[D4] Lore speculation

Guess it’s different to be a ghost of a Nephelem mage, or a plain mortal. If they can come up whit a reasonable back story so we could have the ghost of Cain in D4, i’m down for it. But I guess his love for Leah, would driven his spirit mad, when he found out that she’s dead.

Imagine the D4 writers put up a demon taking the form of Cain and making up a story how he got saved with later the player finding out the truth haha. That would be a sight to see KEKW.

Yep, that’s the only way I can see Cain making a return in the flesh:

That’d be far more interesting than simply resurrecting Cain.

I wouldn’t call it interesting. It would be a joke. Cain as a spirit would be fine however. That would bring some comfort in the player base suffering for Cain’s fate in D3.

I wouldn’t either. But it would be more interesting than Cain simply reviving in the flesh.

As for Cain returning as a spirit or ghost, that’d only be possible if his soul hadn’t been consumed by Malthael. Although, considering that we never saw his ghost in the pandemonium fortress, I’m thinking his soul was consumed.

If you can add lore to a fiction then everything is possible. Games better focus on gameplay and leave the stories for the books.

Sure if you don’t care for lore consistency.

Some speed racers do not care about the lore, all they want to do is get from point A to point B as fast as possible. Just to rinse and repeat. I would rather see how the story develops as I play the game at my own pace.

On this I disagree. While it is true that in video games gameplay is king, a good story elevates the games to a higher level. See the Witcher 3 for example. If we are being honest, that game’s gameplay is not that good. However the main story and side quests are so well written people forgive the jank combat.

EDIT: as a side note, if I could get Blizzard to bring a character back it wouldn’t be Cain, but Leah. For whatever reason I always felt that there was some story threads missing with her story that would be addressed in a later expansion. Which of course they didn’t.

Quality of lore is more important than its consistency, especially when we talk fantasy and series aka D1, D2 etc.

Okay, but if one is there for the story only why not just watch it on YT/Twitch? You won’t get more information regarding the story from playing the game yourself. The same with reading a book and listening to someone reading it (punctuation tells aside).

With gameplay on the other side there is always something extra that stays hidden for you while watching and is revealed when you actually start playing.

I mean if the lore loses consistency, then it’ll also lose it’s quality. So they’re both important. Diablo series for the most part have been consistent with it’s lore, and as such has some good quality lore imo.

He didn’t say that he was only playing for the story. He said that having a good story helps enhances the game, which is true, at least for those who care enough about the story. Now if you don’t care for the story or lore, that’s fine, just know that others don’t share that view.

3 Likes

Not necessary. If current lore is meme then losing consistency would most probably raise quality.

Sure, but why play the game at all if it isn’t top quality when you can get the story from YT for free?

Not everyone is a negative Nancy or Debbie Downer. D4 will be top quality.

As I said before some of us want to experience the lore unfold as we play the game. It is part of the game.

I’m guessing from this that you consider that the Diablo lore is currently a meme then? If so, I won’t say much further since that’s your opinion.

I mean Diablo 4 isn’t even out yet, so… I honestly don’t know what point you’re trying to make here.

That’s apparently a foreign concept for some folks.

I am talking generally. I don’t follow Diablo story at all.

Okay, but if the game you play turns out to be crappy, finding out the whole story on YT will save you a lot of time and nerves, no?

Actually, no. It’s just an immature concept/habit, but to understand this you need to have more experience with gaming and/or stories. The logic is simple: the moment one finds the gameplay/story to be crap, it’s better to quit it immediately. This however requires experience/knowledge to be able to properly categorize whether the gameplay and/or story is of proper quality for you.

And the above principle applies to everything in our lives when we make decisions if you think about it. The more information we have on a topic the faster we can decide whether something is useful for us.

I know you are from the future, any chance you are Bravata’s child? All the crazy reasonings you come up with are just a cringy as mist of his posts.

Well, very little purpose then in further discussing then. Have a good day.

The thread is about D4 lore, if you do not follow it your points are moot.

1 Like

The general principles I wrote can be applied to D4 as well. D4 is a game like any other. There is nothing special about it in terms of how the gameplay is structured or the story is told.

That would be true if there is something special about D4, for example interactive/AI-based story. But there is no such thing.

I kind off agree with you on this. If you don’t like something, then wasting precious free time is kind of pointless. However I think this is more of a grey area than you think it is. Again taking the Witcher 3 as an example, I though the gameplay was absolutely jank and easily abusable, however I found the story compelling enough to keep playing. Would I have a easier experience I had just watched a playthrough on youtube? Maybe.

Still, I wanted my to experience that story on my own, direct it myself and have the “choices” I made while playing “matter”. Ergo I was motivated enough to play it. Even if I had to keep playing the jank combat and wound up exploiting the system.