D2R Diablo Clone

I know there’s already a thread about it in the D2R section but I cannot comment there
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/diablo-walks-the-earth-spawning-dclone-in-d2r/27376

We seriously need to trigger the Diablo Clone some other way. Selling SOJs was only possible/in the game because they were duped en masse. If duping is gone, the Diablo Clone may as well almost not exist in the game.

How about a farmable solution?
My initial thought was: Maybe he spawns once you killed EVERY act boss but you only get a small CHANCE to drop Annihilius?
I also REALLY like this idea Rogier78 posted though

I think it would be fun that if you clear all superuniques in a hell game you have a 25% of spawning Dclone. Yes a lot of work/ killing, but that gives an incentive to play in groups and play all acts/ parts of the game, at least if you want to hunt for Dclone.

Make it so it’s also possible to get it OFFLINE too in any case.

3 Likes

That’s alot of work for only 25% chance, when you sell duped SoJs for item sink at least you had guaranteed occurance. There’s a huge difference between those. I’m not saying I have the solution but ain’t that a bit ridiculous?

I would go with something like that, but a little different:

Killing every act boss in a Hell game has a chance (20-30%) to spawn Uber Diablo. If Uber DIablo is spawned, then he will always drop an Annihilius charm when killed.

2 Likes

Amazingly there are purists in the D2:R forums arguing against even this change, and simultaneously claiming that there’ll be no duping (possible).

If there really is no duping, and the Diablo Clone system remains unchanged it would be a garbage mechanic that few players would ever even see.

3 Likes

If Vicarious Visions want a change, let it be 2% chance the Dclone spawns the world, after you finish Ball Quest in Hell. It should be very rare.

But. . .
Actually I don’t want them to change anything about this.

1 Like

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/c/d2/d2-general-discussion/32

You can post it at here unless you don’t have the original D2.

1 Like

Without a change, then it’s an “event” that the vast majority of players will never even see. The trick to getting the donkey to keep turning the wheel, is to make him always think that the very next step gets him the carrot.

4 Likes

Maybe you just don’t summon it as often. Sounds like an unintended benefit of dupes.

NO CHANGE!!!

…but on a more serious note, that’s why I said in a previous comment, that Blizzard, at some point, needs to make x2 D2:R versions. One which will remain exactly the same as it is now, for hardcore fans who wants no change, and one with upgrades, aka balances, but it for classes, items , etc.

I think all prime evil bosses should have a clone and if you kill them they drop crafting material that is used to make a anni charm.

They are rare, but have a chance to spawn randomly anywhere in hell. How often they spawn is up to balance but it would not be a server wide thing.

1 Like

It IS quite the time investment but when you consider the possible reward you gain from it then it seems worth it… and I like actually having some form of control over it as a player when it’s farmable with effort, as opposed to anything purely random.
Or relying on other people to sell duped items, haha
Maybe killing EVERY super unique is too much, but the “visit uninteresting areas more often” angle is very interesting if that could be somehow included and balanced around that. Maybe 5 per act or so? If there’s even 5 in act4, haha.

That’s too much, imo. It shouldn’t be TOO easy to get either. They need to find a good balance for that somehow.

Huh, thanks! Is that new? I genuinely never saw that before :smiley:
Will post there too, the more exposure this gets, the better.

I certainly wouldn’t mind if the chance was dropped to somewhere around 5%.

I agree a rethink of DClone spawning/annulus makes sense for the new game that hopefully won’t have any dupes is reasonable.

I think it was added at the same time the D2R forums were.

I see! That explains that, hehe

Lets hope so. forever.

However, such systems always have certain predefined constraints and suddenly turn the game into a predefined working world.

I don’t like it when one makes certain cuts from the outside, or regulates the game in a certain way through exactly such patterns.

Suddenly I don’t play freely and suddenly the game seems like a tunnel, a prison, because it is controlled by others.

Here you have to be very careful not to ruin the game in the end.
Back then you could get SoJ’s by gambling. Was of course an easy method, yes, but for that it still left the player freedom over everything and didn’t start him steering into a lane and thus predefining paths. That’s just totally lousy…

I don’t want to end up being steered by certain interventions. The freedom to determine what you do and still not look worse is the art.
If I now start to shift the game principle and undermine the core, we have a Diablo world, which is hardly perceived, because the game sense was shifted and now suddenly the tunnel, the spiral covers everything else.

I do not want, I do not need, destroys the actual SPiel and the world and thus the sense.
And I feel no fulfillment to exchange my game against any kind of farm operation and tunnel thinking.
Even when I farmed Meph in D2, it was always in part of the whole and didn’t seem cutting in. It was just my decision to try my luck there, but it didn’t hurt the world and faded out, either actually, or in my head.

If Blizz messes that up, the game is history and that applies to all Diablo parts.

1 Like

I’m sorry LordByron but… I don’t think I understood what you are saying. What is your point exactly? :slight_smile:

While I don’t think summoning the Diablo clone should be effortless (as is more or less the case on in Battlenet games right now), if they don’t change the mechanic (and if duping is gone) then very very flew players will ever see it.

The VV team seems like smart people and I’m sure they will address this at some point. Probably during the Alpha, when people will be bombarding them with feedback.

I’m in favor of switching it from XXXX number of SoJ’s triggering the event server wide, to 1 SoJ triggering the event ONLY for the game they were sold in. That way people can make Diablo Clone games, like the used to make for cow run or whatever. More incentive to play together etc.

1 Like

I could live with that - sacrifice a single SoJ for a shot at an anni with variable stats that might be good, might be bad.

1 Like