D2R GPU Temps are up there!

Why should we offer a non official alternative to solve overheating the cpu/gpu? Are we developers or technicians? Are we paid by blizzard? This is not our role. ITS IS BLIZZARD WHO NEEDS TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE.
We are just here to provide feedback not solutions.
The game is bad optimized yes or yes and it’s been proven in good cpus and in toasters too.
So BLIZZARD PLZ MAKE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!! not just simply cap fps to 60. DAMN!

I have a i7 6700K and a 2080 Super, vsync on. I am running at 1440p @ 144hz, I have a gsync monitor. The fans would definitely kick in and there’s a lot of heat. Performance was good though.

I dropped it to 120hz, via the Nvidia control panel, the heat and fans still kicked in, but it took longer.

Setting it to 60hz did the trick. No fans, heat, noise or anything. Due to the way Diablo 2 works, I hardly noticed it running at 60hz. I played for hours with no crashes or issues (except a little rubberbanding). So, I guess that’s the trick, at least for me.

yea but thats disgusting, playing 60fps/hz on a PC is not acceptable anymore. Atleast not for me. Playing with tons of Motionblur while suffering from input lag … i mean its 2021 not 2007.

Consoles can do better than this nowdays without issues. With a PC u rightfully deserve more of a premium gameplay than that.

yea but most cards that cant hit those 200fps probably wont have a 250w+ power limit so its alright… Maybe old GTX480 in big trouble though xD

I agree and it needs to be addressed, but I’m not frying my stuff.

I have a GTX 1080 and i7-8700k, running the game at 1080p at a smooth 60fps. However, I notice that after about 20-30 minutes of playing the D2R beta, my GPU fans skyrocket to their limit. I am not quite sure what the trigger is. I always run MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner with an fps cap set at 60. Whenever this event happens, I am unable to turn the in-game display on. I tried the solution suggested in this thread (Those new to playing BETA and having GPU heat issues) and also set up an fps limit and vertical sync in the Nvidia control panel. However, the GPU “escape” still happens.

This issue happened to me during both the closed and open beta. It seems like something is triggering the game to ignore all settings for max framerate and is forcing the GPU into overdrive, including:

1. In game setting.
  2. MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner setting.
  3. Nvidia control panel setting.

6800XT and my card’s temps are between 60-75 during gameplay. I never cap out or cap vram. Game has crashed once over both weekends.

140-160fps @ 2k 165hz

Interesting. I have not experienced these issues, after making the changes I had. The system seemed to stabilize after 5-10 minutes of game play and didn’t get worse, or at least that I could see when reviewing HW Monitor that I had running during the game. It would show the highest it got, but even when periodically checking, nothing. And the in-game FPS would show a steady 60FPS, even with all the graphic options set to maximum and scaling at 100%.

But as I said also, not everyone is going to have the same result, and many have noticed that higher end cards seem to have worse results. Mine is a 1660 basic. Capable, but certainly not roasting to death with the changes implemented. I was running at temps around 90C before that which that card never did before this game.

I had a conversation with a tech person on this issue. They told me that 70’s in Celsius is fine. Also its normal for the GPU to run at 100%. As for your CPU I have no idea.

well to run at 95-100% utilisation is quite normal (also called GPU bottleneck), but its not normal to draw 100% of the powerlimit in watts with no utilisation to back it up. Not normal at all. Please stop mixing things up and spreading misinfo.

Also:
@Blizzard im able to break your 200FPS cap by simply enabling Vsync with any Monitor thats above 200hz. This shouldnt be possible.

https://imgur.com/a/DjUMkEa

It really is quite bizarre. I’ll be playing without any problems, 60 fps and GPU temp 60 for a random amount of time. Then all of a sudden, something triggers. At that time, my ingame display from MSI/Riva turns off and my fans go haywire.

Sounds like when your MSI shuts down, its no longer controlling it?

Did you use MSI to set the FPS or the video driver utility provided by the video card chip manufacturer? (nvidia, amd)

Not only should it not be possible, I would also suspect that is why it isn’t having an effect on some systems either. Now, maybe gsync/freesync would override that potentially? Though personally it still shouldn’t. That’s why I haven’t been trusting the in-game vsync option.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear enough. My MSI and Riva aren’t turned off, they are both still running. However, it’s like D2R is not recognized as a game anymore or something. It’s gone rogue, it somehow is immune to the effects of those 2. I’ve never seen any other game do this before.

