D3 S30 Altar of Rites is hateful because of Staff of Herding

During S28 on one of the servers, (I played all 3 regions) it took me nearly 2 months of farming hours a day to finally get the GG. Granted I got it much more quickly on the other 2, however that does not negate that the task taking such an arduous amount of time is ridiculously bad.

And as for a proper speed build. I used a fully geared and speed spec’d GoD build the entire nearly two months. Additionally at that time the altar had the full uncapped 25 percent move speed bonus active as well. Speed does not in any way make it less of a chore or more likely to succeed.

4 Likes

The only reason Staff of Herding requirement staying is due to people who complain about “I have finished the season in one week. Now what?”. This supposed to be a long grind that you should check and farm at every point into the progress of Altar. Do not wait until you hit the twenty fourth node and do some farming here and there occassionally as you grind for enough crafting materials.

Additionally, try to run the Campaign; Chiltara is a guaranteed spawn in Caverns of Frost at the Campaign Mode. This removes one of the randomization layers right away to alleviate the grind abit. Running Campaign on Normal difficulty to reach Act 3, won’t take you longer than hitting CoF about twenty or thirty runs. Treat this challenge as a half-baked The Sprinter conquest; you only reach half of the Campaign but wanna do that fast.

I can not instantly prepare or suggest a solution, because I’m not buying the idea of removing the challenge would solve everything. The moment SoH requirement is removed, people will run to the forums just to brag about their achievement of finishing the Season Journey in a day again because Altar won’t seem to pose much trouble at all. Altar meant to be highly rewarding hence why it is designed to drag the player along. People complain about instant gratification in video games, still want it one way or another.

Back in the long-ago times, Chilltara spawned a lot less frequently but had a 100% drop chance of the gibbering gemstone. She was changed to spawn more frequently, but the drop chance was lowered to absolutely abysmally low. Quite simply, they could leave her spawn rate the same but re-instate the 100% drop chance.

4 Likes

The developers have told you that?
You have no evidence of that. But nice try :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you. No one told me that but after seeing those threads so often for so long, you can see a pattern. As a developer I would be annoyed if players kept complaining about duration of a challenge in my game non-stop, when it supposed to be a casual-friendly game.

Imagine you made a video game where carrying a crate 5 meters ahead rewards you once, but carrying it further than that reward the players more. Wouldn’t it really be annoying when everyone keep criticizing your game for having not enough challenge when you adorn the rewards from here all the way to Colorado? To me, when Altar offers a grand prize of double Primal drop everyone seem to be a dedicated bunch even if they were not.

Seasons only supposed to last about 3 months at average, and Season Journey was a short and sweet challenge as there were many different player profiles who work with dense schedules in real life. People may not have enough time to spare or have to visit abroad for prolonged time away from their PCs or consoles but still want to play.

Altar at the other hand, is just as short, if not for its long grinding requirements with big promises and completely passive benefit rewards at every step. End of the line is; let us try the Altar like that for a Season or two. Developers will do according changes if it affects a large audience or impairs their progression.

To be honest, I don’t even remember that part being a thing back then. Perhaps I haven’t played Caverns of Frost indepth at vanilla version or my memory being hazy. I have always remembered Chiltara as that one evasive Hellcat with very low drop rate of Gemstone.

Anyway, going with what you have said, once Chiltara had low spawn rate but Gemstone was a guaranteed drop; now developers simply made her a guaranteed spawn as long as Caverns of Frost spawned in the Campaign mode but reduced the Gemstone drop rate down to 1-2% or so. I mean, challenge obviously shifted focus, so they want you to do another way, subtly; instead of Adventure mode, you run the CoF in Campaign.

1 Like

We can all speculate why the devs do x, y and z instead of doing a, b and c. In the end it’s still speculation.

1 Like

I still have an Infernal Staff of Herding in my non-seasonal Stash.
I remember how it was back then, i.e. if you found the mob, you got the gem.

Maybe it’s just a personal thing, but I find it more frustrating to repeatedly find the mob and her not drop the item, than when it was rare to find her but knowing that if you had found her you were 100% getting the item.

1 Like

Or ppl are just slow. How many runs u did in 11h+? How many runs u do in a hour?
The droprate aint that low u know. Its around 5%? So most ppl wont need to kill chil more than 1k times.

Or they were slow. According to their profile and their build they surely were slow.

And u are 1.7k paragon on none ladder.
To put that in perspective. I get that like first day on ladder start. Again some ppl are slow.

1 Like

Coreander is so spicy :christmas_tree:

1 Like

On one hand, it’s funny seeing all the complaining about this now, and knowing it’s going to continue until well after the season starts (“hateful”? really?? :rofl: ) Might even tell someone it’s a skill issue and git gud in their anger post for laughs.

On the other hand, given the new nerfed altar, just increase the GG drop rate already. The low drop rate made sense when the game was new. But now? Who cares. Not like whimseyshire is all that rewarding. I think the only unique loot there is the portrait? The novelty of being there is gone after the first time you see it.

Changing the GG drop rate to 25% is fair, I think and would help with the frustration a lot of people are having.

