D4 Custom Controller for extra buttons

Pretty sure he doesn’t, I don’t. Blizzard made this choice. I play by the rules of the games. Only use 2-3 skills in D2. 6 is just fine. 8 could be better but it’s not a deal breaker as 5 is just fine in Immortal, even for being an MMO.

Because, the game will be balanced around using 8 skills.

While it’s on my mind, you’ll get a kick out of this, Diablo:Immortal has only 5 active skill slots with an ultimate skill that appears after you build up enough charge on your primary attack.

It’s… a mobile game. Lol.

If you’re not good enough to play with 8 skills on higher difficulties play the game on a lower difficulty with less skills. The game should cater to all skill levels. 8 skills is an industry standard at this point.

D2 has all the skill slots you could want.

That they chose badly.

No, that does not follow.
You can just balance the game around losing power the more skills you have access to.
So that 6 skills or 8 skills both become viable choices.
That already is what skill points inherently do, spreading out the points across more skills. But to make it even costlier, the skill slots themselves could cost points as well.

Yep, and the combat and build choices are unsurprisingly even worse than D3s.

You can also play it on your PC, which has a better user experience.

Oh cause the PC release went SO well.

The game is honestly simple and just cookie clicker… People have been coming out and saying this a lot recently. The game isn’t even good unless you are persuaded by addictive mobile gaming mechanics. Maybe for playing while you take sh!t for a hundred hours maybe but not for thousands of hours. Terrible idea to make D4 anything like Immoral.

I find it fun for what it is and haven’t been tempted to pay.

Name one Paladin or Necro build who uses only 2 or 3 spells and never uses other utility curses or auras.

Yes it would be! 20 characters blabla

I used an aura and 2 skills on my paladin. I don’t follow build guides and haven’t played since LoD came out. I’m sure I’d use a couple more now, knowing what I know now, but have no interest.

So to answer your question, my builds.

Well if you have no idea about D2, then you should not comment as an argument as if you knew that 6 spells for most end builds is the minimum for any character. Regardless if Necro, Paladin or any other class, with sorc, paladin and necro having the most utility spells out of them all.
You can for sure stick to your two spells but you will not be efficient at all.
Its not rocket science to skill vigor to find areas like hidden tower or caves, max holy shield for survability in Hardcore and use Charge as Extra Running speed for runs.
Neither is using cleansing to reduce poison or curses duration cast on you or salvation when you notice you find an enemy with conviction and is lightning enchanted or use redemption to counter nilathak to prevent him from using corpse explosion by healing vitality and mana with the aura being active before nilathak has the chance to get ressource to cast corpse explosion.
Im not even adding Battle Orders or Battle Command from CTA weapon swap nor Heart of The Oak to gain about 2x your current vitality.

You are free to count how many spells i just named and can be activated anytime without respec.
You should play the game if you want a real comparison of the game.

I pretty much cant think of any fully finished builds I had that used 6 or less skills in D2. And yeah, Necro went well above.

But D2 is fairly irrelevant. The more interesting topic is how many skill buttons an A-RPG should have, to offer interesting combat and build choices.
6 just limits the ability for interesting builds too much. 7 should be the absolute minimum, and 8 would be better.

Like, at the very least a build should be expected to have

1. Single target attack

2. AoE attack

3. Secondary dmg type attack (single target or AoE)
    (then there also is Generators/Spenders, but that could fit into the minimum 3 attacks)

4. Mobility skill (which can both be used offensively and defensively)

5. Offensive buff, enemy debuff or CC skill (stuff like shouts, curses, frost nova etc.), essentially anything that helps your attacks be more effective.

6. Defensive buff

7. And the most important tbh; Wildcard skill for defining your build further.

Going for the bare minimum skill slots means you wont have the choices for putting your own touch on a build. It needs that extra slot, at minimum, to do so.
That is what adds flavor and diversity to a build. It helps define your strengths and weaknesses.
Do I get a 4th attack, so I have both single target and AoE of my secondary dmg type, where I always got an answer against enemy resistances)?
Or a 4th attack for resource generation, so my 3 primary dmg attacks dont have to suffer for one of them being a weaker generator.
Or a second defensive skill for tanky tank build?

Kinda like, in games (not only MMOs) that uses the “holy trinity” of tank, dps, healer, party sizes should be more than 3, otherwise the setup is always locked down. Some spots that you can use to define the strengths and weaknesses in your chosen setup.

1 Like

No I have a clue. I do my own thing. I have no need for what other players do or the builds they make. I used 2 skills and an aura. You guys can worry about battle tested builds that do whatever, i play how I want.

And see, you threw out efficient, I don’t care about being efficient, i care about having fun my way. I did it my way and was fine.

I completely agree with this.

Every build on every class will essentially feel the same when you realise this.

1. lmb basic attack (generator)
  2. aoe
  3. single target dps
  4. CC (slow, stun, reflect etc)
  5. Mobility skill for repositioning
  6. Ultimate for those big damage moments and end of skill tree abilities (not having this cd available when the time calls for it should be a moment that kills you, there should be really hard moments where you need to drop everything right)

Every class will be a complete mirror of all the others and play exactly the same just with different graphics.

You need extra abilities to define your build.

• An extra movement ability would make you more mobile than others.
  • An extra single target ability would give you more single target dps than others.
  • An extra aoe would make you better at doing aoe dmg.
  • An extra cc would make you better at controlling crowds.

See where I’m going with this?

You need more than 6 skills to actually be different from other classes because you can take an extra skill that isn’t a core ability.

Otherwise everything plays the same.

1 Like

Hard to tell how many skills slot is a good amount when we havnt even seen the skills or cooldowns.
It comes down to how u balance things. 16 skills slots works for me even in LA. D2 had plenty of buff skills and d3 had those aswell. Just making those skills perma would mean u end up with more active skills. So 6 skills should be fine if they all combat skills. Again depends on the skill balance.
Never understood the point of having to cast frost armor, enchant weapon, devour etc. Rly doesnt make the combat any better

Very true, but those skills should be changed into the Aura/mantra style, where they have both a passive and active component.

D3 has enough buttons, more won’t make it a better game… just more keys to press to do the same thing.

No one is talking about D3. No one wants the game to be like D3. D3 was an easy casual game with no skill. D4 should not be like this.

1 Like