But those are not the card chip software, they are manufacturer software, correct?

I used the nvidia software panel to control mine, even though I have an MSI brand card, and haven’t had that issue. Just wondered if you have tried it that route instead?

Yes, I’ve tried your method as well in the Nvidia control panel.

Well, I don’t run the other two at all. The only software I will run in the background to monitor anything would be HW Monitor from CPUID. That logs the temps, and shows the highest that it gets to, along with all the other data.

Typically I run MSI to check things once in a while, but I don’t let them remain active, and they don’t load at boot. Normally the only things running in the background are maybe bnet, my Razer software (and sometimes I even close that down) and that’s about it.

Yeah, I always run those because I have custom fan curves and slight GPU OC. But like I said, there’s something about this game that is unique from any other game I’ve ever played. Even the technical alpha did not do this.

I have a suspicion the cause of what I’m experiencing is related to the underlying common theme in this thread of why many people are experiencing GPU temp/fan issues. What Zuvykree described in this thread is probably the reason:

“The game will try to run with the highest performance it can based off system power settings and game settings. I do recommend enabling Vsync under Graphic Options as a first step to limit FPS which will limit the workload.”

However, somehow this pushing the game to use more resources is bypassing limits set by the in game vsync, Nvidia control panel vsync, and MSI/Riva limits, which are thus not functioning appropriately.

I’ve uninstalled the Beta for now. Fingers crossed this issue is fixed by the final release! :crossed_fingers:

Ever since I’ve capped my FPS to 60 via Nvidia Control Panel > Program Settings > Game.exe (D2R) > Max Frame Rate = 60 FPS. While very slightly adjust my MSI Afterburner Fan Curve adjustments, V-Sync is OFF (I have a G-Sync monitor), in-game graphics to LOW settings, scaling is default, resolution 1920x1080 and for the Early Access and Open BETA gameplay, my temps have been STEADY at 47C. CPU temps 46C, Max Fan Speed 48. I went from 77C down to 47C on AVERAGE with a RTX 2060 and i5-9600k. I also keep my house temp at 66F which is also a factor keeping PC components cool.

When I play Battlefield 1, to which I have a specific Nvidia Global Setting for BF1, cfg file. and few in-game settings, my CPU/GPU temps reach 67C with a Fan Speed of 60 and this can go on for hours of gameplay and not even peek 70C. 67C is my every day life normal GPU/CPU temps across four game titles, BF1, AC: Valhalla, New World, and WoW.

I totally understand 70’s is “normal” and not considered cooking your GPU, however, when just playing a NEW game, weather it’s BETA (in most cases it is) and players CPU/GPU temps “sky rocket” to 70-80’sC via their comfortable temps within the mid 60C range, there IS a problem with the game, NOT the players PC set up. Like many players have said, SOFTWARE is NOT meant to affect HARDWARE like D2R or New World that was bricking EVGA 3090’s. It’s the software that’s making these temps “abnormal” to some, and if people can’t see a 10 or 13 degree difference from playing other highly resourceful intensive games other than ONE game where their temps are usually “normal”, then I don’t know what else to explain.

Is this a work around until Blizzard can get this resolved? You bet. Should “we” provide solutions to our own build to see if it stabilizes temps? Yes and Blizzard should be on the back peddle taking notes from our suggestions/experiences. Although, It works, many people have noticed a significant drop of CPU/GPU temps by making some minor adjustments to FPS, fan curves or even power management on their side. Blizzard don’t have a miracle pill right now to fix everyone’s problems. IF people apply themselves and take some very constructive suggestions from MANY people here who’ve seen their temps drop with improved game performance, should also consider making these adjustments as well. But, for some, they may not want to change their whole set up just for a BETA, which is totally understandable.

I greatly appreciate everyone’s suggestions and feedback within this forum. Let’s hope we have better experience on launch day.

its fixed now, i think. GPU doesnt pull 100% powerlimit anymore, and interacts with settings and load properly. (no vsync no limit other than the 200fps hardcap)

well still a little more than needed, but not 100% PL permanently.