4 Likes

Next season on the bug report

• GG
  • Embers
4 Likes

The thing people are complaining about are the drop rate. Let see how often does the cave show up? In the PTR the cave is only showing up maybe at tops 25%. Then with that she only shows up maybe again about 25% of the time. Then now she might have a 5% drop rate. It isn’t all in the drop rate. It is all the other stuff you have to do to even get HER!!!

When I was doing this I was running for the rainbow bottle too. I still haven’t got either of them. So really what is the PTR all about and why are we doing it? I was told we are testing it for what??? They said they rework the Altar. So the only thing that was change is this!!!

So no body has a problem with this. OH wait the few characters they change the nerfs and buffs are more important then This!!!

+200 Damage – It is now +100 damage
+25% Missile Damage Reduction – It is now 5%
+25% Movement Speed (Uncapped) – It is now 10%
Increase damage against elites by 15%. – It is now 5%
+25% Melee Damage Reduction. - It is now 5%
Increases your highest elemental skill damage bonus by 10%. – It is now 5%
Increase damage against elites by 20%. -It is now 5%
+10% Damage – It is now 5%
Reduces the damage taken from elites by 25% - It is now 5%
+15% Damage – It is now 5%
Increase damage done to Bosses by 25% - It is now 5%
Increase your chance to Dodge by 15% - It is now 5%

If the mob spawns 80% of the time, that means 1000 spawns is 1250 dungeons, and the right dungeon only occurs 50% of the time, so that means remaking the game 2500 times.

You said you averaged two hours to get the gemstone. 2 hours = 120 minutes = 7200 seconds. 2500 attempts in 7200 seconds means each of your runs would average 7200/2500 = 2.88 seconds, which includes exiting game, creating new game, teleporting to map, checking for dungeon, getting to floor 2, killing the mob. All in under 3 seconds per attempt.

Heck, even with a speed build, let’s assume an average of 30 seconds per attempt. At 2500 attempts that’s 1250 minutes, which is over 20 hours.

3 Likes

Thanks to Leviathan

Did u even read? Most wont need to do chil 1k times. U took over 11h. Sometimes u rly are the dumbest whiniest scrub ever. Its around 5% drop. No clue why u act like ppl need 2.5k attempts. Also i asked u how many runs u do per hour or in 11h+. Thats what matters. Not how many hours u spend.

Since u like math so much. How many runs on avrg for a 5% drop? Im sure u can figure that out. Just cut the crap

1 Like

Yes, thanks.

I not only read, I comprehend too.
Most means more than half, and certainly does not mean all.
In other words, some people still wouldn’t have it after 1000 spawns.

You suggested most people would get it within 1000 spawns, which clearly means that not all people would get it within 1000 spawns, i.e. they’d need more spawns. 1000 spawns needs 1250 dungeons, which needs 2500 games.

Let’s assume someone has the most insanely fast speed-build and you can average 20 seconds per attempt. This means that those 2500 attempts would take 833 minutes, which is over 13 hours. And, by your own statement, not all of them would have obtained the item.

13+ hours, at 20 seconds per attempt, and still some people wouldn’t have the item after remaking the game 2500 times, using your own suggested values.

2 Likes

And some ppl will did before they turn 2y old. Too bad for them. U want free stuff? Welcome to diablo. Its full of rng.

Its rng. Suck it up baby.

So again whats the avrg on 5 % drop? U avoid that question dont u? Wonder why. Oh thats right because u wanna cry.

Also i asked how many runs u do per hour. Avoiding that aswell because u are aware of that u are slow. The issue isnt that u killed chil 1k times and didnt get. The issue is u are slow

Nope, thats your suggested values. I clearly stated that most ppl wont need 1k runs. And i pointed out several times thats its around 5%. Selective reading much?

1 Like

You originally stated this…

Killing Chilltara 1000 times means getting the right dungeon 1250 times which means remaking the game 2500 times. My reading’s fine, so’s my comprehension, and I notice when you move the goalposts between “1000 kills” and “1000 runs”.

It’s not a 5% chance per game though, it’s 2%.

If I had already provided an answer to the question, over four hours ago, would that be a problem for your narrative that I’m avoiding it? Oh, wait…

Chilltara may well have a 5% drop rate of the item and, indeed, that’s the value I’ve been using, but you’re ignoring the fact that the right dungeon is only on the map 50% of the time, and the mob only spawns around 80% of the time the dungeon is there. So, it’s 5% of 80% of 50%, which is 2%.

2 Likes

And? I only stated that most wont need to kill chil 1k times. Its very rare. It would also be true even if the droprate was 50%. Thats how rng works. Do u balance a game around 0.000000000000001% of the ppl? Are u autistic or something?

I didnt ask the chance per game. Avoiding the question still?

Where did u provide the answer on how many kills u do in 1h?

A attempt to check if its the right dungeon takes alot less than running to second map and kill chil.

Since u so afraid of telling me how many kills u do in a hour. Im gonna give u my number.

I do roughly 80 chils KILLS. KILLS NOT ATTEMPTS. In 1h.

With that number how many hours on avrg to get the gem? And whats the odds of me taking 11h+ to get the gem?

Stop being a crybaby. If u got no patience to farm a 5% item in a grind game then u should find another game. U are no different from bravata.

1 Like

Funny though that the one getting emotional, aggravated, aggressive and upset is you.
Meteorblade, as always, is mostly facts, stats, maths and logic.

1 Like