[D4] Itemization Ideas ⚔

Hi all!

I’d like to stress how important it is to have nice, interesting and unique items in Diablo, as they play a big part on the power of a character and they represent one of the goals in game, the item hunt.

Here are a few ideas I find cool.

• Normal Items

The most common kind of item, they offer raw stats and have no enchantments on them. Weapons offer a range of damage and armor offer an amount of defense.

There are tiers of each type of item. The more you progress in the game and the tougher the monsters become, the more tiers are available to be found.

They can be used later in the game to imbue/enchant stats on them or crafting.

• Magic items

They are the blue items, they can have a prefix, a suffix or both taken from the affixes pool. The more you progress in the game the more affixes are available. Weapons and offensive slots have much more chance to spawn offensive affixes. Armor and defensive slots have much more chance to spawn defensive affixes.

• Rare items

Traditionally the yellow items. Scarcer than the blue magic items.
This items are superior to the magic items in the number of affixes they can spawn. Minimun 3, max 6. It’s mix of prefixes and suffixes with a minimum of 1 of each.

• Legendary items

Traditionally the golden uniques or orange legendaries. These items are very rare and have a unique set of affixes that might have a range in the values but are always the same. Some properties found on these items can’t be found in magic or rare affixes. Or maybe similar affixes can spawn in magic and rares but the value on these is not found in the range those affixes normally spawn in magic and rares. Or maybe it is a weapon that besides offensive stats have defensive stats too that normally aren’t seen on weapons.

• Ancient items

Similar to the legendary/unique items, probably more powerful stats and epicness, they are assembled from very rare parts and devices and materials found throughout the world. Assembling one should feel like completing a high end runeword in D2.

Example -> The Grandfather.

You need to find the hilt, the blade, a gem, and some oil/essence/blood and assemble them at a blacksmith for some amount of gold. Not easy at all to complete but the reward should be worth it without being game-breaking or being perceived as mandatory to do well.

Items like: Azurewrath, Windforce, Dreamflange, Lightforge, Wartraveler, Doombringer, Eaglehorn, Wizardspike, Cranium Basher, Harlequin Crest, Veil of Steel, Demonspike Coat, Naj’s Light Plate, Silks of the Victor, Mang Song’s Lesson, Jalal’s Mane…

Additionally and in similar fashion to the D3 follower lore or set dungeons, once completed a portal could spawn somewhere as long as you are wearing the item to learn more about the lore behind these items, their original owners, battles where they were used, etc.

• Soulbound items

These can be a subset of set/legendaries/ancient, or maybe even the announced mythic items. They have a base set of affixes and stats. Their true power develops the more you wear them and achieve milestones with them equipped, gaining new stats/affixes or upgrading existing ones. Only 1 milestone/goal active at a time. Once achieved the next one unlocks until you reach the last. They can be upgraded 3-4 times.

Milestones could be something like:

• Deal 3000 fire damage
  • Kill 20000 fallen
  • Take 2000000 lightning damage
  • Finish 5 Tier 4 keyed dungeons
  • Buy an item from every NPC in some area of the world
  • Talk to every NPC in some town
  • Pick up 40000000 gold
  • Drink 500 potions
  • Kill 100 monsters in 1 minute
  • Kill 777 treasure goblins
  • Spend 7 days travelling while mounted
  • Kill every boss in an area
  • Find and identify 50 legendaries
  • Assemble 3 other ancient items
  • Kill 30 different other players
  • Agree a trade with 10 other different players
  • Prevent 10000 damage
  • Activate a shrine at night while raining on an odd day in certain dungeon

The progress attained through these milestones is reset if you equip them on another char.

• Set items

The green ones. Their rarity should be the same as legendary. They are items useful on their own but wearing more pieces of the same collection grant extra bonuses but nothing too crazy. Max 3-4 pieces per collection.

The affixes

Tiers of affixes for defensive, survivability, utility and offensive stats.

Weapons should have much higher chances to spawn offensive stats.

Armor pieces should have much higher chances to spawn defensive stats.

