D2R disabled Ultrawide.... So upset

So they removed ultrawide support for the complainers. The game looked so amazing in the alpha. I am so unbelievably disappointed now. Even competitive games have ultrawide, was this really necessary?

16 Likes

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it was the right decision. Unless they can implement proper ultrawide support, where monsters react at a longer range, your attacks cant hit at the full screen range, fog of war effect for PvP or whatever.

5 Likes

I assume this is troll post. Any proof of this?

EDIT - not a troll post. Many users have confirmed beta this weekend is not allowing fully visible ultrawide. This is the only fact thus far, as VV/Blizzard has not commented on this I do not believe.

1 Like

Proof? Im playing right now.

1 Like

Do a screenshot or something and share it.

Honestly, I forgot that beta had started. I saw one other post in the forums saying black bars on ultrawide. If that is true, that really sucks. Gotta say, I am a bit bummed out that they are at the last minute yanking LAN, ultrawide, and delaying ladder.

2 Likes

The fire effects also toned down a ton. It looks considerably worse than the alpha. They reotroactively made the game worse from the alpha. So sad man.

Yeah, while I like the UW disable (unless properly supported), this is quickly turning into a Warcraft 3 repeat.

4 Likes

Why do you like UW disabled? Does it really effect you? It completely ruins alot of my excitement for the game. As well as many other I’m sure.

4 Likes

It would hurt PvP if UW gives players an unfair advantage. It would hurt the game in general if monsters cant respond to players when using UW.
If the issues can be fixed, then sure, it should support UW.

3 Likes

The thing is man, MLG games have ultrawide support. CoD, Rainbow six siege, Counter strike and others. Guess how many pros use UW? None. Its not that big of an advantage. But Blizz caved into the complaints while hurting their product for people who were looking forward to it.

I dont pvp in D2, never have, and never cared to. Why must I get punished for a slight advantage someone else might have? Especially in a game where you can buy godly gear for money anyway…

5 Likes

The monsters reacted just fine in ultrawide. They already expanded from 4:3 to 16:9 and reworked the whole system for monsters reacting to players. It worked the same no matter how far away they were. Maybe there could be a slight advantage in PvP but this isn’t an esports game. That’s ridiculous to ruin the entire experience for every ultrawide user just to make a tiny amount of PvP players happy.

2 Likes

I maintain that if people care that much about PvP (in any game) and want to take it seriously, then go buy the ultrawide monitor. Don’t limit technology from advancing. What about people who used to have HD TVs and others did not? What baout high framerate monitors in FPS games? What about more precise and responsive mouse/controllers? There has always been and always will be hardware advantage. If you are that serious about a games PvP, go invest in the hardware, otherwise just enjoy the game and move on.

5 Likes

You realize you can use the same argument the other way?

That’s ridiculous to ruin the entire experience for every PvP player just to make a tiny amount of ultrawide users happy.

3 Likes

Yes thank you. Exactly. Should they cap framerate at 30fps for everyone to accomodate for the pvpers with 10 year old graphics cards? Of course not so why is my ultrawide monitor any different.

5 Likes

Does that small perceived advantage really ruin the whole game experience for PvP players? Tons of esports games have ultrawide support, FOV adjustments, etc. that can give small advantages. This change ruins the entire gameplay experience, singleplayer, PvE and all for ultrawide users. For PvP players this just removes a small perceived imbalance between players with different hardware in one minor part of the game. If they’re really serious about PvP they can buy an ultrawide monitor. There’s nothing I can buy to make the game work in ultrawide again. Holding back the entire playerbase’s hardware over a small perceived PvP imbalance can’t be the best answer for this. Dumbing down everyone’s hardware to the lowest level so we’re all “equal” is the wrong way to go.

Ruins? You get the same screen size as everyone else, how exactly does that “ruin” anything?

Diablo 2’s pvp usually ends up telestomping or whoever has the best gear wins. Me seeing a bit more on the side hardly ruins the entire experience for every pvp player, but it certainly ruins mine. The difference from the Alpha to this is night and day.

And I’m unbelievably disappointed with this… Just wow.

2 Likes

Being able to see your opponents at a greater distance is a bit more of an advantage than higher framerate.

I haven’t played the technical alpha, but people were describing that it wasnt working. Cant say with any certainty though.
If all the balance problems are fixed, or if they get fixed in the future, then UW should be brought back as soon as they are fixed.

I mean, this is D2 PvP we’re talking about right? “Fair” simply isn’t a word that makes sense to me in that context. (And honestly, it’s weird cheesy mess of balance is probably a big part of its charm.) I don’t see Ultrawide really impacting that much.)

1 Like