[D4] Current inventory concept breaks immersion

You are just a filthy trader mate, not a true hero haha.

Heroes gota love love their loot. Im not selling EVERYTHING. I keep the good stuf for me to help me get more loot. But i also need gold to spend it on other good stuf to get rid of evil in the world. No one told me filthy traders can’t be heroes. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So, what you are heading at is that you don’t want to be punished for not picking something?

I think exactly the opposite will bring more value long term - as long as we decide to leave the majority of items on the ground, those that we collect are to feel more special for us.

Of course you should be able to pick everything if you want - it would just cost you more (gold or time), which in turn strengthens the knowledge aspect of the game giving advantage to the dedicated players (those knowing how to make the final blow to Diablo to not need a ladder for his head).

LMAO! Why so serous? And so dramatic? You’re makeing a fool out of your self. Get a break bro. :rofl:

cant tell if troll or just weird at this point
but from my experience i would say he is actually serious about it

1 Like

Too much gameing gets to you apparently.:confused:

Sure. Why not.

They are solutions to a problem which does not exist, and most of them would make the game worse. Some of them even dramatically worse.

It is an A-RPG. It would go directly against the basic gameplay.
You very much are limited in what you can collect. The inventory does that. Just doesnt limit you to one item.

Bad gameplay loop. Slows down the player with a tiresome, pointless job that offers no challenges.
Making the player go back to town sometimes can be good design, for breaking up the gameplay pacing. But not every single time they find a new item.

Since inventory is already limited by space, weight is unnecessary and redundant.

Could work. But what is the purpose. When placing items in your inventory and taking them back to town works as well, and accomplishes the same. This might instead remove the need to go back to town at all, which might be a bad idea.

This is the big one. That would be horrible and go against everything an A-RPG stands for.
The chance of finding all kinds of item from every single monster you kill

Could work. But most devs strongly believe, justified or not, that it is important to have “town visit” breaks in these games. And they are probably right, as annoying as they can feel.

why do you even bother answering xD

2 Likes

Dunno. Nonsense should not be left on its own :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I totally disagree. The current aRPGs don’t limit you in any way with that huge inventory space.

That’s the whole idea - the player needs to be slow down in order to enjoy the loot more. Maybe you run out of town portals and gold, and your mount is full - you are suddenly forced with a serious choice due to bad planning. Something that NEVER happens in current aRPGs. You just put all in your magic pockets.

What I wrote doesn’t reduce it.

This should be the case when you want to upgrade your equipment.

The whole system presented in OP adds quite a lot of depth to the whole item hunting experience since you need to manage:
1] Weight on mounts
2] Gold for town portals and villagers transport
3] Telekinesis energy

If you make a mistake you’d need to pay for it with time. That’s good game design that brings immersion to next level.

That is factually wrong though. In Diablo 3 you have to go sell stuff from time to time. In Ponyland you might even need to do it multiple times if you want to pick up everything.

In D2 you might only have room for a few items at a time if you want to have a bunch of charms (bringing it closes to what you are arguing for I guess). In PoE you can definitely run out of space too.

You directly wrote you wanted to reduce that.

Which will be a MUCH less frequent thing than the town visit game designers seem to like.

That could be a thing in the current system too.

While I strongly agree that gameplay needs to be slowed down, the focus in that sentence is gameplay. As in, the combat.
Making the “chores” slow, is the wrong place to emphasize slower and more deliberate gameplay.

That would never ever happen for normal players. At most, you created a noob trap.
Not unlike repair costs.

No, you can’t. There isn’t a situation in the known aRPGs where you’d have to travel to town by foot due to not having inventory space, portals, or whatever.

No. You still can find any item anywhere or from any monster in the form of receipt.

They are clueless. 30s in town (D3 way) doesn’t change anything at all for the player. In fact - it reduces the immersion even more. What changes the pace from combat is when the player crafts/trades/arranges items/theorycrafts in his hideout.

Collecting loot is part of gameplay. Returning to town to store a potential good item when you are out of “travel resources” is something to remember. Deciding which item to take from the battlefield when you are out of resources, but don’t want to waste time is something to remember too. This doesn’t happen in current aRPGs. You can simply collect immediately everything you find and this kills the fun from collecting stuff.

I also have to add that all items have to drop “identified” so the player can decide immediately about his course of action. And the uniques have to be visually identifiable by the player’s eye on the ground (just as they are when he wears them).

No, the inventory doesn’t break immersion for me, and as such I wouldn’t change anything about it on the grounds of “improving immersion”. Sorry to hear that it breaks your immersion, but for what it’s worth, your solutions would do the exact opposite of improving the immersion for me.

Why?

You’d inspect items on the ground - not in the magical inventory.

You’d have travel resources to care about.

You’d have to make more choices.

Tell me something - how do you (personally) acquire water in the real world?

because its too much
that something few people on this forum dont seem to understand

It would be too much if you collect everything. That’s the whole idea.

For many people in Africa that spend hours a day to get water that’s a journey. For us the modern folks it’s something we take for granted aka no fun in it. Do you remember something special about the last time you drink water? What about the previous of that? It’s all the same for us.

Collecting loot has to feel special. You’d have to pay with resources or time for that activity. This is what makes the activity fun.

when do you ever do that

this is not death stranding

1 Like

Don’t you collect everything in D3 GRs?

i dont play that sht…

The inventory has ALWAYS broken immersion, even in D1, if you stop to think about it.

So get over it.