[D4] Current inventory concept breaks immersion

If that’s fun for you you should be able to, but it will cost you a lot of time with the current system in OP. If you on the other side need a specific amount of mats you’d still have to use your travel resources to acquire them. A unique item has the same lbs as a white item.

I sort of agree with OP but don’t particularly like the solutions. I’d like to see changes to inventory but with other changes.

I envision a small inventory capable of holding very few items but also more limited town portal usage so that you cannot easily teleport back to town to sell a bag full of items and repeat which I consider to be not ideal gameplay loop. Items would have durability and a limited ability to be repaired.

The idea is that weapons get worn out during use and can be repaired but not to their new conditions and eventually they fall into disrepair. Disrepair happens if the durability falls to 0. Disrepair will also happen more gradually, for example, if the item falls to 50% durability, the maximum you can repair it to is 95%, and the next time it falls to 50% you can only repair to 90% and so on.

Items would generally drop less, creatures drop items that they can use. Good finds would be more from chests, weapons racks and stuff.

The idea is to give a more survival feeling to the game but at the same time I think it allows you to improve the loot hunting aspect by dropping fewer but generally better items that will eventually be removed from the game as you use them.

It keeps you constantly loot hunting. You don’t just find BiS for gloves and now I’m not interested in gloves… those gloves will wear out and you need to find some new ones.

The town portal scarcity plays into this item disrepair thing as well. Lets say I got a really good rare weapon and I’m going on a deep dungeon dive and I have no portals left… or only a few left. I don’t want my current weapon to fall into disrepair but I can’t make it to the bottom of the dungeon without a repair (but traveling via for repair is expensive) so as I progress I’m looking at the items that I find to find something I can use to save my good current weapon from falling into disrepair. It ties in with the limited invenotry.

having portals simply be one way would also solve the problem of potion shopping

I’d say, if we are to bring repair, it could have increasing cost, so that if you are very efficient with a build (killing mobs with a few hits and losing little durability) you’d be able to keep the item longer in your inventory. If you farm hard dungeons and get a lot of gold, you’d be able to keep the item even longer, but eventually you’d have to change it since the repair cost will be huge. So, the player has more control over the decay.

Inventory and immersion in same topic. How so.

I havent had any problems with Diablo’s inventory system. Kingdome Come Deliverance has one of the worst imho.

Would it be fun if inventory was outside of the gameplay? Like in main menu or somethinge like that. If people are concenred about immersion.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure one of the most disliked features of Witcher 3 is the weight limitations on Roach. I get there is a cutoff for being outlandish, but it doesn’t have to be stupid like W3’s setup, especially in a loot hunting game.

Argh. Stop. Overthinking. Things.

Why is this more suited to a survival game and not to aRPG.

The proposals you presented are additional animations or activities that must be performed before receiving / checking the item.
In survival games, you have to fight to survive, so every action you do must cost something. Then picking up items is interesting because you make decisions about which items to pick up, then each animation matters.
But for an aRPG where we want to focus on combat and character creation, we want to remove any survival elements that are of no use. The rule is simple, behind each element of the game there must be an interesting mechanic that fits the rest of the game, if it does not meet these requirements, this element must be removed / simplified.
Each additional animation, even the simplest one like picking up an item, will repeat itself too often and if it is just to make it more realistic, it will quickly get bored and become disturbing. In my opinion, in aRPG, picking up items should be simplified as much as possible, i.e. I click on the item and it disappears and is available to me after pressing the inventory button.

It wouldn’t matter if the items dropped identified or not. I would disregard the majority of the items because they simply aren’t worth picking up with extremely limited inventory space.

Good itemization means that a good percentage of items wont be for my given build because there is a good variety of stats and I’ve specialized in something that means I want a certain few.

Then you clearly don’t care one bit for immersion, because lore is absolutely vital to immersion.

3 Likes

Ok now you’re goin in the way, that nothing makes sense anymore, so just stop, and don’t play D4, because the whole game is unrealistic and immersion brakeing. Thx, bye.

1 Like

Stupid thread is stupid…

3 Likes

That’s the case with monsters and insta kills, and when applied on mass scale we get less rewarding combat. With collecting loot the same principle holds - the faster and brainless you do it, the less fun.

Cutting the travel resources only gives “false value” to items since you’d sell these to town vendors and that’s a boring activity making us traders instead of heroes (that’s why we leave this to the villagers). If you find an upgrade you’d be picking it up of course and it would feel so much more rewarding when you saved travel resources.

How is the bag of holding specified in Diablo lore? I just searched on Google and nothing came up.

It’s not overthinking. The whole pace of collecting stuff is super quick in D3 and doesn’t make sense in a more slow paced game like D4. The game would gain much when the player has to make crucial choices regarding what he picks.

