[D4] Current inventory concept breaks immersion

and it’s a boring decision because the choice is to almost always ignore the item. Loot becomes primarily just a thing you pass by, not actually look at.

If you’re going to say TP is bad for immersion you might as well say that Sorceresses existing are as well because they have magic.

Town Portals exist in Diablo lore. They’re a 100% established fact of the setting.

I’m guessing this isn’t about immersion and more about just pushing your vision of what you think Diablo 4 should be with a complete disregard for the lore.

You think these Africans have more “fun” getting water…

Collecting loot does feel special. The special part is when something nice drops.
Having to go back to town 25 times in a minute doesnt make it feel any more special.

So you agree. You would not be able to get those items from monsters. You would merely get a recipe.

It gives the players a break from the action. Whether it is good or bad is arguable. Not a big fan myself. But it does something.

Really?
And again, nobody will run out of “travel resources” after their first noob mistake at lvl 2.
Besides, you can have a travel resource without doing any of the stuff you mention. D2 has a travel resource. Afaik D4 has it too. It really shouldnt since it is pointless, but it apparently does.

Not immediately, since your inventory is limited.

GRs do not drop loot except at the boss. Which is horrible design and should never be repeated in D4.
People do not collect everything in Rifts. At least I hope they dont.

I cant say I agree. But, while I havent played the new PoE league, afaik it has exactly something like this. From what I understand, when you find a labyrinth, you are offered 2-3 of them, and can see which enchant you will get at the end if you finish it. But you can only pick one. So you might end up with a “hard choice” of which to get.

In any case, I actually wouldnt be against having such choices in the game. Like a dungeon where if you pick route A you get to a boss that drops a sword, if you pick route B it drops a staff. Cant get both.
Just very different from the fairly pointless system of having to go back to town multiiple times, or pay NPCs to take your items back, which is not exactly forcing you to pick anyway. Only forces you to spend a bit more time doing it.

If that was a problem, it is easily solvable by not retroactively buffing items.

All there really is to it :+1:

:joy:

Making the journey longer by adding nothing seems like a really bad goal to have.

I call someone, to drive to my appartement, with a cup, go to the sink, fill the cup with water, and bring it to me. A bit cumbersome, but very immersive.

Personally I just trained myself to be able to lift the cup with my mind.

I am apparently a Jedi now.

That’s the case in D3 for sure since the player just looks at their appearance, but if the items drop “identified” you’d have to spend some time after each battle looking at these.

A good itemization will also guarantee that we’d often decide to pick some items.

A large battle will make it profitable enough for us to use a villagers contract for these to pick-up and transport/sell all the stuff.

Tbh yes, I don’t know the Diablo lore at all. It was just a personal view on the setting.

I’d say it’s also getting the precious drop to your stash. It’s like when miners find some diamonds - you should not be celebrating until you haven’t reach the surface.

In that context - dungeons in deep Hell where TPs and telekinesis won’t work, and villagers and mounts won’t go to, won’t be that rare in the Diablo world. From such dungeons you’d have to walk out with what you currently have equipped.

Yes. You give it to the artisan to craft the item. It’s the same - just longer journey and more fun.

Make a poll and you’ll see most players consider it idiotic.

You even have to click once for the auto-pickup to work - that’s so wrong and such a fun killer - piles of resources you brainlessly collect like a mad rat in a cage.

It’s soft forcing you - that’s the point - give the player the freedom to choose so that the skill cap raises. Time is loot, and loot is time.

Suggestions presented in OP are adding depth - more choice among travel resources and loot collection. It’s understanding only 1 person in the thread likes it - more choice scares players.

Great example - you see how more fun it all became?

Be careful, young Padawan, the substance in the cup has to deliver more energy to you than what you use for lifting otherwise you may run out of energy. - Yoda apparently.

That is a very different matter than your OP though.
I’d be all for having some dungeons where you only get to keep your loot if your get through the dungeon. As someone who think SC needs harsher death penalties, that would be lovely.
Inventory does not have to be very limited for that to work. Contrary, the more you can carry, the more you have to lose in such a scenario.

I think PoE have/had something like that too?

Very much not the same. You just made loot drops a lot less exciting and fun, going against your goal.

Players sometimes find things idiotic which are not.
Guess we could repeat the topic about players being their own biggest enemies when it comes to having fun.

I am against auto pick up. But that is not particularly relevant when the topic is gear. That is not on auto pick up in most A-RPGs. Only Sacred 2. Where, to be fair, it worked reasonably fine.

I would also personally remove the entire ‘white/blue/yellow items => crafting mats’ thing.
Legendaries/uniques should be made into crafting mats however, so it always feels useful when you find one.

please make this a poll xDDDDDDD

1 Like

No. You get to keep only what is on you. Said otherwise - no inventory dungeons.

Why? You get the loot in a receipt. That’s the only difference compared to getting it in a material form.

Respective crafting mats for respective gear. Also, more mats from better quality gear.

How haha? Only a blue can do this here ROFL.

you will find a way
like for everything^^

It would be hard for me to explain the idea properly without someone who can help me with Photoshop. For example, I want to present how the whole UI and drops on the ground would look.

i can imagine
its a bad idea
dont bother explaining it further

Why you dislike it so much?

iv mentioned all the reasons already

OP, your ideas are “not” good, quit defending them.

1 Like

A very big difference indeed.
Seeing an item drop, that you could potentially use and equip here and now >>> finding a piece of paper representing an item you might potentially be able to get in the future.

Just dont have crafting mats from white/blue/yellow. Then you reduced the desire to pick up everything. Let gold be the primary reason for picking up those items.
And maybe some specific items can be used as crafting mats directly, but not something where all rare items turn into a crafting mat. Like; a specific white dagger is needed for some recipe. Or a rare helmet with Crushing Blow chance is needed for some recipe.
Grim Dawn does that reasonably well with its monster infrequent items.

Bad idea.
And completely broken for multiplayer, where it would be efficient to carry naked characters through, so they could collect items.

It’s good to have it both ways - things to use immediately, and such that have to go through town.

White item → white mats
Blue item → blue mats

Number of mats depend on quality of item.

Why?

Bad gameplay like in D3 tbh.

Not all items need to be useful for something.

Being unable to keep both your current item and a new item is not really helping with giving the players new items that might want you to make new builds or adjustments to a current build (that new item might need you to have some other item before it is worth switching, so you cant just leave your old gear behind).
Anti-ARPG really.

And as said, broken for multiplayer.

why are we keeping this alive?

You have no idea… stop thinking about just yourself… at the same time do what you want.

You are the one that determines the usefulness depending on whether you need such mats.

That’s the whole idea. And I like it very much.

Because the journey is fun, young Padawan.

That is usually the thing about crafting mats. The desire is insatiable. You can potentially always use them later on.

A good (or rather, better, as I am still no fan) thing about something like D2s white items, or Grim Dawns Monster Infrequents, is that the crafting mats are somewhat unique for the item you want to craft. So you cant just hoard endless amounts of crafting mats for future crafts. The items you store to use in crafting later, has to be a bit more purposeful.
Instead of being like, sure, 40001 yellow crafting mats > 40000 yellow crafting mats, guess I should pick it up.