[D4] Current inventory concept breaks immersion

I’m strarting to think your whole consept is based on that we are all stupid, and will pick up anything that drops. Well we are not. But we need the option, wheter we use it or not. You could play the way you like, grab only a few items, don’t use TP, just don’t force it on everybody.

So like I would be getting rusted items off some undead or some clothing with holes in it? And why are demons carrying so much loot that they don’t use? I mean, some of the stuff is primal after all, would think they would have it equipped. And where do the skeletons keep the gear? I don’t really see them wearing anything other than using some swords and shields. I would imagine if they were worth anything, most of them would have been handed down or taken by the living. I mean, I can get a few being left with the buried dead, but so much juicy loot?

:rofl:

No real person would make that choice. They would just go back to town with both items, even if it had to be done one at a time.

Indeed.

Well, they have this thing called iBag of Holding.

1 Like

I don’t play Diablo 3 nor do I want Diablo 3 looting, but I would still take the ‘outdated’ inventory system over what you’re describing because at least D3’s inventory system doesn’t actively annoy me.

I don’t want “meaningful choice” in my inventory. I want it in my character building.

Inventory isn’t the main show here. Trying to make it matter more is going to make it annoying. I’m not playing Diablo to play inventory management simulator.

1 Like

That’s an amazing visual. Can we get that as a playable character?

Yeah this sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

1 Like

It’s part of Diablo lore. They use it to buy drinks I guess.

I haven’t played CP yet.

It’s not forced. It would cost the novice player more time, which is good game design since the knowledge has to make a difference in the game.

They robbed some poor souls on the way.

You see how a simple consequence from the mechanic is already creating a debate which choice is more optimal? That’s what I call fun.

What you collect will be reflected in your character build. You want build choices, but no collecting choices? This doesn’t seem logical.

Yeah, you already have it - check the D3 heroes.

Oh no I want the actual character. With the mask. Maybe a few of them.

No. One choice is clearly the most optimal in that scenario. And that “choice” already exists in basically all A-RPGs today.

1 Like

No, no. He doesn’t reveal himself.

ROFL. Are you serious? Should we make a mini-game about it now?

Any choice could be optimal regarding different variables in the presented situation.

If two items drop that are so good that you want to use both (as you stated in your example), then basically no matter what the cost of going back to town is, it will be worth doing it. No sensible player is going to let one of two great items remain on the ground due to the cost of a portal scroll or NPC FedEx contractor.

You have some ishues i guess. I’m out.

1 Like

You don’t know at what stage of progression my character is. It would be optimal to pick both during endgame for sure.

It would be any less optimal to pick those same great items when your character was less geared and the items thus representing a bigger upgrade? :thinking:

There is no scenario ever, where a Jah and Ber rune drop, and you are like, “oh well, Ill just pick one of them, since I dont want to spend X to go back to town”.

Yes. You don’t know the sell value of those items compared to others already in inventory.

Let’s involve smaller runes - RAL, ORT, TAL - and accept these are heavy, like 1 weapon. So, they cost less than a weapon and because of that you only pick the one you need atm.

In which case the items are not highly useful things that you will regret not picking up in the next battle (unlike your scenario). Still no meaningful choice to be had. You are drowning in those runes anyway. And if you are somehow not, then you are back to picking up both.

What I collect will be determined by my character build. Everything else will be ignored because it’s not worth wasting the time picking up when I can only hold 1 item in my inventory.

Yes.

Diablo is a game about building characters, not managing inventory. I want building my character to be the meat of the game.

They can represent different resistances. In next battle you find the resistance you equipped.

I said 4 weapons in BoH, 2 in mount, we also can have 8 telekinesis usages before refill, the villagers contract and TP. That’s not 1.

Sure. You build these characters with loot however. Making a knowledge check at the loot drop is better compared to allowing the player collect everything without a penalty.

The whole system in OP makes it so that both the novice and adept players to have to make more choices.

Am I starting the game with all of those available to me?

If so, why not just let me have an inventory that can carry 14 items and scrolls of TP to go back to town when my inventory is full?

If not, my point stands.

The knowledge check is knowing what stats are good for your build, which happens regardless of how much inventory space you have.

You can think that, but if I even bothered to play that game I would 100% play it by just ignoring the majority of items until I had enough inventory space and then I would play basically just like Diablo 2 before my inventory is full of charms.

and I would question why every Barbarian is multi-classed into Sorcerer.

No problem. Im at 75% on all my resistances already. And if not, if you find two great items with resistances you need… you take both items back to town.

These choices wont be difficult. In a loot based game, if you find a great item, you are going to want to keep that item.
Especially in a game where we agreed in this thread, that item drops are relatively rare, and you somehow got two great and useful items in the same fight. Keeping both items will be the optimal choice.

Now, if we had a scenario where you only could pick 1, then it is different. As said before, PoE does this afaik, with some of its end-game activities. Offering some rewards and asks you to pick 1.
Not the scenario you are describing however.

Well if you’re just going to make it all up as we go along might as well just have inventory.