[D4] Evade skill - animation stop frame

I have read rumors about this being included in Diablo 4 but it was such a short article. Oh here…

To add a layer of strategy to boss fights, the devs are working on a new feature they call the stagger mechanic. When players apply a crowd control effect — whether it be slows, stuns, or freezes — adds to the stagger counter bar on the boss. When the bar is filled, the boss is staggered, but this affects each boss in a different way.

D3 on consoles have a roll mechanic already and I believe it removes player collision as well and can be spammed infinitely. A limitation such as stamina is fine in my opinion. Median XL, a Diablo 2 mod, has a sprint system tied to stamina bar instead of manual dodge or running draining it. Manual dodge moves consuming some stamina, could be the middle ground for the system and doesn’t require endgame to be a time trial for restricting player at all.
Having limited stamina can limit the combat pace though. For staying relevant at the endgame, you can allow stamina pool to grow further (willpower or strength depending on class?) but add small burdens for taking damage. In example; random occuring dodges, recovery from blocking an attack or breaking away from a stagger (hitting a certain max health threshold or suffering stacked control impairment) also must drain some of the stamina as well. Even if stamina get to be abundant at late game, it drains to be rapidly filled and becomes a source that is a gameplay element.

I was thinking of a change to Diablo 3 like clueso as well, but mine was about a seventh and eighth slot; seventh one is dynamic and can be used for commanding pets/followers or using charged skills, eighth slot is just for exchanging the 4 out of 8 runic activation capable charm slots in talisman. Utility skills are nice and I don’t think it will be any clunky if executed right.

late edit: phrase structure

1 Like

DEFENSIVE, not offensive, yes we know that it’s in the game, just as mentioned above lol

What we’re discussing/suggesting about is make the Stagger mechanic for the player so that not taking unnecessary hits in combat matters, i.e. a “soft” version of hitstun on hits TAKEN (not dealt). It’s more predictable to the player that way (and rewards good play, or at least should, on paper :thinking: )

And as also mentioned, the “disable attack” (world boss loses one of it’s daggers when staggered) should probably be incorporated more than just the world boss/es, giving a nice effectiveness milestones within the combat itself

And yes, I tend to believe both of those are good ideas tbh :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The point is that movement skills on their own are just too often too good, and having an Evade Skill would mitigate their importance to a certain degree, without making them redundant.

each class would have their own Evade Ability and it would only have a limited resource available that regenerates slowly.

Leap and Leap Attack are the same.
At least I have not seen two different skills for them like in D2.

I also found it weird that they did not limit the usage of the Dodgeroll on console. Even a Dodgeroll with 3 Charges would have been totally fine, maybe even with its own icon. Spamming it felt “out of place” imo.

Median XL did two changes to the Stamina System:

1. you had to hold a button in order to sprint, so no more toggle on/off.
  2. you only had a very limited amount of Stamina available even in the endgame, and it also regenerated fairly slowly (compared to the original D2), so you only could spring sparsely.

its a default button
you cant choose to learn that skill
everyone has it
you force it on the player

It’s not weird. It’s just balanced for endgame, because you can’t possibly hope to finish the Greater Rifts in time if you were to spam roll dodges everywhere. So developers chose not to bore players for casual play as long as system is not broken somewhat.

And that by default is not a bad thing.

Things like these are more like being on a scale instead of being black or white.

And you also have to ask the questions “Is it worth it?” and “Is this important enough” / “Does this have a higher priority than xyz?”.

well to me it is because it implies that it has to be part of my gameplay and sometimes i play a character with which i just want to stand and sustain and not jump away like a little DD

Sure, you still can make a build around that with a lot of toughness and active skills that temporally mitigate large amounts of damage or that temporarily nullify the damage, but I don’t think that you should be able to make a build in D4 that is like D3’s Etched-Twister Wizard that can stand in a huge crowed of enemies and never take any damage.

1 Like

LUNGING STRIKE

“Generate Fury: 9. Lunge forward and strike an enemy for 36-45. Deals physical damage.”

Forgot the skill name but at least know such a thing existed :P, plus who’d have thought it’s a generator as well :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, okay, I see.
Seems like a short ranged dash or a small leap followed by a downwards bash or slash attack.