Pure caster weapons should have only stats related to casting and not melee weapon stats. (Sorc)

Hybrid caster weapons could have both melee and caster stats. (Druid)

Examples:

• +x to single attribute
  • +x to all attributes
  • +x to a single resistance
  • +x to all resistances
  • +x to defense
  • +% dmg
  • +x cold/fire/poison/lightning/… dmg (with actual effects)
  • +x to a single skill
  • +x to 2 skills
  • +x to 3 skills
  • +x to all skills/class skills
  • +% to fire/cold/poison/lightning/… skill dmg
  • +% increased attack speed
  • +% increased projectile speed
  • +% increased cast speed
  • +% faster hit recovery
  • +% movement speed
  • +% health regeneration
  • +x max health
  • +% resource generation
  • +x max resource
  • duration to cc effects/debuffs on you reduced by %
  • critical hits have a % chance to freeze for x seconds
  • enemies you poison have their armor reduced by %
  • burnt enemies lose 1% of their maximum/current health every second
  • gain % increased armor when you are stunned/frozen/burnt
  • ranged attacks grant you an absorb shield for % amount of the dmg dealt for 5 seconds
  • attacks have a % chance to cast a determinate effect (item-only skills maybe)
  • being damaged have a % chance to cast a determinate effect (item-only skills)
  • socketed (x)
  • % increased chance to find magic items (^__^)
  • % increased gold find
  • % dmg reduction
  • % elemental dmg reduction/absorb
  • % chance to fear/blind/stun/slow for x seconds on hit
  • attacking enemies have their attack speed decreased by %

Well, these are my ideas, I might develop more about them. Feel free to comment and add of your own.

Have a nice day.

6 Likes

Well you repeated a lot of, what everybody, even the devs, already knows

3 Likes

Well, if some things are being repeated constantly it’s a good sign that that’s the way to go or the ideas to keep. Right?

1 Like

Yea but its rlly not neccessary to explain ppl, what common, magic, rare and unique items are xD

1 Like

haha :smiley:

Well, given that their definitions seem to be blurred in D3 or straight forgotten or distorted, I think it is a good practice to go back to the roots and definition of them.

I’d like to avoid this if at all possible. If there are ‘improved legendaries’ I’d like it to not be a directly linear improvement.

However, this in a vacuum sounds great. It’s like a chase item with a progress bar, the progress bar being what parts you have found.

1 Like

It helped me, because I thought Normal- items you salvage for matts, Magic- Items you salvage for blue matts, and Unique- Items you salvage for yellow matts.

2 Likes

I kinda like the idea of “unspecified items” not being the strongest necessarily, but usable somewhat to fit your playstyle perhaps maybe the most

For ex. you pick up an unspecified weapon and have like 3 minutes to “spec it” into something. For your most used skills there’s a bar that’s slowly ticking down but each time you use it you gain a “chunk”, the more full bars you fill during that period the more the bonus for that particular skill

Say for example you gain an “unindentified orb” for the Sorc that has +1 baseline to fireball… You could continue filling up that bar of + to fireball further on (if good enough and efficient enough could fill up that bar even to +4 if need be), or if you could simply use other skill from scratch

You might find an “unspecified” sword and each time you autoattack as a barb you gain a “chunk” for the “decaying bar” down beow, each new bar filled means you’ll gain +1 extra damage on the autoattack…

At the end of the run of such an item you could either choose one of the skills you filled (for ex. you might have +3 to fireball and +2 to Meteor but you prefer the meteor, you pick the meteor bonus and the fireball bonus just goes into a % to deal extra fire damage per cast), OR simply salvage the whole item into a jewel of a certain skill (+3 to fireball) that you could use on another socketed item (for a greater price ofc, perhaps even downgrading the tier of the item with the socket though)

OFC. filling those bars won’t be as easy and the more bonuses you gain the greater the decay… But - could be something really “specific” for you, like, you run a certain dungeon “undergeared” (i.e. weapon with not specified power/s) and “leveling up your weapon” in a certain way you’d like to

As game/difficulty progresses on you might gain weapons with 2 slots of unspecified powers, or even 3 at the very late game… You get the idea though :slight_smile:

Not sure if “soulbound” would provide enough diversity to players tbh, sounds like something that you’d do exclusively in late game for a longer-term goal… Would kinda prefer if “craft your own” weapons were good/decent but not necessarily “best” items in the game though tbh

1 Like

Well, rare items can surpass legendary/ancients in regards to regular stats, while legendary/ancient items will have unique properties.

i.e.
rare gloves may get 50% IAS
legendary/ancient items will max out at 25% IAS but they may make your skill work differently or offer certain procs unique to them.

why no special powers on magic or rare items?
tbh some of the powers in d3 and even the d4 demo do not feel legendary and this will probably “again” lead to xx% useless items if they are not properly adjusted or have some kind of synergy…

1 Like

They could leave the less powerful for legendary, more powerful ones for ancient (instead of be versions of legendary this would be their own kind of items, and the affix would be an ancient affix).

