D4 Feedback: The List

just because 10 people here rant about wanting something like inventory tetris does not mean that a majority want it.

i think they are on a good track on what to do with the game. they for sure listen and trying to do the best.

I would have thought that the Cake metaphor would have explained it nicely …. but ….

There is no “assumption.” It is reasonable to expect feedback to be taken into consideration and acknowledged BEFORE development begins. BEFORE it BEGINS.

It is therefore reasonable to conclude that if the feedback is not acknowledged and taken into consideration BEFORE development begins, that is has been IGNORED. There is NO assumption, the OOP is following good, sound, solid reasoning.

2 Likes

But you don’t know for sure if it is being ignored.

Just because they don’t say anything doesn’t mean it is being ignored. It may stink of it but doesn’t mean that’s exactly what is going on.

Without any degree of certainty, it is clearly an assumption.

Look it be silly to tell you that is indeed what is happening, it may not be a landslide but at the moment I’m reading and seeing a lot of videos where people say they prefer Tetris but they are also okay with the current system but it feels flat on some points, for example a ring being the size of a staff etc. I’m just asking for clarification on if we should even continue to give feedback on that specific topic from a dev or if they have made up their mind about that and they are going to stick with that, because if that’s the case we can focus our feedback ok other areas. I’m not against discussing why something is better then something else, and because people think I’m biased anyways i might as well give some feedback about what I think of Tetris inventory.

• It goes against the previous installments of all Diablo games and a lot of other great ARPG out there. (I’m not saying innovation isn’t possible)
  • it breaks immersion in a way that all items get the same size. (How does a ring take up the same space as a massive axe)
  • it makes items less scannable because the size helps you find items faster. You know a ring is small so u quick scan for that.
  • it makes big items less visually impressive and gives smaller items like rings too much space. This will hurt some of the art of the game when it comes to thumbnails etc.
    -it removes a gameplay feature where that you no longer have to consider what items to put in your inventory value vs space etc. It’s just gonna be do I pick this or that not i can fit 8 rings in the space of a two handed weapon.

There are also some pro’s I guess:

• no more futzing around and shuffling around your inventory to make space.
  • more focus on combat
    (Ok look I can’t think of other positives… perhaps you got some)

The only reason I’m discussing this directly is that I want to move away from the whole op said this and it’s bad and I want to get to the discussion and most importantly to the conclusion part of some feedback elements. They don’t have to be concluded today or tomorrow but it helps a lot when there is a general consensus for a idea BEFORE you spend a lot of money and resources trying stuff out. Sharing knowledge and stuff you tried in the past and sending back feedback about presented ideas is crucial for that… else we be guessing what is even relevant for years.

Oh and I would add and this maybe is not directed at you but the above comment: a good comparison would be:

Baker: we have made you a blueberry cake, we would like to know how it tastes to u. We value your opinion a lot and want your feedback.

Customer: I really prefer strawberrys and maybe you could put it a little longer in the oven since it’s rare.

Baker: Here’s the blueberry cake again. We have no intention of making a strawberry cake but we have put the blueberry a bit longer in the oven.

Customer: but I really don’t like blueberries.
Other customer: but I like blueberries
Customer: I have been going to this baker for years and he is best at making strawberry cakes and you ask him for blue berries?

Baker: we value your feedback. Please let us know how you like the new blueberry cake.

1 Like

id say 20% of the comments instead of counting threads, would want no tetris.

Im totalty okey with rings and amulets takign 1 spot and everything else taking up 2. does not have to be more then that

1 Like

But even comparing the helmet or shoes to the breastplate looks silly

1 Like

Well I could live with that but I agree a breastplate is not the same as shoes space size… we don’t need a million different sizes, but small, medium, large seems like a good middle ground I guess?

1 Like

Just like other games do it, right?
1 square: jewellery, consumables, daggers
2 squares: 1 handed weapons
4 squares: small armor parts, shields
6 squares: body armor, big shields and weapons
Not too hard

1 Like

maybe remove the 6 slot and merge with 4 slot.

The problem is this:

https://ibb.co/0jVs95L

It looks unproportional and silly

1 Like

I think it would be perfectly fine if the equipped item slots had different sizes. So the items looks proportionate on the paperdoll.
Still see no reason that the inventory should suffer through different item sizes though :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem i see is that some players just want convenience for the sake of it and are just used to it.
Some D3 players and Developers seem to hate the philosophy of choosing to sacrifice something in order to gain something better.

The problem is that if you just keep on giving players free convenience, there is no balance on what is wrong and right and everything is just right and easy and makes the game feel too bland, there is just no feel of reward for whatever choice you make (if its a good or bad choice) and every choice you take is just reward.

I remember David Kim saying they wanted Magic Find to not sacrifice and take the slot of any other possible stronger affixes on itemization just for pure convenience, which is a terrible philosophy.

3 Likes

its no suffering
probably only for 2 headers
but yea, that would be an improvement since the huge character display is not necessary at all
but that would probably be even harder to do
changing the item size when equipping them

I don’t understand why they chose to put the character in the screen. You typically only do that when you use the whole screen for stats and you can’t see your actual character anymore. I would personally just zoom to your in game character and remove him from the character screen and blow up the items a whole bunch to show that absolutely beautiful art they did on those. I mean stunning! The art team is really nailing it.

2 Likes

Past Blizzcon they said that the tool against that would be nerfs.

They said that the team in charge of D3 was scared community reaction to nerfs, which resulted in always increasing buffs, which caused that power creep, so they would make use of reductions of the power of items instead.

While it’s always pissing that something you had becomes less powerful, I wholeheartly agree with that stance, it’s a necessary toll to pay in order to have a better game. Just lets hope that they don’t overdo the tweak downs and overpowered items become balanced but not useless, which is something they commonly did in the past.

2 Likes

You can have a point.

Either that or the equipped items showing over the paperdoll, not at sides. Your char is always present in the screen, the point of the paperdoll is showing your items, not your char, and the items being at sides focuses the importance of them off, like if they were the background.

1 Like

I didn’t catch that, I’ll add that to the feedback. Can you link me a source so I can confirm?

IIRC it was a Q&A panel 2019 Blizzcon.

1 Like

Aight. I removed that since it’s been answered.