The telekinetic energy for example could refill itself when a character is idle (not used).

I will forever be against inventory Tetris. The personal valuation of an item is something I do with or without determining I can fit it in my inventory. Long term, all it really translates to is more time warping to/from town when I’m at a critical point where I have to temporarily leave something. Nonetheless, in time, the player will learn what’s worth vendoring and what isn’t, with the isn’t only really considered if they’ve been bankrupted by a recent significant expense. The argument of realism also falls apart here when you start asking questions like why you can’t just fill a suit of armor with a bunch of rings and carry them all or how you can’t lay down a couple daggers beside the shaft an axe that’s otherwise empty item space.

More personally, I’d just be fine with a flat number limit. If the inventory is 50 slots, that means 50 items, regardless of their size, can be carried. This is probably the most common RPG style, and may even actually creep into limitless with the limit only being how many items are coded into the game itself. Yes, some degree of realism is compromised to pull this off, but sometimes games do require a suspension of disbelief. Being a realm full of demons and magic, I’d say this principle can be safely exercised. There’s technically no need to shrink item art in this style, but it’s not like mouseover pop-ups don’t exist for a more compact grid UI.

Of course, I’m also not against reasonable weight systems. I emphasize the reasonable part, however, because just like Tetris, forcing the player into repeated town trips isn’t fun. In general, areas should be designed where a full clear will just about fill your inventory. RNG may give you a little more now and then, but it could also give you less. Mules aren’t required here, and magical bag systems with different pros/cons can also be considered. Still, some would argue this needless convolution when you can just give the player x amount of slots.

Now, if we really want to talk about giving NPCs roles, then I’d argue the best route is for them to passively gather materials for us based on areas we’ve cleared and assigned them to. Each area, depending on its biome and inhabitants, can have varied rewards to bring back. Unlocking them would otherwise require some basic task or quest clear, and yes, these NPCs would fetch you things while you’re offline, too. I’d further argue this opens a big door for crafting and enchanting, as NPC use could also yield unique rewards you couldn’t find normally. You could even cultivate NPCs that specialize in certain things like mining minerals, gathering leathers, picking the best vegetation, and so on. So, while the world may “reset” per game, or respawn as one should expect with a shared open world experience, it still provides the player with a sense of accomplishment in world influence that further goes on to benefit them in the long term.

What if said “pockets” were just portals to our inventory which were in another dimension? Would that make you happy?

2 Likes

like the horde? :smiley:
isnt that what goblins put their stuff in?
its already canon xD

I agree with you. The whole inventory concept is a QoL and reduction of skill cap so there’s no need for Tetris and limitations.

The real game starts when we have to make decisions about what to pick, otherwise it’s just a hamster wheel of killing mobs and stashing loot, and copy/pasting the meta of course.

Said otherwise - if we all in this thread watch some non-noob player playing D2 or D3, we’ll know what he’ll pick. The collection of the items isn’t linked to a conscious decision - it’s a brainless habit when we click and collect stuff.

A system presented in OP will force the player with choices regarding possible upgrades, gold, time, travel resources. The game suddenly gains quite more depth and the player will feel way more rewarded when the battle is over and he is inspecting the loot, and making decisions whether to collect something. It’s a whole new world, more skilled and immersive.

One goes hand in hand with the other - gold coins have weight too and often greedy adventurers with full bags find their death among the ruins not being able to bring the treasures to surface.

Yes, we can have that.

If you mean portals to our stash - it’s the same as the telekinesis skill, however telekinesis raises the skill cap due to player having a limited usages of it.

Nope, I mean our inventory is a small space in another dimension. Only accessible by the players character and has a timeline parallel to the characters. Kind of like a goblin portal in your pocket, but instead of it going to the vault, etc. it leads to your personal inventory.

Stash remains stash. Basically a larger inventory only accessible in certain parts of Sanctuary.

It kinda makes sense that your stash is simply a gateway (portal) to your stashed items. Regardless of where you access it from around sanctuary, all your items are there.

So basically your inventory and stash are in a static location in another dimension with a parallel timeline. Your inventory can be accessed from anywhere, while your stash is accessed through a gateway( the chest).

Nonsensical rambling over, sorry.

1 Like

how is a wardrobe realistic?

Chars equip armor, and can put in their stash, take it on or off, but not click a wardrobe and change skills and gear in 1 click its lazy design.

I know right lol. xD

This sounds remarkably like the Magic Purse of Yendor which, if I remember, was either in NetHack or Rogue. It was a bottomless bag but with a low chance that it would eat any item placed into it.

It’s probably be more appropriate to just call it the Bag of Holding trope, which has obviously been floating around fiction for probably forever.