And the best ones for mythic items, instad of have 4 legendary affixes, and call it mythic affix. I understand the idea of mythic item is to give 4 legendary affixes and make it unlikely to get the right combination but they could do something like that with the other affixes (no legendary) of that item.

White items could be a template for a crafted item, maybe rune words. Or at least give extra sockets and/or other in-game features that allow to customize them to make our own items.

The affixes of magic items should have bigger values than any other item (except mythic, and maybe equal to ancient) but less affixes, but maybe more sockets than other items (except white).

Blue items would be a blend between customization and high value affixes.

This ones should have as many affixes as the legendary items but no legendary affix. This items are good for diversity of affixes.

I like your idea of make it a crafted item, but i wouldn’t give them more powerful affixes than legendary, just a better special affix (ancient affix).

I would like some version of this too. I think Median XL does something like this but i never played it.

You should check out “itemization” from mr. Llama on youtube

1 Like

Noxious

No heart feelings but Mr Llama’s videos are super terrible. Besides, why wouldn’t the devs try something new ? :thinking:

He’s super fanboying D2 itemization which is surely superior to the Crit-spam “fiasco” that D3 vanilla itemization was., BUT still, that’s not like a “holy script” to what must be done ffs

I’d rather have the devs try something new, it’s been 20 years since D2, let 2000 be 2000, 2020 needs something new

IN addition - Mr Llama is super terrible at explaining anything to anyone. It’s like a Goebbels propaganda kind of “broadcast” where he doesn’t have any intention what-so-ever to communicate to anyone beside his “army” of followers… That being said:

Instead of explaining how/where D3 did wrong he continues endless blabble of how good D2 was… And the funny part is he SOMEHOW finds a way to “connect” D2 with Starcraft BW (somehow) and continues to “explain” how competitive environment D2 was by explaining how things in SCBW worked lol

And yes, he has an ARMY of admirers behind him, but at the end of days the equivalent of having MrLlama “lead” the new game design philosophy is like letting Destiny (or Avillo) be in design of SC3 tbh… Dude’s SUPER BIASED and super limited in any type of “what’s good”

That being said:

Devs need a FEEDBACK where things got wrong and lessons of mistakes to not repeat, NOT demands to what they should though :thinking:

1 Like

His videos are informative and content a lot of important points

THAT’s quite subjective tbh

The way it seems to be he can’t bring anything clear, instead uses some weird analogies that only he or people with his mindset (IMO) could understand

As far as I’m concerned I can show you a vid where a teenager player does a better job at explaining things lol

YES, we get it there were terrible design decisions, but really noone a 42 minute vid of explaining how good RuneWords were in D2 (or chugging 7 rejuv potions in 3 seconds) tbh

SUPER subjective talking points IMO, he goes far too much of a distance to explain things emotionally instead of calm & collected talk

But then again, I’m simply biased against the dude, not cause he’s not relevant source (ofc. he is) but because he’s (AGAIN) super biased (and perhaps even limited in vision) IMO

1 Like

What are you saying :frowning:
He is a very eloquent llama :<

Well xD
The problem might be, he is talking to his community and they understand what hes talking about
But i guess, blizzard devs can understand it too and thats the important part :smiley:

Exactly my point… Well, kinda harsh on wording :thinking: but you should get it though

Hope this is the case, only would like them keep an eye open to potential/space to what could be changed/improved… The lead guy gives me a bit of “meh” vibe (not a fan of managers overhyping things from start,… somewhat), but having quite a bit of faith in the “background squad” of devs though :slight_smile:

i think they already saw those videos cuz they got posted multiple times here and on reddit…

@Dustan in your scenario legendary items would be useless…
just as example why would anyone want an item that spawns a hydra with 5% chance on attack somewhere random on the map out of reach with crappy dmg when everything is already dead and you move on?
(watch some d4 demo’s and how the lightning trap or hydra spawns)

compare that to d3 items like serpent sparker vs skycutter and why one is ok and the other crap…

I like the idea stated earlier in the thread of items that require the acquisition of several different parts to create a single powerful item. Reminds me of some of the later castlevania games and could very well be an endgame activity in itself which we are missing a variety of in D3. Sort of like the hellfire ring/amulet but with dozens of items to craft/hunt depending on what item you’d like to create.

2 Likes