D4 lvl system— Diablo is not Wow

I do understand the need for a continuous progression, I’d also enjoy one.

But Rifts and additional raw power create a linear number inflation making pvp impossible to balance and inconsistent world building. Can’t progression simply be a constant seek of smaller improvements ? Once leveling up becomes slower, one can focus on secondary affixes instead of main stats to increase through items or looking for the highest rolls.

More variables as limiting factors
For example, I like the idea of working around character’s limiting factors and weak points. Like getting the right motor oil, transmission or coolant liquid.

As inspired from Thorodan’s interesting long list of affixes:

One could have a list of affixes to play with, the idea is competitive depth, giving specializations and weaknesses to characters, and an room for smaller and smaller improvements as we reach top levels. Fast hit recovery was in d2 an example of limiting factor, but they can exist in many different and horizontal ways. For example :

• Stag-bar recovery speed
  • Resistances
  • Reducing cast animation time
  • Increased influence benefices from weather
  • Increased duration the horse can ride without fatigue

The goal is to

• prevent players from focusing only on their strengths and maximizing main stats. Which would benefit to both diverse PVE and PVP.
  • is an incentive to change gear in regards to the situation.

Easy to learn, difficult to master
In my opinion and as camvince said, the key is to disable the full list at the beginning of the game. But only enabling and displaying them as we progress.
And even at later stages, while the competitive player cares, casuals don’t have to care, they can just be slower. Though at some point in the game, they might have to care if they really want to invest in the game. This is good to prevents number inflation of main stats.

A bit like starches and proteins suffice for the everyday basics, but at some point the body will need vitamins minerals or cause dysfunction.

So it is essentially an idea to prevent damage inflation while keeping a compact and challenging leveling system.