[D4] Current inventory concept breaks immersion

I don’t play it too, however the point is that when the player is free to collect everything he wants without any downside this makes the process less rewarding.

well thats what im talking about
it needs to have a limit
but that limit is not to have NO inventory
D2 is already close to the line

You’ll have inventory on the mount - say for 2 big weapons or 1 heavy armor.

You’ll have the ability to pick the above yourself, stack these on mount or TP to town/hideout.

You’ll have the ability to use telekinesis and send these to stash.

You’ll be able to pay the villagers to move these to town.

The bonus here is that you have to pay attention for your resources. Is a town nearby? Do you have portals/contracts? Do you have telekinesis charges left?

And if you decide to be greedy and push forward succeeding in combat you may find yourself in an awkward situation - you’d have a potential upgrade without being able to capitalize on it. And what you do then? That’s the fun situations in games.

leave me alone with the mount
and with your cringe telekinesis

So, you want things the old way - brainless collecting of items?

uh
the point if this game is to kill monters and pick up items
not pay villagers to run around in fields full of corpses…OR HELL
talking about immersion breaking

1 Like

I feel like inventory tetris is really all that is needed for immersion. It’s not 100% realistic, but it gets the job done. I’d also increase the inventory size from what it was in Diablo 2 and adjust the value of items in gold to more properly match their size.

I would say it sounds like you want a full blooded RPG and not an Action RPG but not even games like Baldur’s Gate go this crazy with it.

Okay, so your answer is “yes” then. You want all the stuff without thinking at all what to pickup.

The more inventory/stash size we have the more brainless the game gets. You’ll just stash 100% of stuff and use whatever gets the buff of the day. Where is the fun in that?

For me it’s fun to remember I didn’t get something. There isn’t a potential situation in current aRPGs for that (besides of course getting disconnected in PoE, but that would only count if it’s designed that way).

yea whatever man xD
you do you
great thread xD

Thank you haha.

:confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball:

Just let this post die already. Pls.

1 Like

You want to limit the posts, but not the inventory?

Not every system in the game needs to be a system you’re constantly thinking about. The game should be having the player thinking about character building, resource management, and strategy in combat.

What you’re asking for is a very niche thing(which is ironic given in other threads you talk about wanting as many players as possible to play the game). Even in D&D a lot of people ignore the rules about inventory space, because it’s generally not viewed as a very fun thing when you can only pick up 1-2 items.

and “everybody can magically teleport items to town with their mind” is more immersion breaking than simply having a larger inventory.

2 Likes

I want to limit idiotic ideas.

2 Likes

Loot is one of the fundamentals in aRPGs and making knowledge checks for it is good design. Soft-forcing the player to choose the loot to pick is good design. It makes the journey longer for all types of players - dedicated players may miss some good items due to playing it greedy and noobs will simply travel more.

I can give you an example with D2 if you played it on SP with regular stash size and extended stash - well, the game is way more fun with regular stash size since you have to make more choices.

C’mon, 30 axes in pockets beats anything (even the walking villagers collecting stuff among the corpses in Hell).

Mostly it just becomes ignoring 90% of loot because it’s not worth picking up.

So you’re okay with the idea that every adventurer knows how to magically teleport items, but the concept of a bag of holding is beyond comprehension?

1 Like

The game has to be made with a keynote. It cannot be about everything, because when it is about everything, it is really about nothing. Some things need to be removed and some things simplified.
The system you propose is very nice and interesting, but for the survival game.

The absurdity of this concept is ridiculous.

Why stop this immersion thingie at items? What about the gold you find and collect? Gold is very heavy and you could not carry huge amounts of it without it becoming a major hurdle to handle.

1 Like

Certainly not by any of the “solutions” that you described.

2 Likes

You are just making the decision on the fly. Related to OP - you’d have to decide whether to lose travel resources stashing loot you may not use in the future or continue the battles.

Well, that obviously won’t stop me from playing D4, however I think we can do better - both regarding immersion and mechanics.

Regarding immersion from worst to best:
Bag of holding > TP > Telekinesis > Villagers > Mount

Why not for the regular game?

Good point. Gold coins has to have lbs too.

It was related to this paragraph: