

Edited: Wow dude. After reading your explanation on how you think the gems work it’s really obvious that you haven’t played the end game very much at all.
(Narrator: they don’t work like that)

Very.

Except nobody can come up with a decent list of things that Diablo 3 cloned from WoW without it being very easily debunked.

Like I said, the hardcore D2 fans love to rush to tell you about how wrong you are if you claim that D3 and D2 are similar because of some surface level stuff. They’ll go on and on about the finer details of D2 like every last pixel is absolutely vital to how the game plays.

and if you want claim they’re nothing alike cause of that then by all means, but then it’s fair game that I get to do the same when it comes time to compare the game to World of Warcraft.

Sure people might be able to point out a couple of things, but I can point out even more things it shares in common with Diablo 2.

I think a person could come up with similarities between games for a looong time. This is like reading every number between 0 and 1.

I guess we will agree to disagree. I’ve played a few expansions of WoW and enough D3.

I agree with that. I’m a Hardcore D2 fan myself, but D3 and WoW are nothing alike.

That’s the point though.

We can come up with similarities between the games all day long, and there will be quite a bit considering all 3 games are technically RPGs.

but people want to act like the finer details are very important to say that Diablo 2 and 3 are nothing alike, while also ignoring those finer details to claim D3 is just a WoW clone.

You might as well say that Call of Duty is a Deus Ex clone because they’re both played in first person and you can shoot people.

What, are you another forum poster that will also force me to play D3 to farm thousands of paragon levels with no difference in GRs except on numbers?
No thank you, im not repeting dozens of bounties to be able to empower riffs just for that reason alone, you can stay in the wagon of paragon players that love them.

Clearly stated that already, or just TLDR?
I did start end game content and ill repeat: i reached about GR 40 but, no thanks man. D3 improved end game over the years but the repetitive content is not a motivation to keep me hooked like running in a hamster wheel grinding paragon levels.
And rather than keep derailing offtopic into legendary gems/endgame like the D3 community audaciously did how about you stay in topic?

I doubt you’ve ever even accumulated 100 paragon levels.

See again you don’t even know what you’re talking about. You don’t need any bounties to run rifts.

I just find it fascinating how you constantly seem to tell everyone your thoughts on this game when it’s totally obvious you don’t know what you are talking about.

So if you want to continue to argue your points on the finer parts of D3, maybe you should actually play enough to even form a proper opinion first?

I have many issues with D3 as well and am a big D2 fan, but my arguments come from experience, not from pulling them out of my butt. You discredit yourself when you make bad faith arguments like that.

2 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes