[D4] HERBS. Anyone notice them on map?

It looks like we can pick herbs in D4. Look at the map and the little red bush next to her. 5:50

5 Likes

Interesting.
Maybe has something to do with crafting or a quest?

2 Likes

They really want to make it into an MMO :rofl:
Guess it could be fine, considering how much I have argued for potion crafting being one of the primary crafting systems… Not sure flower-picking should be part of it though.

4 Likes

Wow, I didn’t notice this. I think this is a very cool addition to the franchise. There’s nothing wrong with doing things other than killing mobs. :ear_of_rice:

5 Likes

Nice catch! Yep, definitely “pickable” since it’s on more than one spot.

Nothing wrong with this as long as it’s not mandatory for something exclusively gained only this way, but it may turn out to be following their PvP philosophy.

Personally I think it could be cool if they did it right. Don’t make too much to gather where it feels like a common occurence and colectathon, but make it enough that if you are exploring you could find a handful for sure to craft potions with. Maybe different parts of the world have different colors/types and can be used to craft potions rather than spending money on them. I don’t want the crafting to go too crazy, but maybe a red plant makes a regular health potion, then you mix it with a blue plant from a snowy area and it make you regenerate 50% of your resource orb as well (like a rejuvenation potion).

4 Likes

i think it’s perfectly fine for something to be exclusively gained this way just like other items, bonuses and cosmetics can be gained in their exclusive ways. In fact, if it doesn’t do something exclusive or special then it’s absolutely pointless. I completely disagree with this new thinking - “Everything has to be catered to the way I want to play. I want all of the rewards to be available to me, without going out of my way to work toward something in a different way”. Sometimes you have to bounce around to receive new things or experiences and this draws parallels to real life as well.

Maybe through slicing up herbs along your journey, you’re able to make a specific talisman you otherwise wouldn’t have been able to make. If someone skipped the herbs, too bad for them. No talisman. Maybe the herbs are “Nightshade” poisonous plants that improve the Rogue’s poison daggers. If you don’t grab them, you don’t get what they reward, just like not stopping for shrines or gear that dropped.

Why is it “ah no, we have to give the same reward to everyone for doing the single thing they want to do”?

2 Likes

It would be fine if you don’t have to go around the world map to collect these on purpose. Otherwise it’s not, Diablo is not Minecraft. If that’s a system for a specific character it would be okay, but otherwise forcing every player to do an activity a 6 year old can do, should not be included.

What do you mean? Should we pick them up by mistake?

Nobody’s forced to do anything. I skip all sorts of things I don’t enjoy in games, even though they probably give me an advantage. If your goal is to be the best, you need to do all of the things that result in it, even if you enjoy some less. There are degrees of enjoyment for everyone and you need to have this variety in a game. Diablo3 taught us why variety is so important; a lesson in monotony.

A 6 year old can also click a monster, roll his fingers across 1, 2, 3, 4 for a rotation and pick up loot that dropped. According to this logic we should remove shrines or anything that isn’t mouse to monsters. I totally disagree, make each system reward us in its own way.

2 Likes

i think it could be pretty neat to have normal potions etc drop from monsters and purchable from vendors, and then you could craft potions with special effects like regenrate 8% hp for 8 sec after use. and to do this you have to find some herbs and other stuffs around the world.

I mean if it would be enough to craft whatever is locked behind this activity only with traveling through the world when I do this for other activity, it is okay, but if I have to make specific runs in say Zone with most flowers it’s a crap mechanic.

Pretty much yes - everything that a 6 year old can do should deliver a reward for a 6 year old, not a Porsche.

For me it’s fine if it’s not something like a wow profession - where you need to go out of your way to dedicate yourself to flower picking.

If it’s something like, you find the plants during your normal exploration and they are quick to pick (no more than 3 seconds), I think it will be nice.

Thats just normal.
Like how you farm Pits or Tunnels for Loot.
Or how you did Tower Runs / Field Runs for XP

2 Likes

Yep, that’s how it should be.

Doing a 6 year old activity is normal for you?

Yeah, potion crafting would be great.
To clarify, when I talk potion crafting I am not really thinking of healing pots.
More buff potions, and especially a way to target item farming.

Potion of Gloves Finding: For 1 hour you have 200% higher chance to find gloves (and all other item types have a lower chance, so you dont find more items overall, just more gloves)

Fiery Potion of Gloves Finding: For 1 hour you have 200% higher chance to find gloves, AND all items have an increased chance to spawn with the affix ‘+fire dmg’.

And so on. Those are potions used outside of combat, so can just be used from your inventory.

Might also have more traditional combat potions. Since we dont really have an action bar to place potions in, I guess these could be tied to healing potions, and work kinda like D3 healing pots. Just crafted.
Or even better, give us 2-3 potion slots/keybinds instead.

Potion of Free Action - Stun: Removes a stun effect (dont ask me how you drink a potion while stunned)
Potion of Free Action - Frozen: Removes a frozen effect

Maybe even some small combat focused buff potions too. Though they should be quite small imo. Wouldnt want to end up in a WoW like scenario where you need to farm to make flasks.
But maybe stuff like this, where it is mostly a bit of added flavor to your build/character.
Potion of Fire Armor: For 1 hour you deal 20 fire dmg to enemies who hit you

In any case, I still think I’d kinda prefer if the main ingrediencies for this kind of potion crafting comes from killing monsters. But I guess flowers could be an additonal ingredient. To limit how easy they are to make, even for people who are murdering endless amounts of monsters, requiring them to still go do something outside of key dungeons to get those potions.

A Potion of Gloves finding might require:
Dust from dismantled white gloves + the heart of an elite imp + red flower

If you want special Potions, like for the higher Key-Dungeons, than you have to do something for it. Even if its unpleasent.
Now way, that you can get it like “Yellow-Mats”, wich drop everywhere.

If you want something special, than work hard for it.

2 Likes

Proper game design is not about making the player sweat from doing idiotic stuff, it’s about making him sweat from joy. There’s not much joy in flower picking/farming/chasing/collecting. That’s a Diablo game, not some game for farmers.

And what is joy ?
To Kill a Boss you where trying for Weeks/Month
Finally getting your Hands on this one Item you chased for one Year ?
Or just dashing around and getting overthrown with Items frome left and right ?

And in the End the same thing.
I can either grind 70-90 Hours in Kurast, for 1 Rune …
Or i can grind 40-50 Hours for Potions, so that i can beat this one Key-Dungeon, wich was for 4 Month on my List.

2 Likes

In actuality, it’s probably just a quest for a villager who needs to heal his sick wife.
“Please sir! Can you help me gather this rare herb to make a potion for my Wife?”

1 Like

Certainly not collecting flowers for hours in a Diablo game.

1 Like